Senior Executive role (CEO/MD/COO) with full P&L responsibility in a dynamic and growth oriented Group in the high-tech, engineering or industrial sectors with an International Operations dimension. Will relocate and / or travel extensively.
Dr George Kyprios is an experienced international CEO/MD & COO with a strong track record of delivering significant revenue and profit growth in high-tech and industrial companies operating in global markets. He has held senior executive roles with major ‘blue-chip’ multinational groups in the Capital Equipment, Electronics, Defence, Telecommunications, Process Chemicals, Fire/Security and Marine Electronics industries.
George has in-depth knowledge of the technology, engineering and manufacturing sectors having led major Business Units, Joint Ventures and subsidiary Companies operating worldwide to provide customer focused solutions in design, manufacture and after sales support – in both fast-growth and turnaround situations. He has directed three highly successful industrial Turnarounds the UK and Europe significantly increasing revenues and profitability in very competitive markets.
He has accelerated business performance, introducing core operational methodologies (Lean, Kaizen) to improve operational efficiency across the supply chain, opened new B2B markets, launched new products and created innovative services. Setting up new channels to European, Middle East and Asian markets, he directed Commercial activities targetting OEMs, major Engineering Contractors and end-users directly and by establishing extensive commericla agreements with international VAR/Distributors.
Highly qualified (PhD in Electronic Engineering from University College London), he is fully tri-lingual and has spent extensive periods living and working in Europe. George has transferable skills in generating significant business growth and creating a competitive advantage coupled with a rigorous analytical ability, customer focus and strong communication.
- STC Plc - Cables Division (Optical Fibre BU)
- General Manager, Fibre Operations
- Chrystalate Group Plc
- General / Sales Manager (full P&L for a subsidiary company)
- GEC Plc / Marconi Radar Systems Ltd
- Electronic Engineering & Manufacturing Manager
- Mars Inc (Mars Electronics Ltd)
- Manufacturing & Quality Systems Engineer/Analyst
- Canon Europa NV (Semiconductor Div.)
- International Sales & Marketing Executive
Feb 2009 - Present
Consulting & Advisory Co. delivering significant Revenue and Profit growth to high-tech, engineering and manufacturing businesses operating in global markets. Particular focus on accelerating Business Performance, Operational Improvement, Restructuring & Turnaround. From initial strategy definition to assignment completion, ARATOR Ltd provides Strategy Execution through Interim Management – implementing action plans that deliver quantitative business benefits by translating strategy into tactical objectives & practical programs that improve sales & margins and optimise operations, systems & processes.
Aug 2007 - Jan 2009
Board Director & Divisional MD
An AIM listed Technology Group: a leading developer and provider of advanced digital PMR (professional mobile radio) communications technology & product solutions to global markets.
Managing Director - SRT PMR Technology Ltd (the main SRT plc subsidiary company). Brought into the Group to formulate vision, determine & deliver business strategy, provide a road map for market and operations, launch new product lines and implement a new organisation structure.
- Established contract manufacturing; negotiated all supply chain agreements and set pricing policy
- Instigated full technology portfolio re-alignment and devised a 3 year product development road-map
- Accelerated the design/engineering cycle to achieve full international type-approvals in 12 months
- Pre-production & Pilot manufacturing successful, full production initiated with excellent yields
- Set up new organisation structure: from Project management to Production Support & Logistics teams and recruited/appointed new key Engineering resources
- Directed the Development & Launch of 2 New OEM Products: a TETRA digital Radio and a Modem
- Introduced a detailed costing model to control margins on all product variants - new product designoffering significant price advantage to all competitors
- Set up Distribution channels focused on Europe & Asia, identifying > £6m of new revenue potential
Jan 2002 - Jul 2007
Founding Director of Business Strategy Group (Agendo Ltd - 10 Directors & Associates) and Director of own Interim Management Consulting & Advisory Company (Arator Ltd) delivering strategy implementation and improving under-performing businesses.
Main Interim Assignments & Key Achievements:
- (6 months): Interim General Manager assignment for QRG Ltd, a fast growing £10m high-tech electronics company (Fab-less semicon) developing circuits & technology for touch-sensing applications. Objective: to help the organisation realise its full potential and review all the options for an eventual exit strategy.
- Produced Strategic Review together with comprehensive evaluation of processes and methodology used; provided recommendations based on Best Industry Practice
- Developed a sustainable and scalable structure, management systems & processes
- Implemented new organisation, structure and HR policy
- Devised & implemented operational KPIs based on project delivery, productivity, sales metrics and cash generation - tracking of operational & financial results.
- Sales grew by 75% and EBIT from £0.87m to £2.1m
- Eventual successful exit - acquisition of QRG by Atmel Corp. for $88m in cash
- (12 months): Interim Managing Director of the 3 global Marine Divisions of CHEMRING Plc (Division t/o £27m, 160 empl; survivor location & satellite/VHF/AIS systems). The company was loss-making overall and incurring huge R&D costs, was over-stretched, late to market with new products and with numerous non-profitable product lines, in a very price sensitive market. Operating Profit erosion from £1.25m down to a Loss of - £330k; Gross Margin erosion from 43% to 37%; Lower sales volumes trend and loss of USA market. Objective: Business Turnaround prior to disposal.
- Successfully Turned Around & value-enhanced the business in 12 months
- Restructured the Business operations (split out one Division - including a Spanish subsidiary - into a new Ltd company to be re-absorbed within the Chemring Group
- Separated the Electrical businesses into 2 BUs and implemented a segmental business profitability reporting based on real-time data
- Determined the profitability drivers for each business and produced detailed cost/benefit proposals for three new Product lines
- Restructured manufacturing operations following new product introduction (fewer operators & cell leaders, consolidated product lines and reduced headcount
- Introduced Product and Channel margin analysis; identified and eliminated under-performing lines and inefficient Distributors and set-up new Distribution agreements
- Set a coherent pricing and margins policy, providing Gap & Opportunity targeting by channel and focussed the internal costing process to improve contribution margins
- Implemented a series of selective (by sector) price increases and new price lists
- Launched 3 Product lines & derivative product variants to underpin £1.9m of NEW sales
- Set new Distribution agreements, selective price increases, coherent pricing & margins
- Achieved new target sales and 8% EBIT performance to deliver a £1.5m Profit turnaround
- Business successfully divested with a significant increase in enterprise value
- (5 months): Interim Managing Director of an Engineering SME (steel security and explosion proof access doors) to identify exit options for owners & explore possible MBO
- Developed a 3-year Business Plan and Process Capability review
- Identified new product opportunities & routes to market to provide growth of 50% in 3 yrs
- Introduced business systems, procedures & analytical performance indicators (KPIs) to align systems and processes, reduce costs & improve efficiency
- Commercial Due Diligence with a view to launch MBO
- Various MD/GM assignments including Due Diligence for an Engineering Co. to launch MBO/MBI; Market planning & competitive analysis for an Electronics Co. launching new product lines
- Target marketing by sector and channel to ensure key account penetration
- Specification criteria, performance requirements, manufacture and supply chain
- Pricing strategy - margin analysis by product variant
- Devising new corporate image and market positioning
- Consultancy to shareholders on business valuation and negotiations for potential sale
- Consultancy work for a BG Group operating unit preparing for an overseas JV for a new high technology product - specification criteria, performance, road map to manufacture.
Jun 1998 - Sep 2001
Kidde Plc (now KIDDE - UTC Inc): President & MD, UK / ItalyProviding major turnkey systems, high-technology engineered products & support services to Fire Protection / Emergency Services sectors. Kidde Plc group t/o of £900m; 7,000 employees
2000 - 2002 Managing Director: Angus Fire Armour Ltd (£35m t/o Kidde subsidiary, 340 empl.) Promoted within Group to UK role to Turnaround a company with declining sales, introduce change and improve an under-performing business. Global brand: B2B engineered systems & services (70% export - EMEA & Far East). Full P&L for 4 divisions – on 3 sites - plus an engineering/contracting BU.
- Led business back to profitability in a full restructuring and Turnaround project; increased R.O.S. by 2.5 times in a year
- Entered new market and geography sectors, setting up new Distribution agreements in the Middle East & Asian regions with pricing/risk strategies to achieve revenue growth of 28% year-on-year
- Introduced Lean Manufacturing across all divisions and decreased total working capital by over 15% in 6 months
- Lowered supply-chain costs & reduced headcount by 18%, improving total overhead spend by 10%
- Focused R&D & Marketing on innovation; launched high-margin products contributing sales of £5m pa
- Developed new accounts & channels to market by introducing a “Fast Track” sales initiative offering improved customer service & additional revenue stream (£2m in 12 months)
1998 – 2000 President & MD: Silvani Group SpA, a Kidde subsidiary in Milan-Italy. P&L responsibility for two companies operating globally (t/o €45m, 250 empl.) Manufacture of electronic sensors/alarms & turnkey fire systems (incl. fire trucks) providing tech. solutions for OEMs & end-users in high hazard applications. Tasked with reversing decline in sales & restoring Group profits; led a full Turnaround.
- Instigated and led a full re-structuring and Business Turnaround: replaced all senior management, reduced headcount by 25% within nine months and improved the cost base by 12%, consequently turning a 4.5% loss into a 7.5% profit within a year
- Led the Sales Team to develop key accounts, increasing the order book by 55% in 12 months
- Launched the Company on to new sectors leveraging the group’s brand to re-enforce positioning in market and securing high-value (over €1m) turnkey projects with focus in the Middle East
- Implemented new project methodologies to enhance margins; introduced new products & systems to market. Devised and set-up a structured competitive tendering process.
- Restructured manufacturing operations with focus on ‘make or buy’ & best practice
Jun 1989 - May 1998
CEO / MD / GM
1989 - 1998 PIRELLI CABLES SpA: CEO / MD / GM of UK & Italian BUsManufacture of advanced Telecommunications Cables & Systems, Power Cables for energy transport & Installation Accessories. Total Pirelli Cables & Systems group t/o of US$ 5 billion with 18,000 employees.
1997 - 1998 Joint Ventures Director - Pirelli SpA telecom & power cable JVs in the Far EastPromoted to Milan HQ; strategic/operational responsibility for JVs in China and Indonesia.
- Established the yearly operational targets & capital investment plans for a $25m JV in Wuxi-China and a greenfield $45m JV in Jakarta-Indonesia
- Provided analysis of key indicators benchmarking all operations against best Pirelli Group practice
- Ensured timely & efficient Technology Transfer and optimised the supply-chain
- Directed liaison between the JV and corporate HQ in Italy from initial project implementation (feasibility & due diligence) to operational start-up, closely monitoring regional market trends
1993 - 1997 CEO/Managing Director - FOS Fibre Ottiche Sud SpA: t/o of US$53m, 200 empl. Promoted to executive role at a Pirelli JV in Italy. Full P&L responsibility for state-of-the-art telecoms business manufacturing Optical Fibre in a 24/7 high-precision operation.
- Generated net R.O.S. averaging 24% annually for 3 yrs; reached 39% R.O.E. and achieved a company ranking by net profit of 28th in Italy (sector: telco infrastructure)
- Directed large investment programmes & introduced new technology (over US$12m)
- Achieved volume growth of 27% by capacity expansion and application of JIT & TPM
1989 - 1993 General Manager, UK Optical Fibre - Pirelli Cables Ltd: £24m t/o and 190 staffPromoted to senior GM role following acquisition of STC Cables by Pirelli Cables in 1991. Responsible for all UK based Fibre businesses (two ‘world-class’ manufacturing centres in Harlow & Southampton)
- Increased output by 35% considerably improving revenues & reducing unit costs by 25%
- Introduced TQM & SPC methodology, new working practices & led process development programs to exploit synergies in 2 distinct operations resulting in >30% productivity & profitability increase.
Senior Course - General Management
Research area: Integrated Optics / Photonics
PhD Thesis: A tapered, stripe-waveguide edge reflector device for the optimisation of the packing density of Integrated Optical Circuits used in Telecommunications.
BSc (Honours) 2:1
Specialisation in Medical Physics
Project thesis: A variably focused Ultrasonic Transducer using a phased annular array to induce hyperthermia for localised treatment of cancer tumours.