VP, Administration & Customer Loyalty
Subaru Canada Inc.(May 1991 to June 2015)
With the ongoing assistance and support of a highly talented and dedicated team, this role encompassed the strategic oversight and direction covering areas relating to employees, customers, information technology and administration in a rapidly changing, highly competitive and complex environment.
- responsible for all aspects of human resources including compensation and benefits, hiring, performance appraisals, training and development, coaching, relationship management, disciplinary actions, formal and informal harassment resolution, terminations, pension and retirement programs, etc.
- focused on the ongoing strategic alignment of corporate objectives with employee goals to help facilitate an increase in annual vehicle sales from 7,000+ units to 42,000+ units (> $1.2B in revenue) with only marginal increases in headcount
- sponsored and assisted in the migration to SuccessFactors, a cloud-based employee performance appraisal system, which greatly improved the levels of engagement and collaboration between employees and managers with respect to goal setting, performance management and employee development
- worked closely with Caliper Canada to optimize recruitment decisions and to design and incorporate methodologies for the ongoing identification and development of high potential employees for succession planning purposes
- through a variety of programs and employee engagement initiatives, we consistently maintained a voluntary employee turnover rate of < 5% and exceptionally low levels of absenteeism
Customer Experience & Loyalty:
- executed a strategy to merge the Customer Experience department (call centre, conflict resolution, etc.) with the Customer Loyalty department (customer surveys, process improvement, , etc.) with the goal of obtaining a more in depth understanding of what the 'Voice of the Customer' was actually saying in order to facilitate more comprehensive and sustainable solutions with process improvement and related activities
- helped to streamline various internal Consumer Support processes involving customer experience liaisons, sales and after-sales employees, field staff and dealership personnel with the collective goal of improving the speed, consistency and overall quality of customer concern resolution outcomes
- involved in the selection, implementation and strategic oversight of new customer survey and reporting portal to enhance the 'Voice of the Customer' metrics using IPSOS/Synovate market research expertise & methodology
- provided oversight and corporate representation for various customer engagement events including several with integrated fundraising components in support of Ronald McDonald House Toronto
- assisted in establishing a comprehensive social media engagement, monitoring and reputation enhancement program through policies, tools, training and collaboration with employees, dealers and various stakeholders
- collaborated with Roadside Assistance partners and department members to establish and implement innovative solutions aimed at enhancing customer experience and loyalty including the seamless transfer of overflow calls relating to recalls and related announcements, proactive assistance in facilitating the completion of recalls, co-branded marketing initiatives, etc.
Information Technology & Multi-Media:
This portion of the role involved overall responsibility for Information Technology and Multi-media departments (under the vision & strategic direction of George Hamin, our Director of IT & e-Business, and his highly skilled and creative team) along with various compliance responsibilities including privacy and data security.
- relentlessly pursued a mature enterprise architecture by developing and enforcing a company-wide conformance process for evaluating new technology investments. This involved analyzing the degree of congruence with past technology investments, existing business processes and data structures to ensure optimal levels of standardization, sharing, integration and agility were achieved and/or maintained
- provided oversight on a multi-faceted project aimed at improving the degree of compliance with J-Sox. This involved the design and documentation of various policies related to the procurement and development of software applications & IT infrastructure, the deployment and testing of IT, the management of third-party IT services as well as procedures relating to privacy & data security breach identification & handling
- through the extensive efforts and talent of our Multi-media team we improved our web-site (www.subaru.ca) ranking from 24th place to 1st place in the Manufacturer Web Site Evaluation Study (by JD Power) out of 25 Canadian automotive brands - utilizing internal design, development and hosting resources exclusively
- sponsored and contributed to the strategic vision of a showroom tablet app which gave sales consultants mobile access to the latest information about the company’s products and services in a highly interactive, visually appealing and transparent manner. Not only did this make it easier for sales consultants to more effectively perform their roles, it also improved the overall sales experience for customers and provided insight and valuable analytics to head office
- sponsored the successful deployment of subaru.TV which continues to be an industry leading private television network solution for dealers aimed at enhancing customer engagement and awareness relating to the Subaru brand, products, ownership experience, community involvement of dealers, etc.
- provided executive level sponsorship for a variety of IT implementation initiatives including: Business Intelligence using Microsoft self-serve BI tools; Finance and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system using Microsoft DynamicsAX software; Enhanced communication and collaboration through Microsoft's Lync and SharePoint
- served as the executive representative on the North American Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Committee comprised of various Subaru organizations for the purpose of reporting, sharing and discussing CSR activities and best practices throughout North America and Japan
- promoted the growing engagement of business process improvement activities by introducing and providing executive level sponsorship towards a Six Sigma training initiative which provided an initial bottom line impact in excess of $1M
- facilitated and supported the expanded utilization of Intelex's leading EHSQ Management Systems to:
- further enhance our standing in the areas of risk management and corporate governance,
- improve compliance levels to meet corporate, regulatory and other stakeholder requirements
- streamline document control and work-flows
- responsible for corporate governance and compliance activities while acting as Privacy Officer and IT Security Officer