Sep 2008 - Sep 2009
Jul 2000 - May 2004
Bachelor of Engineering
University of Madras
- Graduated with 79.8%.
- Rs.30 lacs savings as a part of the final year project work undertaken with Brakes India - Chennai in Inventory control by adopting “Milk Run” system with 10 suppliers of Brakes India.
- Placements for over 200 Students in the year 2004., and for self at Caterpillar India.
- Student Chairman 2004: Indian Society of Technical Education (ISTE)
- Chief Student Co-ordinator : Mechanical Engineering Dept. (2003 - 2004)
- Leader - Quality Cycle : Mechanical Engineering Dept. (2002 - 2003)
Apr 2007 - May 2008
Supplier Development Officer
Caterpillar India - Machines Division
Promoted to be responsible for supplier performance management in terms of Quality, Cost, Logistics and Development of 56 vendors with a spend of US$ 16 million supplying “Machine” critical hydraulic systems and hardware components.
Project leader (Indian site) - Development of Hydraulic Cylinders for 100 Tonne Payload truck Pilot version
Led the project with WIPRO Infrastructure, the world’s second largest Cylinder manufacturer, to localize cylinders. Some core activities of my Team under the Production Part Approval process PPAP involved:
- Design clarification / process developmentfor WIPRO
- Bills of material routing and scoping of component supply.
- Verification of machinery, layout and investment planning.
- Sourcing of castings, forgings and tubesfor Pilot and Production lots.
- Cost modeling & Price Negotiation and structuring of Long term Agreement.
- Capacity Planning & Confirmation of Wipro and Tier -II sources.
- Delivered training via workshops for 35 WIPRO Engineers on “CLEAN ROOM” specifications and procedures.
Introduction of SX – 14 Hydraulic valve for Back Hoe Loader
- Worked with Bosch Rexroth US & France, a leading Hydraulic systems supplier and a strategic source for Caterpillar to introduce a mechanical version of the SX-14 valve for Indian Back Hoe Loaders.
- Developed allied tubes, Hydraulic fittings and fasteners using PPAP procedures.
Introduction of indigenously designed swing cylinders
- Co –ordinated between the design team of CAT India and WIPRO to introduce a new version of Swing cylinders to improve “cushioning effect” in the back Hoe Loader and reduce the cycle time.
Hardware components sourcing for New Product Introduction
- Developed and executed sourcing plan through Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) for over 250 components in fasteners and hardware category.
Vendor Base Consolidation through 6 Sigma Strategic Sourcing (6SSS) of Hardware components
- Developed revised sourcing plan for over 1,500 hardware componentswith the following key results:
- Cost savings was estimated at US$ 90,000 by re-sourcing 25 components .
- The vendor base was planned to be reduced from 45 to 19 suppliers in 4 months.
- Savings in man-hours of one full time buyer.
Apr 2005 - Mar 2007
Advanced Purchaing Analyst
Caterpillar India - Engines Division
Promoted to manage commercial and quality aspects for a purchasing spend of US$ 3 million from over 40 suppliers supplying 1500 components of fabrications, hydraulic fittings, hardware and machined components.
- Cost reduction by re – negotiating on steel rates to achieve savings of US$ 96,000.
- Strategic Sourcing of machined components resulting in a saving of US$ 30,000
- Reduced vendor base by 66% at inter-plant levels for Hydraulic fittings..
- Revived heavy fabrication vendors out of capacity constraints using Lean and Theory of Constraints.
- Reduced rejection levels of core engine components like valve guides by implementing robust cleanliness practices at supplier premises
- Reduced warranty claims by US$ 64,000 through a 6 sigma green belt lead quality project.
- Performed regular Planned Method Audits as a part of supplier quality monitoring
- Negotiated long term agreements with various hardware suppliers for volume discounts.
- Took up additional responsibility of reviving 15 suppliers of our machines division out of shortages.
Jul 2004 - Mar 2005
Purchasing / Supply Chain Analyst (Graduate Trainee)
Caterpillar India - Engines Division
Managed -Scheduling, Procurement and Logistic aspects of 20 Suppliers using SAP R3. – MM Modules
- Trained 22 co –workers on the usage of SAP R3 for Material requirement Planning (MRP)
- Provided logistic solution to 5 vendors resulting in a cost benefit of US$ 2,000 each.
- Ensured the supplier delivery performance was maintained above 95%.
Special Projects as a 6Sigma Certified Green belt
Elimination of Shortages
- Increased Material availability from 66% to 96 % across the entire vendor base.
- Devised control plans and indices to ensure 100% material availability and Supplier Delivery Performance at 95%
Employee Opinion Poll
- Conducted employee opinion surveys at interplant levels.
- Made action plans to improve indices of :
- Employee Engagement
- Change Management
- Learning & Development