IT Support Engineer II- Team Lead
Reporting to the IT manager & Regional Managers, and currently acting as site IT Manager, I lead a team of 8 IT Support Technicians and 2 IT Support Engineers I who have been supporting me on achieving the following great accomplishments up to now:
- Successfully led the launch of the first Sortation Center in Italy (MXP8): Going from program management, deliverables analysis, procurement and technical implementations collaborating with the project stakeholders, I managed aCAPEX budget of up to 1.3M€, dealt with various ambiguities and ended up delivering a strong IT infrastructure despite tight deadlines.
- Successfully led the expansion of the first Fulfillment Center in Italy (MXP5): Being the IT first PoC and bridging between Business needs and IT, I drove MXP5 expansion from IT solutions prospective with a budget of 600K€, consisting of a deployment of 3 new cells, about 200 APs, over 300 productions stations etc.
- Deployment of 7 new IDFs without disrupting operations: IDFs comprising the company latest network devices and IOS standards
- Successfully coordinated the site servers migration to Amazon Linux: To comply with the security and latest server infrastructure server, I coordinated the deprecation of Red-hat production servers and migrated the hosts to AL, all successfully without impact on operations.
- Interviewed about 50 candidates: For Amazon MXP5 and new Amazon sites in Italy and Europe, in which 90% for IT Engineers and Tech Positions and 10% for operation/management positions.
- Change Management Bar Raiser: reviewed and validated or rejected over 100 changes on Amazon Infrastructure accross Europe sites.
- IT Policies and Standards: Wrote about 10 new IT policies and procedures for Amazon infrastructures, reviewed and approved.
- Proxy of the IT Manager and acted as IT Manager for about 30% of my time in Amazon. This has been consisting of attending morning meetings with Operations, taking key decisions to site development.
- MDM cloud migration: Upon request from the company MDM global team, I regionally coordinated the migration of thousands of the company mobile devices to a cloud based centralized solution.
- New AP product experimentation and adoption: Researched a supplier and successfully tested a new model of Wireless solution for some atypical FC areas. The product has been validated worldwide and is being adopted by new sites.
- 3 small sites provisioning and launch: Coordinated with my team the preparation and provision of 3 Amazon Delivery Stations with IT equipment.
- Contributes to new sites launches/expansions in Europe (MAD4-Spain, ORY1-France ).
- MXP3 Launch IT Project Lead: Currently appointed as IT site leader for the launch of a new fulfillment center in Italy (MXP3).
- FCO1 launch team: Currently part of the IT team for the launch of a new Amazon FC in Rome.
>> Moreover, below is a high view of my day to day duties and mission at Amazon:
- Own and manage the site core infrastructure consisting of WAN links, LAN technologies/devices, main distribution frame, intermediate distribution frame, VPN and aggregator routing, distribution and access switches, Linux/Windows servers and the site inter-connectivity with the data center
- Own lead the site projects
- PoC on traducing Operation/Business requests to satisfactory solutions
- Coordinate the team tasks, ticketing system, aiming at ensuring that all IT equipment and infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all departmental KPIs and SLAs are met.
- Ran projects across the sites in Italy, working closely with the business, team, contractors and fellow engineers, to implement changes and/or additions to the site’s technology infrastructure to support changing business and IT requirements.
- The supervision and day-to-day management of IT technicians, including managing workloads of the team and reporting back to the IT manager and regional IT management.
- Team development over constant 1:1 and processes empowerment. Contribute to sites on call schedule.
Provide mentoring and training to technicians and other engineers and act as technical contact for remote support teams as and when required.
- Manage the availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through continuous improvement and continuously look to improve resources efficiency and cost reductions accordingly. Perform random site audits on technical infrastructure to ensure adherence to latest Amazon IT policies, standard and Health & Safety guidelines.
- Act as a point of contact for contractors or external suppliers and clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
- To keep key stakeholders informed of progress of projects and maintain project documentation.
- Coordinate asset and Inventory management including checks / audits in line with standards and processes including Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) processes with suppliers. Interact with suppliers, request quotes and purchase equipment in accordance with policies, budgets and operational demand.
- Represent the IT department in site meetings / conference calls.
- Produce weekly reports covering metrics and work performed.
- Constantly meet Management, Business and Customers to discuss the their needs from IT prospective.
- Traveling at around 30% for other/ new sites support, meetings, and training across Europe