Gary N. Akin
[email protected], 714-809-9647
Huntington Beach, CA, 92648Vice President – Sales and Operations
- Proven leadership in global sales and marketing organizations with multinational motor vehicle enterprises including: Volkswagen, Nissan, Suzuki and Ford.
- Ability to develop and retain motivated, high-performance teams in sales, relationship management, strategic planning and business development.
- Development and execution of strategic and tactical business plans to generate desired results.
- Established track record of delivering against business objectives.
American Suzuki Motor Company, Inc., Brea, CA 2007 – 2009Vice President, National Sales and Operations
Responsible for the new vehicle and parts revenue, profit and operational success of the enterprise.
- Achieved the two largest revenue years in company history, 2007 – 2008 ($3B).
- Accomplished the best vehicle sales year in company history in 2007 (101,884 units).
- Directed sales and production planning, vehicle pricing, and sales promotion activities.
- Led network development and implemented representation policies, procedures and standards.
- Managed and developed national and field sales, service and dealer development staff.
- Facilitated and directed dealership relations and customer satisfaction efforts.
Volkswagen of America, Inc., West Lake Village, CA 2004 – 2007Regional General Manager, Western Region, 2003 – 2007
Responsible for the attainment of sales and revenue targets and operations in the Western United States.
- Managed largest volume U.S. Region for vehicle and parts sales (27% of nation)
- Responsibility for region marketing efforts and initiatives. ($35-40MM annual budget)
- Conducted the consolidation of the Rocky Mountain Region into the Western Region.
- Led network development activities to upgrade representation within the Region.
- Developed and guided regional staff and dealer contact teams.
- Guided dealership relations and customer satisfaction efforts.
Area Executive, Western Region (Southern California ), 1996 – 2004
Responsible for the attainment of new vehicle, certified pre-owned and parts sales objectives.
- Overall responsibility for marketing efforts and initiatives.
- Responsibility for re-establishment the dealer network within the Los Angeles market.
- Developed and managed Area Dealer contact teams.
- Guided dealership relations, customer satisfaction efforts and on-going operations.
Nissan North America, Carson, CA 1990 – 1996Manager, Infiniti Model Line, 1993 – 1996
Control and align the Marketing activities of the Infiniti Brand to enhance effectiveness and efficiency.
- Guided and integrated the implementation of Infiniti marketing activities.
- Initiated and executed comprehensive marketing plans to launch Infiniti models.
- Created a strategic vehicle life cycle marketing plan for Infiniti models to more effectively plan volumes, marketing and sales incentive expenditures.
Dealer Operations Manager, Infiniti (Los Angeles), 1992 - 1993
Operational Responsibility for the attainment of new vehicle and parts sales objectives.
- Consult with dealers to develop a viable business enterprise with the Infiniti brand.
- Responsibility for local marketing efforts and initiatives.
- Managed dealership relations, customer satisfaction efforts and on-going operations.
Recruited and developed dealers for the Infiniti brand.
- Implement and direct market representation actions to upgrade representation for the brand.
- Initiate and maintain market representation programs, policies and procedures.
Volkswagen of America, Inc., Pleasanton, CA 1984 – 1990
Sales Operations Manager, Northwest Region, 1987 - 1990
Responsible for the attainment of new vehicle objectives in the Northwest United States.
- Managed and developed Region dealer sales contact team.
- Overall responsibility for Region marketing efforts and initiatives.
Implement and direct market representation actions to upgrade representation for the brand.
- Coordinated the integration of the Northwestern United States dealer body into Volkswagen of America from an independent distributor. (Riviera Motors)
- Direct and coordinate dealer candidates, local government, developers, architects, contractors and financial institutions to secure facilities and completed dealerships.
Ford Motor Company, Milpitas, CA 1983 – 1984
District Parts and Service Manager, Northern California
Ace Electric Division, Echlin, Inc., Columbus, KS 1980 – 1983
Pricing manager, 1981-1983
Product Developer, 1980 - 1981Education
BA, Business Administration, 1980, Pittsburg State UniversityIndustry Associations
Alliance of International Automobile Manufacturers, Delegate, 2008 – 2009