Bilingual Spanish-English speaker with a record of excellent customer service for a diverse customer base. Experienced manager with translation, retail, and restaurant experience.
President, Spanish National Collegiate Honors Society
Kennesaw State University 2008-2009
- Developed admission requirements for the honors society.
- Coordinated the annual initiation ceremony, including arranging speakers, designing and mailing invitations, and leading the ceremony.
- Managed the honors society election to ensure continued management after graduation.
- Oversaw all accounting for honors-society expenses.
English as a Second Language Instructor
Latin American Association, 2005
In 2005, taught a 5-week English as a Second Language (ESL) course for adult Spanish speakers through the Latin American Association.
- Implemented ESL curriculum to increase oral and written English language skills.
- Served as interpreter for lead teacher, who was a non-Spanish speaker.
2005 - 2009
Kennesaw State University
Spanish Honors Society, President
Dean's List, 2005-2008
GPA: 3.4, Major: Spanish
Jul 2009 - Jan 2010
- Managed two to three employees with a focus on high-quality, consistent customer service .
- Selected as lead employee during the Christmas retail season due to strong customer service skills. Charged with increasing sales and managing price adjustments to maximize profit.
- Trained new employees on company standards and procedures.
- Analyzed daily sales results to ensure the store met profit goals.
- Managed daily accounting processes, including bank deposits and reconciling receipts.
- Received the highest score of all employees (95 out of a possible 100) in "secret shopper" evaluation for excellent customer service. Store employees averaged 80 points.
- Commended for extraordinary service through a letter to corporate headquarters by a regular customer to the store.
Aug 2009 - Dec 2009
Bilingual Student-Teacher Liaison (Internship)
Montclair Elementary School
Monclair Elementary School is a DeKalb County public school where 95 percent of children are economically disadvantaged, 80 percent are Hispanic, and over half (55%) are English language learners.
- Served as the primary Spanish-English translator for students in two elementary school classrooms.
- Translated for Spanish-speaking parents during parent-teacher conferences.
- Interpreted lessons in all subjects for Spanish-speaking students.
- Translated teaching materials, homework packets, worksheets, and other documents into Spanish or bilingual formats to ensure parent/student comprehension of key concepts.
Excellent translating work led the lead teacher to write in her end-of-semester review, "Thank you for the opportunity to work with Ms. James; she was a true support for us and our students."
Oct 2000 - Jul 2008
International House of Pancakes
- Managed a staff of 15-20 employees
- Reconciled accounts at the end of each shift, with 100% accuracy throughout 8 years of service.
- Supervised and trained new employees to ensure that employees met company standards in customer service.
- Reconciled daily sales reports and managed daily accounting procedures.
- Promoted from server to manager within five years, achieving manager rank by age 21.
- Developed nightly goals to increase sales of specific items and exceeded these goals 95% of the time.
- Achieved a tip average of 20% or higher by anticipating customer needs.
- Awarded highest score of all store employees (98 out of 100) on ServSafe Certification exam.