Engineering Technician - Engineering Test Lab lead:
Sony Ericsson Communications
- Developed a test chamber to solve a critical design issue during the final phase of our latest project. This chamber was first used to test different methods and their effects. Once proven it was then scaled to be incorporated in the Service and Repair centers as an affordable and easy to use solution.
- Created a lab test environment that mimics the wear and abuse cell phones are subjected to in the real world. Developed tests and equipment and tests that are 75% custom and involve Solar, vibration, shock, impact, heat/humidity, life cycle of components, HALT, radio performance and cosmetic issues.
- Created new tests and equipment that encompass everything from the investigation of available test equipment to the custom designing, fabrication, wiring, programming, documentation and training.
- Designed, built and supported testing of several multi axis test stations for life cycle design testing.
- Designed a unique life cycle test chamber incorporating Heat, Humidity, multi axis vibration and radio testing.
- Performed full system level competitive analysis testing that included the teardowns and RCA failed components. Results and ideas were then fed back to design and included in lessons learned.
- Supported a global testing system by providing input and development of mechanical tests.
- Ensuring equipment is functioning and calibrated at all times to meet ISO standards. This includes working with vendors and equipment manufacture's in the special design, care and repair of units keeping them on line and functional.
- Investigated and procured all items for three departments including capital equipment up to $100,000.
- Provided monthly and annual reports to assist in the annual bottom up budgets proposals.
- Created safety tests including temperature and charging that ensure conformance to internal standards.
- Performed HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Test) to identify component failures and enhance design ruggedness.
- Organized the Calibration lab after a change in business strategy categorizing the locations and calibration needs of 2500 pieces of equipment. Worked with outside calibration service in detailing calibration needs until a calibration coordinator was brought on line.
- Provided mentoring and support to junior team members to create a self-reliant team.