- Deadline-driven, flexible, and logical technical/creative writer with natural ability to understand, analyze, and explain complicated information to technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- A “professional explainer” with extensive experience and significant accomplishments in writing, editing, producing, improving and layout of documents.
- Expert-level MS Word skills, strong MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, SnagIt skills.
- Results-driven, detail-oriented, a self-starting professional with proven ability to take the initiative.
- Able to work as a team player or independently as needed.
- Excellent supervision and communication skills.
- Accurate and efficient in the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Proponent of Plain English in technical documentation.
- Trained in Information Mapping and the JPL Levels of Edit, familiar with the use of the FAA Air Transportation Oversight System (ATOS) and Safety Attribute Inspections (SAI), MLA and APA styles.
- Long-term or permanent position as technical writer/editor in an aviation or IT-related position.
Apr 2007 - Sep 2011
- Technical writer at Ft. Detrick, MD supporting United States Army Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support (DMLSS), DCAM and CUD software using MS Word, RoboHelp and MS PowerPoint.
- Offering guidance and instruction on MS Word to team members.
- Using MS Word to create, edit and revise document templates using Styles and Formatting, software documentation and software manuals to IEEE standards.
- Create and modify PowerPoint presentations for leadership.
- Position eliminated due to budget cuts at organization and program shutdowns.
Mar 2006 - Nov 2006
QA Technical Writer
- Revised Boeing 767-200ER aircraft manuals, internal airline manuals and maintenance work cards to standardize terminology, formats and fonts in MS Word.
- Proofread, edited hard and softcopy.
- Corrected factual errors, grammar, spelling, and typographical errors.
- Administered company’s proprietary electronic information database for internal use.
Dec 2003 - Jan 2006
CS Technical Writer
- Personally responsible for, researched, wrote, edited, and revised sections of United Express and Delta Connection Station Operations Manuals and the Independence Air Customer Care Manual. MS Word, Publisher and PowerPoint skills were heavily used in these projects.
- Wrote Innovation in Action bulletin series which was included in the Customer Care Manual on revision.
- Responsible for weekly CS IReporter Customer Service newsletter to disseminate new policy information and reminders to field.
- Documented internal computer reservations and office software for employee training.
- Researched and wrote airport vehicle and ground equipment operation instructions, Ramp Agent and Customer Service agent training material and guidelines, and general company-wide Policy and Procedures.
- Create and modify PowerPoint presentations for Subject Matter Experts, Training Instructors and Classes.
- Interviewed subject matter experts, such as management, computer programmers, flight crew members, instructors, front-line employees, for the above documents.
- Hand-picked after six months to summarize confidential Department of Homeland Security and Transportation Safety Administration aviation-security related information for in-house use by various audiences. Summaries are critical to employee security training and employee management of security issues.
- After one year, received, coordinated, and answered questions on Customer Service Help Desk phone line.
- After one year, administered internal Company database files in Navitaire/Open Skies reservations system for front-line employee use.
- After sixteen months, administered accountable documents (ticket stock, vouchers, drafts, etc.) recording system.
- Member of beta test team (software/website bug detection and usability studies) for award-winning www.FLYi.com web site.
May 1979 - Feb 2000
Lead Customer Service Agent
Air Wisconsin/United Express
- Five years experience in supervising high-volume airline ramp and customer service operations at O’Hare International Airport.
- Administrative “high-access user” (super user) on United Air Lines Apollo computer reservations system which entailed the responsibility for oversight of all Air Wisconsin/United Express files.
- Supervised United Express Lost/Damaged baggage service office in Springfield, MO to maintain Company standards. Reviewed and corrected files to ensure accurate information to other departments and customers.
- Trained employeesin safe, efficient, airline ground and customer service operations, airport security, aircraft servicing, effective customer service, baggage service, air freight, proper cash handling procedures, and efficient ticket counter operation.
- Reviewed, investigated, and corrected approximately half of the Air Wisconsin/United Express system’s lost luggage files. This work directly lowered lost/damaged baggage statistics reported to Department of Transportation, as well as company costs.
- Ground Security Coordinator Designee and Conflict Resolution Officer (1996-2001) directly responsible for supervision of day-to-day airline security checkpoint, explained regulations to security employees and customers at checkpoint. Negotiated and resolved ADA-related issues with customers.
- Supervised up to fifteen employees in airline customer service and ground operations to maintain a safe, on-time operation.
- Negotiated and resolved problems with workers and customers to ensure smooth operation and satisfied customers.
Aug 2000 - Aug 2003
Degree with concentration in technical writing and editing.