Results-Oriented Integrity-Based Collaboration Team-Builder. Hands-On Legal Leadership Executive.
Jan 2010 - Present
Instructor, Client Development and Relationship Management.
The WJF Institute is the leader in training lawyers in client development and relationship management. Its training mission is to assist law firms, professional service firms, high-tech companies, financial institutions, information services providers, court reporting companies, media companies and major worldwide accounting firms achieve a client-focused business development strategy.
Sep 2009 - Present
Corporate advisory practice focusing on corporate governance, compliance, legal operational support, complex agreements, crisis management, high stakes litigation, contract process streamlining, IP portfolio management, board interaction practices and any matters related to strategic leveraging of legal resources.
Aug 2005 - Dec 2008
SVP and General Counsel and Secretary
Wayport, Inc. Austin/Dallas Texas 2005 – 2008
Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
AV rated General Counsel. Responsibilities included all legal matters including governance, compliance, litigation, IP, M&A, SEC compliance and filings, employment, contracts, counsel to Board of Directors and to the CEO. Developed and implemented governance-based methodology for preparation, conduct and record of board and committee meetings. Ensured company was governance and record-ready for IPO or acquisition.
- $275m sale to AT&T. Achieved smooth, fast merger with AT&T with price increase of $25m during due diligence
- Brought board governance functions up to public company performance level and established governance policies, board committee charters and policy promulgation practices
- Prepared IPO filings,brought internal systems and reporting competencies up to public company compliance levels
- Brought stock and option administration in-house
- Productized sales contracts and established contracts administration function
- Established ISP CALEA compliance
- Established index-based Digital Records Repository and initiated document lifecycle practices
- Successfully defended major IP infringement case resulting in invalidation of opponent’s patents
- $9.5m. sale of non-core patent, initiated cost-center based IP management
- Acquired several European subsidiaries
- Implemented European Compliance Initiative
- Sold Non-core Division
Feb 1999 - Aug 2005
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Broadwing Communications, (fka IXC Communications, Inc.) Austin, Texas1997 – 2005
Vice President, Associate General Counsel and Assistant Secretary, 1999 – 2005
Responsibilities included litigation, sales and vendor contracts, employment, real estate and corporate records services for nationwide communications subsidiary operating a nationwide fiber optic and CLEC network with annual revenues exceeding $1billion. Handled complex transactions, major contract disputes, corporate governance, compliance, HR, IP, regulatory, bankruptcy and work-outs, SEC and NYSE filings and compliance (10Ks, 10Qs, etc.).
- Built effective and efficient legal team
- $100m Deals. Developed network and services deals to grow the company
- Negotiated work-outs with major customers and vendors in bankruptcy realizing 10s of $millions in recoveries
- Crisis-managed major litigation and vendor bankruptcies
- Lead multi-functional team handling WorldCom Bankruptcy in year-long effort achieving extraordinarily favorable global settlement
- Negotiated work-out with PSINet the day before they filed bankruptcy resulting in highly favorable outcome
- Negotiated work-out with Teleglobe in bankruptcy resulting in highly favorable outcome
- Executed many legal and non-legal projects and operations
- Developed Critical Records Center as a cost-savings initiative making instant availability to the desktop a reality
- Developed enterprise-wide SOX compliant document life-cycle management on the Critical Records Center foundation
- Lead on-net/off-net circuit-linkage and analysis automation project
- Lead acquisition of subsidiaries and executed key integration activities
- Successfully managed due diligence and contract compliance through acquisition of the Company by Cincinnati Bell and again by Corvis
Assistant General Counsel and Director of Network Business Development, 1997 – 1998Developed and negotiated fiber purchase and sale agreements. Developed complex transaction agreements.
- $1b Deal. Presented to PSInet Board of Directors and negotiated largest ($1b+) deal in Company history
- Renegotiated Wiltel $200m nationwide fiber agreement to maximize asset treatment and tax benefits for both companies
- Negotiated fiber agreements enabling most of Broadwing’s 20,000 mile network with Companies such as Wiltel, GST, ELI, AT&T, El Paso Global Networks and EPIC
- Delivered the deals that made the Company’s quarter three out of five quarters and drove the Company towards $1b in annual revenues
- Chaired Industry Right-of-Way Group Policy Committee, representing MCI, AT&T, Sprint and the Regional Bell Operating Companies, that developed and published a nationwide Right of Way Policy Paper that was in use for nearly a decade
1997 - 1999
MCI Communications Corporation
MCI Communications Corporation,Richardson, Texas1988 – 1997
Associate Counsel, Law and Public Policy,1996-1997
Responsibilities included nationwide legal and policy support for all matters involving public rights of way and development of legal team for municipal franchise and state legislative matters
- Lead development and implementationof nationwide municipal franchise policy and strategies
- Initiated legislative reform effort. Lead successful industry coalitions at both municipal and state legislative levels. Successfully drafted and lobbied state legislation in Illinois, Colorado, Michigan, California and Texas
- Spoke on industry panels and testified before PUCs and FCC
- Helped found Industry Right-of-Way Group representing MCI, AT&T, Sprint and the Regional Bell Operating Companies
Senior Attorney, 1990-1995
Responsibilities included serving as primary counsel to Texas-based MCI subsidiary, MCIMetro Access Transmission Services, Inc. Was responsible for all MCIMetrolegal and regulatory matters.
- Established commercial contract forms and policies
- Perfected rights to communications facilities located in public rights‑of‑way in over 300 cities across the country
- Negotiated with cities across the country
- Litigated key Right-of Way policy cases in Chicago, White Plains, Cincinnati
- Managed regulatory support, and oversaw regulatory filings for initiation of MCImetro's nationwide local service initiative
- Worked on MCIMetroS-1 and MCI 10Ks and 10Qs
Provided legal support for MCI’s nationwide deployment of its microwave and fiber optic networks. Handled complex municipal and utility right‑of‑way and franchise matters; zoning and land use; commercial contracts and disputes and litigated condemnation cases.
1988 - 1997
1986 - 1988
1979 - Present
University of Richmond
1979 - 1981
University of Richmond School of Law
University of Richmond, T.C.Williams School of Law, J.D., 1982
Carrico Moot Court Competition Winner – 1980; Barnett Moot Court Competition Winning Team – 1980; Barnett Scholarship for Excellence in Legal Writing – 1980; National Moot Court Team- 1981; Internship, Henrico County Circuit Court – 1981; Internship, Henrico County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office. Prosecuted several hundred minor criminal and traffic cases and several appeals to Circuit Court, all as first chair - 1981.
University of Richmond,B.A., Psychology,1979