Crash Hotel - Seapoint Cape Town 2014/2015
- Designed from the ground up complete business and network solution for a 350 bed hotel in Cape Town. Complete open source package implemented for all business functions including:
- CCTV - using Zoneminder, Telephony - Using Asterix, Wifi with guest access control policies and customised CRM landing page.
- ERP system to manage all aspects of the business - developed specifically for the business using the openERP platform and building on that. All accounting procedures linked to Hotel Management, POS, Restaurant, Travel centre. Custom CRM created for Wifi landing page. Unique to this Hotel and a 1st in South Africa to have this depth of technological integration in a hotel.
- Streaming TV service using Raspberry Pi's.
- 200Mb/s Fibre back haul managed and resold to various users in the vicinity as a FTTn product.
- Designed and installed the Cat 6 network, fully IP integrated system.
- Monthly management and maintenance ongoing by LSFO.
DWDM Fibre Upgrade - Botswana - Ericsson 2011-2014
- Full upgrade of the national fiber optic network to 36Gb/s DWDM done over a period of 3 years for Botswana Telecoms Corporation (BTC) and Ericsson.
- Test and repair of existing links to DWDM thresholds.
- OTDR and Power Light Source/Meter tesing.
- Loss Budgeting
- Chromatic Dispersion testing
- Polarization Mode Dispersion testing
- Documentation prepared by myself for Ericssons network team.
- Install over 1500km of new fibre optic links in HDPE subduct.
- Floating of fibre.
- Splicing of dome joints inline and T-offs.
- Termination in POP's on Ericsson Panels.
- Testing and documentation provided to DWDM specifications.
Metro Rail - Cape Town - Install Dark Fibre Network - 2009 - 2011
- Installed over 250km of Arial fiber on the Metrorail/Siemens Dark Fiber Network.
- Worked in dangerous environment due to remote locations in townships and high voltage lines.
- Extremely complicated network as one 48F cable was split into 4 separate circuits.
- Activities included:
- Survey of links.
- Mounting of cable brackets along entire length of the links.
- Stringing, tensioning and securing 48F backbone.
- Installing 12-24F T-in fibers on 4 different circuits.
- Splicing of Arial Dome joints and Krone Panels.
- Testing and Documentation.
Cape Town Stadium - FIFA World Cup 2010 - 2008-2010
- Selected by Dimension Data as main contractor to install the Network.
- I was project lead for the Passive Infrastructure installation and also assisted on the network design decisions.
- Managed a team of 30 technicians for 2.5 years with extremely tight deadlines.
- 500 km of Cat 6e cable installed with a 5km fibre backbone.
- 30 separate coms rooms with two on site Data Centres.
- The worlds first fully integrated Stadium over IP.
- Provided onsite support for the duration of the FIFA World Cup 2010.