Feb 2010 - Apr 2010
Elgin Court Public School
- Planned and presented differentiated lessons using a SMART Board in Grade 6 Social Studies, Literacy, Science, Physical Education
- Planned and implemented lessons for Kindergarten (Visual Art and Integrated Technology), Grade 3 (Drama and Integrated Technology), and Grade 4 (Visual Art and Integrated Technology using Kidpix)
- Assistant coach for Junior division boys basketball try-outs, practices, and first game of the season.
Sep 2009 - Nov 2009
Rick Hansen Public School
- Planned and presented differentiated lessons in History, Literacy, Physical Education, and Math for a grade eight class
- Volunteered as assistant coach during boys varsity basketball try-outs
- Attended and participated in both staff and division meetings
- Lead a mock DRA
- Present at the Parent Teacher conferences
The motivation for me to pursue a career in Primary/Junior/Intermediate education is an extension of my family’s culture. I am proud of the fact that several members of my immediate family are actively engaged in social service professions. I have had the background, the mentoring, and have been involved in a variety of volunteer experiences. I have had a longstanding desire to teach and nurture young children. I have worked hard to obtain the professional training, and the pedagogy necessary to competently reach this goal. As a young male, I often found that the lack of ability to successfully deal with stressful situations, feelings and aggressiveness were major factors which contributed to conflict, not only in school but also in society. I have strived to acquire the necessary skills to help provide a safe caring environment for young people. All children are capable of learning. I sincerely believe that all children can learn given the right motivation, techniques, curriculum and support.
My particular interest is special needs children and their integration into mainstream education. I have learned working as a volunteer, that patience, kindness, and love are characteristics that require time to develop. Every child learns best in a caring nurturing environment, when someone shows interest in them and their outcomes. My role as a teacher would be to establish an environment that develops all students’ potential. In the Formative Years, children acquire skills and a knowledge base that will precede them and allow them to function throughout their academic careers indeed throughout life. It is in the Primary/Junior/Intermediate school divisions that I hope to have the opportunity to be a teacher who helps make these things a possibility. It is my wish to make a difference in a young person’s life.
Snowboard Instructor, Laurentian Ski Hill, North Bay, Ontario - Winter Months 2008-2010
- Responsible for instructing beginner snowboard lessons to children and adults of all ages, including children with special needs
Respite Worker, Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) - 2002-2004
- Worked one-on-one with developmentally challenged child
- Facilitated fun activities to encourage learning and growth
YMCA Summer Day Camp - July and August 2002
- Responsible for the care and supervision of aged five to thirteen
- Responsible for creating and leading the groups of children in games, activities, and crafts.
- Supervised children at Dude Ranch horse riding camp in association with the YMCA
Camp Councillor, Columbus Boys Camp, Orillia, Ontario - Summer 2000 & 2001
- Camp Councillor for underprivileged children
- Responsible for the care and supervision of children from the ages of six to fourteen
- Responsible for creating, implementing and running various games,
- sports activities, craft projects etc.
Union Sports Club/Day Camp, St. Thomas, ON 2005-2007
- Assisted on field trips and outside excursion; primary responsibilities included monitoring and being a mentor for the children under my care and supervision.
Track 3 Ski School, Boler Mountain Ski Club, London, ON2001-2003
- Teaching disabled children to ski
Landscape Labourer, Garden Originals, St. Thomas, Ontario - May-Aug 2008 & 2009
- Assisted in the creation and construction of various residential, commercial, and industrial landscapes
Seasonal Sales Associate, American Eagle, North Bay, Ontario - Sept 2008-Jan 2009
- Assisted in sales of clothing and accessories
Maintenance Worker, Nipissing University Governors House Residence, North Bay, Ontario - September-April, 2006-2007
- Responsible for general maintenance and repair of the residence building
Line Labourer, Formet Automotive Industries, St. Thomas, Ontario - May-Aug 2007
- Frame building for GM Trucks
As an avid outdoorsman, I am interested in promoting personal growth, skill building, providing leadership opportunities and educational strategies through the various learning opportunities in the outdoors.
During my final year of high-school I was enrolled in a Leadership course that involved a 4 day field camp in the wilderness of Haliburton, Ontario. The course introduced me to various methods of learning not only from our Teacher and instructors, but from ourselves as well. It was in this course and this field trip in particular that I truly felt comfortable and excelled in educating myself through leadership roles, teamwork, and reflective practices. I believe that every child can learn from the natural world and everything it has to offer.
I enjoy many outdoor activities and sports such as camping, canoeing, fishing, swimming, hiking, snowboarding, soccer, football, biking and other sports such as tennis, squash, badminton.