Promoted to be responsible for supplier performance management in terms of Quality, Cost, Logistics and Development of 56 vendors with a spend of US$ 16 million supplying “Machine” critical hydraulic systems and hardware components.
Project leader (Indian site) - Development of Hydraulic Cylinders for 100 Tonne Payload truck Pilot version
Led the project with WIPRO Infrastructure, the world’s second largest Cylinder manufacturer, to localize cylinders. Some core activities of my Team under the Production Part Approval process PPAP involved:
- Design clarification / process developmentfor WIPRO
- Bills of material routing and scoping of component supply.
- Verification of machinery, layout and investment planning.
- Sourcing of castings, forgings and tubesfor Pilot and Production lots.
- Cost modeling & Price Negotiation and structuring of Long term Agreement.
- Capacity Planning & Confirmation of Wipro and Tier -II sources.
- Delivered training via workshops for 35 WIPRO Engineers on “CLEAN ROOM” specifications and procedures.
Introduction of SX – 14 Hydraulic valve for Back Hoe Loader
- Worked with Bosch Rexroth US & France, a leading Hydraulic systems supplier and a strategic source for Caterpillar to introduce a mechanical version of the SX-14 valve for Indian Back Hoe Loaders.
- Developed allied tubes, Hydraulic fittings and fasteners using PPAP procedures.
Introduction of indigenously designed swing cylinders
- Co –ordinated between the design team of CAT India and WIPRO to introduce a new version of Swing cylinders to improve “cushioning effect” in the back Hoe Loader and reduce the cycle time.
Hardware components sourcing for New Product Introduction
- Developed and executed sourcing plan through Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) for over 250 components in fasteners and hardware category.
Vendor Base Consolidation through 6 Sigma Strategic Sourcing (6SSS) of Hardware components
- Developed revised sourcing plan for over 1,500 hardware componentswith the following key results:
- Cost savings was estimated at US$ 90,000 by re-sourcing 25 components .
- The vendor base was planned to be reduced from 45 to 19 suppliers in 4 months.
- Savings in man-hours of one full time buyer.