Grade 1 Classroom Teacher at TKS August 2014 – present
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) – Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Develop and implement the Units of Inquiry with a collaborative team to ensure an integrated curriculum.
- Provide inquiry based learning centres to build a solid literacy and numeracy foundation for students.
- Implement differentiated teaching, learning, and assessment methods to suit individual student needs.
- Utilize formative assessments to inform planning and teaching.
- Use action research to inform teaching and learning within the classroom. This is linked to professional goals, practices and development.
- Cultivate parent involvement in learning opportunities through weekly communication.
- Keep parents informed of progress through Back to School Night event, 3 way conferences, Open House events, student portfolios and end of semester reports.
- As part of the school's Enrichment programme, co-lead a Scrap Booking Club, Arts and Crafts Club and a Fitness Club.
Grade 3 ELL Teacher (KAUST) August 2012 – June 2014
- Implemented WIDA assessment to gain information about students’ language development and to inform on planning and teaching.
- Participated in Grade 3 planning meetings, and worked collaboratively with grade 3 teachers.
- Co-developed learning plans with classroom teachers to support specific students.
- With the collaboration of classroom teachers, implemented strategies for students in the process of exiting the ELL programme.
- Kept parents informed on entry, progress and exit of ELL programme.
- Grade 5 PYP exhibition student mentor, 2013 - 2015.
- As part of the CIS / NEASC accreditation process, collaborated with colleagues on the English Committee to put together a self-study of The KAUST School K-12. This included rating, analysing and providing evidence to show level of alignment.
- Using Jostens Yearbook Avenue publishers, designed the KAUST School Yearbook 2012/13 and 2013/14 for Grade 1 to 5. This included collaborating with classroom and single-subject teachers to photograph events, organise pages, and to personalise the design of the yearbook.
- Lead weekly morning meetings with Grade 3 - Grade 5 students to prepare for the week and decide on a PYP Goal of the Week. Assisted students in preparing daily morning announcements, including Goal of the Week, UOI updates and lunch menus.
Year 1 Classroom Teacher January 2012 – July 2012
THE BRITISH SCHOOL CARACAS (TBSC) – Venezuela
- Used the IPC program to achieve UK National Curriculum outcomes.
- Worked closely with Learning Support Unit to provide differentiated learning outcomes and activities for English Language Learners and students needing extra support.
- Assessed students to National Curriculum standards and kept school wide records of student progress.
- Kept parents informed of progress during goal setting conferences, parents evening and termly reports.
Lower School ESL Teacher (TBSC) August 2009 – July 2012
- Assessed and placed ESL students on arrival at the school.
- Liaised with teachers to link specific areas the National Curriculum and IPC units to the ESL programme.
- Led a Guided Reading and Phonics presentation to Lower School Teaching Assistants.
- Involved in the school Book Week activities, including judging, creating and presenting certificates for the KS1 and KS2 handwriting competition.
- Took part in the after school clubs programme offering activities such as paper crafts, puzzle making and Sudoku clubs for children in KS1.
- Taught classes from Pre-School to Year 5 as a cover teacher, including 10 weeks as a Year 1 classroom teacher (October to December 2010).
Lower School ESOL Teacher August 2006 – June 2008
Xiamen International School, China
- Assessed, placed and monitored students through the use of the IPT language assessment.
- Supported K3 classes during Language Arts using the Houghton Mifflin Language Arts Program.
- Proposed and implemented changes to ESOL support services. The new approach improved the amount of collaboration and communication between mainstream and ESOL teachers and enabled XIS to meet the PYP collaboration requirements.
- CIS accreditation and WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accreditation team member.
- Organized and led after school activities.