IT Architect / Project Manager
Hot Topic, Inc.
Hot Topic, Inc., City of Industry, CA.
Developed and maintained artifacts of system-wide architecture. Set development standards and technological direction for enterprise-wide business intelligence and custom .NET systems.
- Led a key data warehouse project to consolidate enterprise reporting data and metrics, improve BI agility, flexibility and accuracy. Responsibilities in this role included the identification of technical and functional requirements, project management, vendor selection, price negotiation and facilitating vendor/business sponsor demonstration. A savings of at least $500 million dollars were realized due to control of our project scope and in-depth knowledge of our BI requirements.
- Spearheaded enterprise project management (EPM) practice using Microsoft Project Server 2007 which tremendously improved the delivery and control of the IT project portfolio. Duties included the installation, customization, training, maintenance and adoption of the EPM practice. The efficiency of more than 90 people in the IT organization were gained from features such as document management, tasks management and communication.
- Established IT architectural practice to improve the standardization of our tools, management of code, and business intelligence metrics.
- Mentored and coached IT staff on project and time management, object-oriented programming, database as well as business intelligence concepts. Collaborated with project and resource managers to deliver projects and improve our operations as well as the satisfaction and efficiency of our people.
IT Development Manager August 2004 - July 2006
Responsibilities included the development and maintenance of custom .NET applications and business intelligence reports/analytical applications for the enterprise.
- Formulated Hot Topic's first business intelligence (BI) team which included the development of short and long term strategy for the team, selection of technology platform, hiring and training for the seven member team, organization and management of BI projects and troubleshooting of production systems. Technological expertise of the BI staff consisted of Oracle, MSSQL, VB.NET and ASP.NET, VB 6, Delphi, and Hyperion Essbase specialists. We serviced all information needs for the finance, merchandising, distribution centers, E-commerce and marketing departments.
- Supervised the design and development of a merchandise data-mart to fulfill key reporting and analytical needs. This work significantly improved Hot Topic's SLA for the Monday reporting stack by 75%.
- Led a team to internalize consultant supported applications which yielded savings of at least $150,000 per year.
- Evangelized and mentored various teams on BI, retail, supply chain and marketing concepts.
IT Project Manager January 2002 - August 2004
Managed delivery of custom Windows and intranet web applications for the stores and merchandising department.
- Successfully migrated all internal Windows based middle-ware application to Microsoft Biztalk technology. This project improved our system integration platform which enabled the business to grow, it improved our IT responsiveness and saved us at least $150,000 per year in custom application support.
- Migrated legacy warehouse management software (WMS) to the new Oracle based WMS system which saved us at least $150,000 per year in product support.
- Led the development of a ASP.NET application that significantly improved the accuracy of our inventory by more than 50%.
Senior Programmer/Analyst August 2000 - January 2002
Responsibilities included the development and testing of Windows and database application for the merchandising area.
- Designed and managed Hot Topic's first intranet site. The site was used to disseminate standard operating procedures and also hosted inventory and store look-up services as well as transactional type of applications. It is still operational at all stores and the corporate headquarters.
- Developed data migration programs and Windows applications that were part of ERP implementation.
- Designed, developed, implemented and supported enterprise-wide time and attendance system. This custom solution saved the company an investment of approximately $200K and is still in use after more than 5 years.
- Successfully internalized all Delphi work form external consultant thus saving the company at least $100,000 a year as well as improving IT customer service to the merchandising team.