Broad and diverse management experience building new businesses, strategies and collaborative partnerships. Experienced cross-cultural manager with deep expertise in Japanese and Asian business practices and culture. Successful in entrepreneurial, corporate and non-profit settings.
2007 - Present
Established consulting practice, developed new business and delivered client engagements.
- Helped clients, including NAVTEQ, Corning, Pfizer and others, address problems with their Japanese sales, operations and partnerships through one-on-one and group consulting and coaching on Japanese business practices and culture.
- Collaborated with Hyatt Hotels to strengthen its global online presence by identifying, profiling and vetting over 50 potential sales partners in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
- Reversed corporate membership decline at the Japan America Society of Chicago by increasing member outreach, implementing online marketing programs and improving tracking and reporting, resulting in 30% membership growth in one year. (Pro bono)
Jul 2004 - Jul 2006
Recruited by CEO for newly created general management role to grow $50 million line of business and rebuild relationship with strategic partner and parent NTT Communications. Hired and managed team of 6 engagement management and technology professionals.
- Reestablished Verio’s damaged credibility with NTT by selling $6 million market research and IT services project within first 3 months and delivering on time and within budget.
- Generated $35 million incremental revenue to meet corporate targets despite constrained development resources by leading deal team that closed Verio’s first software licensing deals.
- Led breakthrough that established Verio as a strategic supplier of operations software that saved NTT millions and generated $2 million in annual maintenance revenue for Verio.
- Negotiated and project managed implementation of Verio restructuring plan, resulting in the successful integration of a $70 million business unit into NTT America within 120 days.
Mar 2003 - Feb 2004
Vice President, Product Management
Recruited by CEO to revitalize slowing sales of company’s flagship online advertising platform ($30 million annual sales) and manage fractious relationship with four publishing partners. Directed team of 2 product managers.
- Exceeded sales target by 50% ($2 million) in the face of weak global economy and Iraq war by increasing price yield through controlled sales promotions and enhanced sales training.
- Quashed persistent rumors about reach of advertising by teaming with VP Marketing to convince publishers to jointly disclose and promote for the first time their proprietary audience data.
Aug 1994 - Feb 2003
Founder and President
Recruited Singapore-based business partners, formed alliances and headed content creation, customer acquisition and ad sales. Exited the business by licensing assets to a new entrant.
- Addressed unmet need for online tools for travel professionals by creating new brand and distributing original content supported by advertising, which resulted in audience growing from zero to 20,000 registered users and sponsored email from zero to one million messages per month.
- Partnered with Singapore-based Ken-Air Travel to develop and launch first website that enabled travel agents to book discount hotel rooms online.
- Generated personal and company exposure as the result of publishing regularly in leading trade magazines (over 20 articles) and being invited to present to 6 industry seminars as expert speaker and panelist.
1986 - 1994
General Manager, Asia/Pacific
Promoted to manage and grow P&L for break-even $35 million division, including sales, marketing, customer service and product development. Managed 6 direct reports and total of 60 staff in Japan, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Taiwan, Philippines, Australia and New Zealand.
- Improved profitability and strengthened competitive position by refocusing sales and marketing activities on high-volume customers, resulting in $10 million (30%) growth in revenue and $3.5 million (700%) increase in profits over three years.
- Responded to competitive product pressure by developing and deploying within 9 months the industry’s first Mac-based product in English, Japanese and Chinese, and selling upgrades to 90% of existing customers, which grew annual revenue $1.5 million.
- Extended sales reach and grew volume by negotiating new partnerships with three established airlines that produced $4 million incremental sales and usage revenue annually.