I am currently on a South African Passport but have permanent residence in the USA, my family and I gained residence through the Diversity Visa programme. We plan to emmigrate to the USA November 2015 but can move sooner should the need arise.
I have always had a keen interest in technology and this has led me into my carreer. I started out as a network infrastructure technician and have ended up leading multi million Rand projects, implementing total ERP business software solutions, selling bandwidth and creating complete open sourced solutions for Businesses.
2010 - Present
LightSource Fibre Optics cc
- Established business to enter the ever expanding Fiber Optic market in Southern Africa.
- Project managed major installations including:
- Upgrade of approx 5000km of Botswana's national backbone to DWDM 36Gb/s (Test and Repair, Floating, Splicing and Testing)
- 91 km OPGW 48F link in South Africa (splicing and testing)
- 250km Overhead 48F dark fibre network for MetroRail Cape Town. (design, stringing, splicing and testing)
- Install complete passive IP network at Hotel Verde - Africa's Greenest Hotel, complete IP solution.
- Design, Install and Commission entire open source IT solution for 350bed 'pod' hotel. New concept hotel in Cape Town.
- Evolved business into Solution Architect services and Network design.
- Designed, Installed and Implemented FTTn solutions in multi tenanted buildings, setup contracts, designed network, managed relationships with suppliers and clients, deployed several maintenance teams and established support centre.
2006 - 2010
Buzz Networks cc
- Created business in a 50% partnership on my return to South Africa.
- Worked as a Subcontractor for major SA IT firms, Dimension Data, Datacentrix and Ericsson.
- Completed many major LAN projects including the Cape Town 2010 football world cup stadium - 4500 Cat 6A outlets, 5KM fibre backbone with over 30 coms rooms throughout.
- Was responsible for Administration of the Business, and won 3 Tenders while in this role.
- Worked closely with clients to maintain good relationships.
2000 - 2006
Freelance Network Technician
London, Manchester, Paris, Amsterdam
- Worked as a freelance technician for my time in Europe.
- Worked all over Europe on major Data Centres and on smaller projects that I managed myself.
- Mainly Cat5e and Cat6 with a few fibre appointments.
Crash Hotel - Seapoint Cape Town 2014/2015
- Designed from the ground up complete business and network solution for a 350 bed hotel in Cape Town. Complete open source package implemented for all business functions including:
- CCTV - using Zoneminder, Telephony - Using Asterix, Wifi with guest access control policies and customised CRM landing page.
- ERP system to manage all aspects of the business - developed specifically for the business using the openERP platform and building on that. All accounting procedures linked to Hotel Management, POS, Restaurant, Travel centre. Custom CRM created for Wifi landing page. Unique to this Hotel and a 1st in South Africa to have this depth of technological integration in a hotel.
- Streaming TV service using Raspberry Pi's.
- 200Mb/s Fibre back haul managed and resold to various users in the vicinity as a FTTn product.
- Designed and installed the Cat 6 network, fully IP integrated system.
- Monthly management and maintenance ongoing by LSFO.
DWDM Fibre Upgrade - Botswana - Ericsson 2011-2014
- Full upgrade of the national fiber optic network to 36Gb/s DWDM done over a period of 3 years for Botswana Telecoms Corporation (BTC) and Ericsson.
- Test and repair of existing links to DWDM thresholds.
- OTDR and Power Light Source/Meter tesing.
- Loss Budgeting
- Chromatic Dispersion testing
- Polarization Mode Dispersion testing
- Documentation prepared by myself for Ericssons network team.
- Install over 1500km of new fibre optic links in HDPE subduct.
- Floating of fibre.
- Splicing of dome joints inline and T-offs.
- Termination in POP's on Ericsson Panels.
- Testing and documentation provided to DWDM specifications.
Metro Rail - Cape Town - Install Dark Fibre Network - 2009 - 2011
- Installed over 250km of Arial fiber on the Metrorail/Siemens Dark Fiber Network.
- Worked in dangerous environment due to remote locations in townships and high voltage lines.
- Extremely complicated network as one 48F cable was split into 4 separate circuits.
- Activities included:
- Survey of links.
- Mounting of cable brackets along entire length of the links.
- Stringing, tensioning and securing 48F backbone.
- Installing 12-24F T-in fibers on 4 different circuits.
- Splicing of Arial Dome joints and Krone Panels.
- Testing and Documentation.
Cape Town Stadium - FIFA World Cup 2010 - 2008-2010
- Selected by Dimension Data as main contractor to install the Network.
- I was project lead for the Passive Infrastructure installation and also assisted on the network design decisions.
- Managed a team of 30 technicians for 2.5 years with extremely tight deadlines.
- 500 km of Cat 6e cable installed with a 5km fibre backbone.
- 30 separate coms rooms with two on site Data Centres.
- The worlds first fully integrated Stadium over IP.
- Provided onsite support for the duration of the FIFA World Cup 2010.