Enthusiastic Director of Finance and IT with over 25 years experience in a variety of manufacturing and distribution environments. Key member of senior management team that took Phonak US from a $25 million and 45 employee organization to $300 million and over 500 employees in 13 years. Keen ability to assess organizational strengths, find improvement opportunities and mobilize resources to improve business processes. A practical, systematic leader that motivates teams to implement projects on time and on budget. Known for being resourceful and adaptable in a fast paced arena. A highly skilled analyst, proficient at summarizing and synthesizing data into meaningful information that drives corporate goals. CPA with Masters Degree in Information Systems Management. My forte is in taking small and midsized organizations to the next level. My strengths are in developing high-performing teams, implementing lean controls and processes and building the appropriate foundation and architecture to enable organizations to compete at a higher level. I am a hands-on generalist with deep experience in all areas of accounting, finance and IT in small and mid-sized organizations. As a member of senior management, I have collaborated with my peers in cross-functional teams that identified strategic opportunities, designed appropriate solutions, and implemented those solutions within budget and on time.
Jul 2008 - Oct 2008
Strategy and Business Analysis
Phonak Hearing Systems
Responsible for creating a new position/function for competitive intelligence which would document and appropriately distribute actionable information regarding the market, customers, the competition and internal operations
- Improved sales and marketing effectiveness by creating a customer targeting system. This new information system combines internal sales data with industry sales data and demographic data.
- Acted as Lead on Disciplined Strategic Management Fact Base process. Created fact base to identify profit pools in the market regarding four specific areas including the market, customers, competitors and internal operations. Purpose of this fact base was to provide objective data to drive strategic and tactical business decisions.
Jun 2004 - Jul 2008
Director of IT
Phonak Hearing Systems
Reported to and advised the President and CEO. Worked with peers in other functional areas, and their staff, to identify strategic business needs and proposed and implemented technology solutions. Planned for, developed and directed IT staff including: developers, analysts, network administrators and help desk technicians. Worked with Sonova (parent company) Corporate IT Director to develop long term goals and strategies.
- Project leader/coordinator for the local migration to SAP, as part of a corporate wide implementation – completed on time and within budget. Led implementation team from business side that identified processes and system requirements necessary to meet business needs.
- Successfully led a $400K project to upgrade data infrastructure and implement a VOIP Cisco telephony and call center system. Duties included the search, bid selection, negotiation and project management of the new system.
- Prior to the SAP system - planned and manged the migration of three North American sister companies onto the legacy, AS400 based ERP system. Included coordinating data migration, software modification for local requirements, hardware infrastructure upgrades, data infrastructure changes and local management and user training on the system.
- Budgetary responsibility for the local IT group at approx. $3 million in operating expenses and $500K – $1M in capital additions per year. Additionally had operating control over an additional $2 million of inter-company expenses.
Feb 2002 - Jun 2004
Business System Analyst
Phonak Hearing Systems
Responsible for working with all functional area leaders to identify business needs, develop solutions, document business requirements, create technical specifications and implement solutions.
- Created a bill of materials tracking and costing module that enabled the proper tracking of costs and parts usage. Allowed for proper cost accounting on a work order basis. Allowed for profit numbers by order and product and improved inventory control.
- Customer service team project which developed new front end screens to enable customer service to more effectively deal with customer orders by phone – reduced key strokes and screens needed to access information while giving fast access to ERP system as needed.
- Implemented computer-telephony integration(CTI) that popped the new customer service screen for the customer calling.
- Planning, design and implementation of a data warehouse for improved reporting in the financial, sales and operations areas.
Jun 1995 - Feb 2002
Director of Finance
Phonak Hearing Systems
Reported to and advised the CEO/President. Built and directed a team of eight staff, covering all finance and controlling functions including A/P, A/R, Credit and collections.
- Responsible for monthly financial statement reporting and managerial reporting-both executive and departmental.
- Responsible for annual audit coordination, selection of audit firm, income tax planning, supervision of governmental compliance audits and maintaining banking relationships.
- Responsible for risk management and treasury functions.
- Responsible for IT functions including a) supervising a team of four AS/400 developers, b) implementing dozens of enhancements to the ERP system to improve company processes and reduce costs such as a new hearing aid device status screen and sales reporting and analysis system.
- Responsible for overseeing the HR function including creation of employee manuals, review of company rules and discipline procedures, review of benefits, negotiation and selection of benefit contracts (especially medical/dental), review, design and selection of 401k plans and vendors.
- Responsible for forecasting and budgeting for all sales revenues, cost of goods and operating expenses company wide.
- Led process change to begin department manager driven budgeting process including implementing the technical solution for budget consolidation and mentoring managers in the budget process.
- Led an effective and efficient transition from manual to automated cash management/treasury systems. Improved efficiencies and control of cash flow, productivity and internal controls.
- Supervised the financing, planning and building of new 72,000 sq.ft., $7 million US headquarters.
Jul 1987 - Mar 1995
VP of Finance
Midland Paper Company
Reported to and advised the CEO/President. Built and directed a team of fifteen staff, covering all finance and controlling functions including A/P, A/R and Billing, Credit and collections. Responsible for monthly financial statement reporting as well as managerial reporting for executive and departmental levels. Responsible for annual audit, tax planning, government compliance audits, banking relationships, treasury functions, risk management and budgeting. Responsible for IT including operations and implementation of industry specific ERP systems.