Forward-thinking, creative health education professional with a proven record in K-12 program development, expansion and statewide implementation. Successful grant writer/fundraiser, and project manager able to take ideas from on-paper concepts to in-school programs. Enthusiastic supporter of health education programs that educate and empower participants, with a 'practice what you preach' attitude toward health and fitness.
Partnership and Coalition Building
Project Director/Project Manager
May 2006 - Jun 2011
Team Nutrition Coordinator
Secured over $2.8 million in competitive grant funding since May 2006. Expanded participation in Power Panther Pals, a health education program for elementary students, by over 80% to reach over 9,000 students annually. Developed 4 new health education programs targeting students, staff, family and community members.
Position scope and duties:
- Plan and direct Team Nutrition grant activities;
- Accountable for multiple grant budgets totaling an average of $350,000 at any given time;
- Manage telecommuting and in-office consultants;
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate multiple statewide health education programs;
- Monitor grantee activities in over 150 schools and child care centers in over 80 school districts;
- Provide resources and technical assistance to schools and child care centers;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with foundations and associations;
- Report on grant activties to the USDA and other funders;
- Develop, update and maintain the Kansas Team Nutrition website;
- Oversee the development and operation of the Body Venture traveling health education exhibit.
Aug 2005 - Apr 2006
Teach and evaluate students in the Health Promotions and Athletic Training programs. Classes taught totaled 12 credit-hours per semester and included:
- Community Health
- American Red Cross Responding to Emergencies (First Aid, CPR and AED)
- Health for Human Wholeness
- Clinical Education (Athletic Training)
Member of the Health, Physical Education and Recreation Department's undergraduate committee.
Nov 2003 - Apr 2006
Approved Clinical Instructor
Position requirements included:
- Educate undergraduate athletic training students in prevention, evaluation, care and rehabilitation of athletic injuries in a clinical setting.
- Teach Clinical Education II for Emporia State University's Athletic Training Education Program.
Aug 2003 - May 2005
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Position requirements included teaching the following classes:
- American Red Cross Responding to Emergencies (First Aid, CPR and AED),
- Lifetime Fitness
Member of the Health, Physical Education and Recreation Department's graduate committee.
Aug 2003 - May 2005
Master of Science
Emporia State University
Major: Health and Physical Education
Aug 1999 - May 2003
Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training
Major: Athletic Training