To add value to an organization with my passion for urban planning and sustainable design, my public sector experience in land use planning and transit-oriented development, and my track record of delivering completed projects.
May 2006 - Jul 2008
Senior-level planner for city of 300,000 adjacent to Denver:
- Managed project teams for large developments, including mixed-use transit-oriented urban development with new light rail station. Successfully obtained design improvements for more sustainable projects.
- Planning liaison on project team for RTD light rail "Fastracks" expansion into city. Made specific design recommendations to transit engineers for station and track locations, given existing constraints and planning opportunities.
- Managed numerous projects including retail, residential, commercial and industrial development applications.
- Negotiated with developers to voluntarily include sustainable features in new developments, such as green roofs, pedestrian connections, access to transit.
- Interpreted complex city zoning and subdivision codes, comprehensive plans and design districts and presented recommendations to City Planning Commission and City Mayor and Council in public hearings.
- Created digital presentation format and trained Planning staff in use of Powerpoints at public hearings.
- Software experience includes ARC GIS, DMS Stellent workflow system, Microsoft Office suite.
Select projects include:
Metro Center: 70-acre mixed use transit-oriented development, with new light rail station and several million feet of residential, retail, and office space.
High Point Conference Center: 470 room hotel and conference facility in business park near future commuter rail.
Village at City Center: 350+ new apartments in 4-story buildings with structured parking within downtown area. Obtained first green roofs in City of Aurora.
Furniture Row distribution center: 625,000sf warehouse (largest building in city) on major interstate.
Waterstone: 180 single-family lots on 56 acres with creek protection and integration into open space.
Mar 2001 - Apr 2006
Professional urban planner for one of fastest-growing counties in U.S. :
- Led project teams for caseload of varied development applications including retail, residential, industrial, and commercial developments.
- Managed development team for first landfill-to-park reclamation in County.
- Negotiated with developers to achieve successful design and site planning, in accordance with County master plan, zoning and subdivision resolutions.
- Co-authored "Recreation & Tourism Master Plan" for County Comprehensive Plan. Convened technical advisory committee, conducted field research, hosted public meetings.
- Presented development applications at public hearings to County Commissioners.
Select projects include:
Lorenz Park: I managed the entitlement process for the first landfill-to-park conversion in the County. The 100-acre project won Merit Award for Land Stewardship Design from ASLA, and was showcased in Public Works Magazine.
Bears Den:575-acre rural cluster subdivision, protecting natural features including creek, hillsides, major elk and deer habitat corridors, wildfire mitigation.
Douglas County Comprehensive Master Plan: Recreation & Tourism: co-authored new element of county master plan including all research, citizen advisory committee, public open houses, recommendation to Planning Commission. Project was showcased by Colorado APA at annual state convention.
Cherry Hills Community Church:several expansions of 66-acre megachurch site.
1985 - 1990
Aug 1995 - May 2000
Master of Urban & Regional Planning
- GPA: 3.8
Sep 1980 - May 1984
- GPA: 3.3
- Cum Laude and Honors in the Major
- Delegate, "Student Conference on United States Affairs", USMA, West Point, NY, 1982
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges, 1983-84
- Outstanding Young Women of America, 1983.
"Demographic and Economic Trends," Journal of Housing Research, Vol. 1, 1990.