Mountain bike racing, road biking, golf, fresh and saltwater sport fishing, skiing, scuba diving, boating, landscape design, and other outdoor activities
Multifaceted Information Technology executive with experience managing corporate IT, commercial software development, and complex program/project delivery. Industry experience includes supply chain, transportation management, manufacturing, commercial software, insurance, global shared services, airline, bad debt collections, and home construction. Seasoned in start-up strategy and execution, assessing difficult situations, thinking "out of the box", developing actionable strategy, and managing tactical execution.
Oct 2007 - Present
Currently leading Information Technology team to provide strategic direction and tactical management of IT operations for a $154 million Third-Party Logistics (3PL) transportation management firm. The vast majority of the enterprise's revenue is generated via proprietary, web based Software as a Service (SaaS) serving customers including GM, Ford, YRC Logistics, Schneider Logistics, General Dynamics, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Eaton, Celestica, and other Fortune 1000 enterprises. Turned IT Department around by restructuring the organization, implementing Service Management best practices, addressing many significant infrastructure deficiencies, rightsizing the team, and recruiting top notch individuals.
- Began position (http://www.activeaero.com/pdf/2007-11-13-GregDavidson.pdf)with IT Department in crisis mode with a mission critical Internet application that clearly missed the target. Addressed serious performance, downtime, functionality defects, customer satisfaction, and quality issues, rapidly yielding an industry leading application. Since the application's delivery in 2007, the ground expedite line of business has increased 40%, growing from $35.2 to $49.4 million annual revenue, despite the recent economic downturn.
- Implemented numerous CMMI and ITIL processes as part of this large scale IT turnaround effort, significantly improving on time delivery, release content quantity and systems quality.
- Rapidly addressed numerous severe infrastructure issues. Led a key effort to identify and eliminate multiple single points of failure. Successfully delivered significant improvements that significantly reduced cost and improved systems reliability. Since third party measurements began July 1, 2008, IT systems availability is greater than 99.99%.
- Implemented a Portfolio Management process in order to align and prioritize IT initiatives with business objectives. Delivered Architectural Roadmap that defines strategic direction for IT investment through 2010.
- Partnered with business leadership to deliver a robust Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery Plan proven by the Business via quarterly tests of well defined business continuity processes and offsite infrastructure.
- Deployed Wireless Expense Management processes, renegotiated vendor contracts, and delivered monthly expense reporting that resulted in annual savings of $80,000. Introduced additional telecommunications cost savings exceeding $120,000 per year.
2002 - 2007
Corporate Vice President, Information Systems (2005 - 2007)
Managed Information Technology resources for a national $140 million professional services firm while also serving as an IT management consultant to Fortune 500 clients. Successfully performed the role of a Turnaround CIO. Performed IT organizational triage and developed a turnaround strategy. Quickly gained business support and addressed systems performance, project delivery, low internal customer satisfaction, and application reliability issues.
- Established IT User Council with the business to provide IT governance, prioritized major initiatives, built consensus, and optimized alignment of IT resources to the business.
- Delivered key ITIL processes that incorporated a new, centralized Help Desk system and an IT Support website to improve the provision of IT services to end users. Established an IT Support Survey for providing end user feedback into the continuous improvement process. Significantly raised customer satisfaction.
- Managed complete upgrade of 15 mission critical servers. Established application testing methodology and built-out separate development and test environments.
- Implemented and documented corporate IT policies and procedures, built-out and implemented a robust Disaster Recovery site (confirmed via formal and independent User Acceptance Testing).
- Migrated network architecture from a costly point-to-point design to Sprint MPLS. Renegotiated land-based telecom contracts into a single, national contract. Established a national cellular phone and wireless services support program including the creation of a national agreement with Verizon. Delivered annual savings from these initiatives that exceeded $210,000.
- Implemented real-time data center monitoring and alarm notification for key systems resources.
- Deployed a corporate intranet site and a Professional Services Knowledge Management website to streamline and simplify business operations.
- Managed the conversion of several acquired companies' applications systems to the corporate systems.
Vice President, Professional Services Delivery- Accretive Solutions (2002 to 2007)
Managed the delivery of IT professional services being provided to a number of clients including Pulte Homes, ADP, General Motors, Affiliated Computer Services, OnStar, Delphi, GMAC Finance, GMAC Insurance, Meadowbrook Insurance Group, and Asset Acceptance Credit Corporation.
- As a senior member of the Detroit office management team, built professional services business and drove annual IT consulting revenues from $3 million to $22 million from 2002 to 2007, often serving in a sales role, developing client proposals and serving as lead consultant on new accounts. Sales team members referred to Greg as the "tip of the sword" in terms of developing new accounts and expanding client services.
- Provided management consulting services to Active Aero Group to assess Information Technology processes, delivered recommendations, and implemented best practices. Later during this engagement served as Interim CIO over a very productive four month period that later led to employment by this client.
- Delivered successful management consulting engagements with the CIOs of publicly held Meadowbrook Insurance Group (MIG), Pulte Homes, GMAC Finance, GMAC Insurance, and Asset Acceptance Credit Corporation.
- Sold the engagement and delivered management consulting services to Affiliated Computer Services (ACS) for their Program Management Office (PMO) implementation for multiple projects to deliver a large scale, $250 million European Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) contract based in Barcelona, Spain. Led a team of international program managers to build out ACS' European Programme Management Office (PMO) for a ten-country consolidation of GM Europe's HR and payroll processing (59 total systems) into PeopleSoft (HR) and SAP (payroll).
- Provided management consulting services to reorganize GM Business Services' IS&S organization. Managed GM Business Services' implementation of CMMI. Oversaw PMO operations for the successful achievement of CMMI Level 2, making GM Business Services the first GM IS&S organization to do so.
- Later managed three troubled Business Process Outsourcing programs involving multiple concurrent projects. Successfully turned around each program with a very high level of business and IS&S customer satisfaction
- Directly engaged with OnStar to deliver ITIL process implementation and management consulting (process refinement, major incident analysis, development and management of corrective action, and data center consolidation). Led a small, multi-vendor team to resolve a complex systems issue that had caused over $1 million worth of wasted call center advisor time. Successfully managed and later reorganized OnStar's application support and enhancement resulting in superior software maintenance service delivery in addition to delivering significant cost savings (in excess of $1.2 million annually). In 2005 designed an IT architecture team to provide oversight over all OnStar IT deliveries, leading to $7 million in revenue over 3 years.
1998 - 2002
President and CEO
NeoVision provided professional services for Internet software development for several organizations in order to self-fund product development. NeoVision primarily created an Internet software development product known as Visual iRAD. Visual iRAD automates the development of n-tier browser-based database applications.
- Developed and managed a strong relationship with Microsoft, becoming one of only 26 software companies worldwide to earn the distinction of Visual Studio Integration Partner. Negotiated software distribution agreements with Programmer's Paradise and Objectools.com.
- Delivered software and software engineering services to clients that included MessageMedia (and their client Yahoo), Sage Software, Reynolds and Reynolds, Wayne State University, Intellisol International, and others.
1994 - 1998
Vice President, Enterprise Engineering
Founded Systems Engineering Group and within one year was acquired by publicly held State of the Art (NASDAQ: SOTA). Rapidly recruited and built a cohesive, multi-site software development team at SOTA. Managed at times over 110 software development professionals building commercial, mid-market ERP applications from the ground up. Responsibilities included systems development and product marketing.
- As a key, senior member of the executive management team managing 25% of the company's headcount, grew this publicly held company from $45 to over $80 million in three years, increasing stock value from $7 to $22 per share.
- Directed this multi-site team from the ground up delivering 5 versions of a complete suite of mid-market ERP applications. Additional information on the MAS 500 ERP product may be found at http://www.sagemas.com/products/sagemas500/. This world class enterprise software product won the Microsoft Industry Solutions Awards three years in a row (1997-1999) and at times competed for this award with as many as 57 companies internationally.
- Built State of the Art's first QA department. Implemented the Software Engineering Institute's (SEI) Capability Maturity Model (CMM) best practices, significantly reducing delivery time and increasing product quality.
- Built out a software performance testing lab and set of testing processes to ensure customer satisfaction with new product releases.
- Proactively led and implemented new processes to streamline software product delivery synchronization with Sales, Support, Production, and Training Departments to ensure cohesive corporate preparedness for new software offerings.
- Effectively managed a $25 million development budget and over 110 software developers working in 3 development centers: Troy, Michigan; Irvine, California; and New Delhi, India.
1989 - 1994
Vice President, Product Development
Founded Systems Engineering Associates which was acquired by Platinum Software in 1992. After Platinum's acquisition, responsibilities included product marketing and software engineering concerning both client/server product development and custom software services to firms including AT&T, Vail Associates, Goldman Sachs, and Tesoro Petroleum. Maintained strong customer relationships and worked closely with Sales team.
- Managed product marketing and software development activities for two Platinum Software ERP product lines and won the PC Magazine Editors Choice Award in 1993 for accounting software.
- Led growth of Platinum's Michigan Development Center from 18 to 93 software developers within one year. Managed a total of 165 software development professionals. Built and managed Platinum's first Product Management and QA organizations.
- Managed global software development efforts with software engineering teams in Troy, Michigan, Irvine, California, Auckland, New Zealand, and London, United Kingdom.
- Platinum Software changed its name to Epicor (www.epicor.com) in 1995.
1983 - 1989
Early Career (details available upon request)
From 1983 to 1989 worked as a Senior Software Engineer for Applied Processing Systems in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as a Systems Engineer for Electronic Data Systems (GM account) in Pontiac, Michigan, and as a System Manager/Programmer Analyst at Foamade Industries, Auburn Hills, Michigan.