Director-level Infrastructure Manager with a recent Master's degree in Network and Communications Management and over 15 years of advancement into positions of increasing technical and professional responsibility. Progressive leader with quantifiable achievements for successfully directing teams in technology implementations that reduced costs, increased productivity, and achieved the highest levels of systems' security and reliability.
Networking & Security Technologies: Firewalls, VLAN, EIGRP, Egress/Ingress Filtering, Load Balancers, IDS/IPS, VTP,BGP, Enterprise Virus Protection, Syslog, DNS, NAT/PAT, HSRP, IPSEC, SSL VPN's, MRTG, F5 Big-IP (Local Traffic Manager - LTM, Global Traffic Manager - GTM, and Application Security Manager - ASM), Citrix NetScaler.
Cisco Hardware: Routers (2800, 37600, 3800, 7200, 7500, ASR 1002), Firewalls ASA (PIX) (5505, 55520, 5540, 5550, 5580), Switches (Catalyst 600, 3700, 4500, 6500; Nexus 7010, 5548).
Tools & Utilities: WildPackets, Wireshark, SolarWinds Orion, WhatsUp Gold, RackTables.
Operating Environments: Windows, Linux, VMware.
Programming Languages: Java, TCL, VB, HTML, Java Script, VB Script, PHP.
Master of Network Communications Management
DeVry Keller Graduate School of Management
Graduated with Distinction (GPA 4.0)
Sep 1993 - May 1998
Bachelor of Science Degree
Jan 2013 - Present
Manager Network and Systems Engineering
The company is a provider of IT automation solutions for management of investment portfolios including trading, risk management, and accounting for investment assets.
Report directly to the Technology Director; direct the day-to-day and strategic operations for the Network and Systems Engineering teams assigned to the AAIA business unit's hosting environment consisting of 800+ physical/virtual servers with 100+ networking devices including Firewalls, IPS, switches, routers, and load balancers.
- Successfully managed a diverse team of 16 engineers and managers in the execution of moderate to complex networking projects.
- Directed expenditures for a $6 million Capex budget for servicing anticipated growth, project related work, and technical refresh for end-of-life hardware and software.
- Developed a new network architecture allowing for streamlined management and improved response to component failure and disaster recovery scenarios.
- Selected as a key participant in the team driving organizational shift to a DevOps culture.
- Deployed Cisco IPS along with F5 ASM to mitigate threats before reaching frontend servers.
- Coordinated the implementation and migration to Oracle T5-8 hardware, increasing CPU performance four-fold and enhancing the recoverability of the environment.
- Collaborated in the changeover from EMC to IBM SAN technology, which increased storage capacity and maintained a one-minute restore point objectives (RPO) with Restore Time Objectives (RTO's) from 4 hours to as little as 20 minutes for meeting critical client requirements.
Aug 2012 - Jan 2013
Manager Network Engineering and Operations
Selected to manage the networking team consisting of 2 direct and 6 indirect reports in an organizational change, spearheading multiple critical projects for operational improvements.
- Significantly improved the Data Center's performance with formation of hot/cold aisles, mitigating potential failure due to heat stress on components.
- Deployed Cisco Nexus 7000 series switches utilizing Virtual Device Contexts (VDC's) to isolate various environments. Provided redundant connections to key systems via Virtual Port Channel (VPC) Technology.
- Implemented SolarWinds Orion and NetFlow for improved network monitoring.
Mar 2012 - Aug 2012
Directed a cross-functional team of eight Networking, Systems, and Database Engineers in a transitional project for the deployment of a major software upgrade that included a technical hardware refresh.
- Overcame multiple technical challenges in coordination with network teams from 70+ remote clients.
- Installed servers valued at $100,000 with 50+ virtual machines and associated firewalls, switching, and load balancing changes.
Jun 2011 - Mar 2012
Manager Network Engineering - Projects
Teamed with the Network Operations Manager as the technical lead on multiple high-level projects, while overseeing a staff of two. Directed ad hoc teams of variable size in execution of work as needed including:
- Deployment of VMware View for the 24/7 operations team.
- Implemented WhatsUp Gold for network monitoring.
- Upgraded OC12 to OC48 circuits to maintain RPO.
Jan 2010 - May 2011
Network Security Engineer
Recruited back to the company and initially assigned as a member of the Network Control Center team responsible for the day-to-day operations of corporate, as well as production networks for ASP hosting of internal and external clients for the company's application products. Served as a mentor and trainer to junior Network Administrators.
- Designed the network implementation of Sun SPARC Enterprise M9000 Servers and VMware vSphere Servers in an existing data center, as well as a hot recovery location.
- Replaced end-of-life Cisco Switches and F5 Load Balancers with current hardware.
Oct 2007 - Jan 2010
Lead Network Engineer
A provider of subscription fulfillment, reader services, and database marketing solutions.
Initially hired to build a network support team for a new data center with additional oversight in project management, security, network design, implementation, client support, and vendor relations. Conducted an extensive analysis of the existing infrastructure identifying and documenting deficiencies, as well as a needs analysis, leading to the development of a comprehensive scope document.
- Upgraded Catalyst 6506 switches from CatOS to IOS; installed new Catalyst 4506 switches; migrated from multiple Catalyst 4006 switches and installed a series of POE switches.
- Deployed Avocent DSView and ipKVM hardware for secure remote equipment operations.
- Successfully negotiated a significant discount on an Avaya phone upgrade for new corporate and home office service with the same pricing arrangements of the older system.
- Worked as an integral part of the Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance team for meeting industry security standards.
Dec 2002 - Sep 2007
Senior Network Engineer
Performed administration on corporate and production networks hosting product applications. Maintained security using Cisco PIX/ASA and Juniper NetScreen firewalls.
- Relocated and revamped a 24/7 staffed facility to a lights-out data center with remote access software and hardware. Dismantled, reassembled, and configured approximately 300 pieces of equipment over a three-day weekend minimizing service disruptions to client organizations.
- Proactively led the development and implementation of a new Network Security Policy employing best practices from government and industry sources.
- Implemented several redundant Internet connections utilizing BGP and HSRP for optimal redundancy.
- Planned and implemented a client conversion from Frame Relay to IPSEC VPN resulting in additional bandwidth and reducing client costs.
Mar 2000 - Dec 2002
Redesigned the network and provided a more secure and reliable infrastructure. In this effort the network was rewired with CAT5e and HP4000M switches replaced a multitude of hubs. Redundant internet access was established utilizing BGP and a backup location was configured for redundant access to production equipment.
- Supervised Night Operator whose responsibilities included nightly Backups and Data Downloads.
- Utilizing PIX Firewall, established IPSEC VPN for client and remote office connectivity.
- Administered all Network Equipment including PIX Firewalls, Cisco Routers, and HP Switches.
- Implemented and administered Windows NT 4.0/2000, MS Exchange, IIS, MS SQL Server, and Cisco Secure ACS.
May 1998 - Mar 2000
Jun 1994 - Feb 1998
Member of PC Support team providing end user desktop support.
Jan 2011 - Jan 2013
Certified Ethical Hacker
Dec 2005 - Present
Mar 2003 - Dec 2007
Dec 2004 - Dec 2006
Cisco Firewall Specialist
Jun 2003 - Present
Sep 2003 - Present
Oct 2003 - Present
Nov 2003 - Present
Oct 2005 - Oct 2007
Experience with VMware ESX, vCenter, and VMware View
Cisco PIX & ASA Firewalls
Over 15 years of experience installing, configuring, and maintaining the Cisco line of firewall products. This includes all PIX 500 series models and most of the newer ASA 5500 series models. I have configured site-to-site and remote access VPN connectivity and managed security via the use of access control lists and network address translation (NAT).
Disaster Recovery Planning
Developed over 15 years, my troubleshooting skills are exceptional.
Between my education, work experience, and general interest I've become familiar with multiple programming languages. These include Java, VB, HTML, Java Script, VB Script, and PHP. This gives me the ability to assist developers in troubleshooting code that involves network functionality. This also provides me with the ability to build my own tools and scripts or work with open source applications to aid in network monitoring and troubleshooting.