Director, Patient Financial Services
Lawrence General Hospital - Director, Patient Financial Services
Directing all revenue cycle management/operational functions related to $550 million in billing and collections for a 189 bed community hospital with 75, 000 ER visits and 330, 000 outpatient Article 28 visits. Over one hundred direct reports ranging from scheduling, pre-registration, financial clearance, registration, billing, cash control, follow up, collections, self-pay billing management, bad debt, and vendor management.
- Reduced accounts receivable from a high post implementation of $100 million in 2012-2013 to mid $50 million and AR days at mid 40’s in 2016.
- Implemented tools, technology and processes at the front end resulting in reduced patient access denials by 50%.
- Collaborated with team to created individual work queues for each biller depending upon certain criteria to drive efficient billing and follow-up.
- Engaged a full ChargeMaster review resulting in findings yielding $2,000,000 in potential revenue lift.
- Orchestrated the onboarding of all previously outsourced physician billing and integrated such to the HIS system, which was previously thought not possible resulting in a savings in excess of $350,000.
- Collaborated with team and vendor to create split billing functionality within HIS system resulting in the improvement of claims processing by over15%. This was previously though not possible.
- Created sets of dashboards and metrics monitoring tools in business intelligence application to manage accounts receivable on a daily detailed basis.
- Collaborated with consultants to redesign the financial counselors program effectively transforming the role from benefit specialists to true financial counseling resulting in better co pay collections and insurance application process.
- Implemented the HFMA Certified Patient Communications Program and required all financial counselors to take the program. We were the first hospital in the northeast and second hospital nationally to implement such a program.
- Collaborated with a nationally recognized consulting firm to redesign the patient access process of the front end revenue cycle resulting in improved registration quality from an accuracy rate of low 80% to 97%, increased copay collection by 800%, and denials reductions of 50%.
- Researched, negotiated, and implemented a revenue cycle training curriculum for entire staff.
- Exceptional vendor management relationships resulting in new ideas to reduce AR balances and improve collections.
- Continuously improving operations resulting in reduction of staff by 8 FTE’s.
- Redesigned cash control processes resulting in increased efficiency and a 40 % reduction in staff.
- Exceptional technical expertise, team builder, and collaborator.