- Hands on management of all departments of a 200 acre nature-based, oceanfront sustainable tourism resort and attraction, including operations, front desk, reservations, housekeeping, maintenance, retail, food and beverage, tours, programs and special events.
- Complete P&L responsibility. Provided accurate and timely management reporting, created and met operational budgets, implemented cost control systems.
- Achieved 900% increase in visitation, a 400% increase in accommodations revenue and a 500% increase in gross revenues over four years.
- Won major provincial award of excellence for most improved property.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive national and international marketing plan to support strategic business goals.
- Performed extensive community outreach and created strategic partnerships with government agencies and industry stakeholders.
- Coordinated marketing with regional and provincial tourism stakeholders including participating in national and international trade shows.
- Planned and managed substantial facilities renovation and the construction of new accommodations. Contracted with and supervised all trades and contractors.
- Created new revenue streams including eco-tours, educational programs, workshops and special events.
- Applied for, received and administered the largest tourism development grant in the province’s history.
- Supervised, trained and motivated department managers and seasonal staff of up to 50 employees to provide superior customer service and create an outstanding tourism experience.
- Provided marketing consulting and created high quality content for print and online delivery for a wide range of destination marketing organizations and ad agencies. Clients include:
Nova Scotia Tourism
City of Halifax
Atlantic Tourism Partnership
- Provided marketing, operational and business development consulting to an upscale, 50 cottage, 110 room nature-based sustainable tourism destination located near Beaufort, SC.
Created and implemented five year marketing plan
Trained and motivated staff
Assisted in developing new programs and workshops
Planned and co-hosted media tour for travel journalists
- Served as Vice President of the Nova Scotia Adventure Tourism Association, a 150 member business development association of adventure, sustainable and eco-tourism operators. Created and implemented international marketing plan including:
Applying for, receiving and administering numerous tourism grants
Planning and executing international ad campaign
Creating brochures and other marketing materials
Staging public educational programs
Participating in regional, national and international trade shows
- Award-winning travel photojournalist. Authored, co-authored 16 travel guides and large format travel books by major publishers including DK Travel Guides, Barnes and Noble Books, Voyageur Press and National Geographic Books. Articles appeared in numerous magazines including Canadian, Maturity, AAA Car and Travel, Harrowsmith, Vista USA, and Travel America.