Jun 2011 - Oct 2011
Environmental Programs Director, Lederer Garden
Department of Parks and Recreation, Washington DC
Directed programs at Lederer Garden in 7th Ward of Washington DC that included teaching youth how to grow food, planting methods and healthy eating initiatives. Developed partnerships with other non profits focused on healthy eating and local food.
Apr 2008 - May 2009
Worked in Central City New Orleans on issues of disinvestment, community development and affordable housing.
- Developed database of clients for housing rehabilitation; met with residents concerning blighted and abandoned properties.
- Researched records and acquired vacant properties from former residents. Created acquisition presentations for executive board of NONDC.
- Developed marketing materials for new homes being built.
- Built relationships with other local and national non profits and oversaw the installation of 40 street trees in Central City.
- Introduced professional landscaping to NONDC's affordable housing.
- Wrote a $15,000 grant to the Enterprise Green Communities program which was awarded to the organization.
Mar 2003 - Mar 2005
Oversaw operations of non profit organization responsible for managing central business district, Worked with four committees on issues related to design, promotions, volunteer recruitment and training and economic development as directed by Main Street New Jersey and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Acted as liaison between businesses and local government.
- Built consensus within community on a vision for downtown. Met with various stakeholders in downtown including property owners, non profits, citizen groups and business owners on issues related to growth of downtown.
- Recruited new businesses. Worked with landlords to fill store vacancies. Guided new businesses through Village permitting process.
- Built coalition of government, non profit and for profit agencies to work with developers to implement new projects in downtown South Orange.
Feb 1998 - Apr 2003
Catalyst Coordinator and Manager
Worked in duel role as manager and catalyst coordinator for New York City Parks and Partnerships for Parks in Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn.
- Duties included daily maintenance of lawns, gardens and historic monument.
- Trained staff in horticulture and customer service. Created work schedules and implemented system of bonuses for temporary park personnel.
- Worked directly with numerous groups on park improvements and clean-ups that helped community reclaim their park. Helped successfully coordinate special events that included outdoor movies, concerts and holiday events. Acted as liaison between local government, parks department and community organizations that helped the park coalition secure in over ten million dollars for park improvements.
2007 - 2009
Certificate in Urban Revitalization
University of Pennsylvania
CUREx Fellow. Program is taught by the University of Pennsylvania and sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation. The Rockefeller Foundation committed 25 Fellows to various non profit and governmental agencies in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Studies focused urban revialization with a focus on affordable housing.
1995 - 1998
Magna Cum Laude