Mr. Steffens is an advocate for equality in parental role determination. Inasmuch, his determination to seek equal determination in custody has lead to the founding of "Children are not Pawns", a group determined to seek sanctions on Parental Alienation Syndrome. Additionally, he has worked with Senators, Congressman and County Legislative to enforce legislation entitled "Best Interest" underscoring the Tender Year Doctrines.
A recognized expert on insurance and insurance claims stemming from catastrophic events, employee dishonesty, business disputes, and third party defalcation. Through a combination of experience Mr. Steffens has served for litigation support for Hanover, A-I Marine, Fireman’s Fund, the Hartford, St. Paul Travelers and Allstate Insurance Companies. Additionally, based on his work has assisted the U.S. District Attorney, as well as local and state prosecution efforts.
Starting in 1997 his work began as bookkeeper for a DWS –a mid sized accounting firm. Upon completion of his accountancy education Mr. Steffens was offered a full time staff accountants position in the corporate auditing and internal controls division. Within this position, he was responsible for the implementation of new software and conversion of accounting systems. Additionally, his work was key in detailed certification audits for non-profit entities, private interest groups and corporations in the NYC and surrounding areas.
Recruited by T.D. Davidson CPA, P.C., Mr. Steffens duties immediately began by being assigned insurance claim audits that occurred in the wake of the 9-11 attacks. Being supervised directly from the senior partner, Adam utilized this excellent education and quickly grew proficient in the area of forensic analysis and was given the opportunity to plan, conduct and conclude audit assignments within a short period of employ.
Utilizing the experience gained by T.D. Davidson CPA, P.C. A. Steffens & Associates was founded, a firm specialized in providing loss prevention and compliance audits to international and national corporations. Over the past five years, ASA (today as NYIAA) has developed its clientele by using modern techniques and methodologies to shorten reporting time and increase overall accuracy.
Furthermore, Mr. Steffens has utilized his career as a tool for educating both colleagues and students. Inasmuch, his knowledge is part of educational seminars for Independent Adjusters and is used in professional papers. Authoring works include "The Handbook Addendum", "The Financial Reconstruction" and "Safeguard - Corporate Countermeasures to Employee Dishonesty"
Aug 2005 - Present
Forensic & Fraud Investigation
- Criminal Investigations Audit: through various engagements, my duties have included the investigation and compilation of financial damages attributed to larceny, embezzlement and misappropriations. Additionally, work was often performed that assisted local, state and federal prosecution efforts.
- Shareholders' and Partnership Disputes Audits: involving assignments that require a detailed analysis of complete financial statements spanning from one to ten years or more. Included in these analysis were integrated lifestyle costs and expenses to isolate and record specific methodology and cause.
- Business Interruption Audit: Stemming from catastrophic events, work included the analysis of interruption and pre-interruption periods to trend business revenues and expenses. Inasmuch, trended data coupled with actual business performance was utilized to adjust or verify claims submitted to large insurance carriers.
- Fraud Investigations: Work was primarily related to funds tracing, asset identification, and recovery. While a majority of the work received could also be categorized as part of the criminal investigations performed, this work extended to company and parole offices recovery attempts.
- Business Economic Loss Audit: that of which includes areas such as contract disputes, construction claims, expropriations, product liability, trademark or patent infringements, and losses occurring from a breach of a non-competition agreements.
- Mediation and Arbitration: duties involved forming alternative dispute resolution as to resolve disputes with minimal disruption and with a minimal amount of time. Predominate work in this area was engaged through insurance carriers and small to medium sized companies.
Mar 2001 - Aug 2005
Forensic accounting & Attestation services including but not limited to Loss of Income, Additional Expense, Catastrophe Loss (Direct), Matrimonial Valuation, Disability, Fidelity Bonds and Employee Dishonesty. Further audit work includes support to the New York State District Attorney (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Albany, Elmira, Buffalo, Lakeland), New Jersey State Attorney General, and the offices of the U.S. Attorney General and Various State lottery divisions. Further, trained new staff accountants to independently conduct and/or assist in complex financial audits.
Details of this work included the analysis of business controls, analysis of revenue streams, business trends and budget allocations. Moreover, frequent work was completed in the calculation of temporary budget planning, emergency expense calculations
Aug 1999 - Mar 2001
Staff Accountant & Auditor
Kaplan Financial Management & Consultants, Inc.
Bookkeeping and accounting work for a tax management practice. Primarily focused on corporate accounting and audit clients, work included bank account reconciliations, sales tax preparation, payroll tax preparation and assisting the Certified Public Accountant with audits and year end closings. Frequent on-site work included journal entries, audits of payroll records and expense account verification. Further, work included audit and review of non-profit entities and foundations.
Feb 1997 - Jul 1999
Staff Accountant & Auditor
D.W. Steffens & Associates
1998 - 2002
A look at the extraordinary achievements of Dowling’s alumni clarifies its role as a leader in higher education. Dowling College ranks within the top 10% of New York State colleges in the number of teachers achieving New York State certification. Dowling graduates excel in all fields – they perform valuable science research, pilot planes for the military and major airlines, and hold key executive positions in such international corporations as SAP, Grohe, and Lockheed Martin.