I am a software developer who is strongly focused on building highly scalable web applications and services. I am self-motivated, believe in continually improving my skills, and possess a strong interest in learning the best practices to help me excel in my field. I am experienced in every layer of the web stack, from developing the back-end to creating intuitive interfaces with semantic markup.
Web Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra
Test Frameworks: RSpec, Cucumber
Databases: MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Operating Systems: OS X, Linux
Version Control: Git, Subversion
Feb 2008 - Present
- Wrote a scalable Ruby on Rails application for the 2010 NHL Trade Deadline that was clustered over five servers and severed close to a million requests in a single day.
- Using Ruby on Rails, developed a video portal which integrates with an external video publishing provider.
- Developed a television portal which allows shows and personalities to have unique pages and various integrations with other sites across the company.
- Increased community involvement with Score properties by using Facebook Connect and Twitter integration.
- Utilizing Ruby on Rails, developed a variety of time sensitive fantasy games which were played by thousands of users.
- Introduced Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and Git to the company along with the development manager.
- Increased speed and ease at which blogs were created by migrating the blogging platform from a Perl based solution to Community Server.
- Created a community-centric site for hardcoresportsradio.com by customizing Community Server and creating a custom CMS using ASP.NET MVC.
- Migrated a prior user authentication system to ASP.NET Membership to facilitate a central login across all domains.
- Increased the scalability and speed of the ASP.NET version of thescore.com by leading a project wide refactoring.
- Developed sponsored sections and performed maintenance on thescore.com.
Aug 2010 - Present
- Introduced Behaviour Driven Development to the team by adding tests with RSpec to the Crowdreel property. This resulted in all future projects adopting the principle.
- Added OAuth server support to Crowdreel for a never released mobile iPhone application.
- Updated in-house asynchronous Ruby web framework Zync based on EventMachine, to have a Ruby on Rails like router, application generators, and testing hooks.
- Working with theScore, developed a JSON API utilizing Ruby on Rails, MySQL, and Redis to be used by their properties.
- Part of the team that released the ScoreMobile iPhone application which won the iTunes Rewind 2011 Best Sports App in US & Canada.
- Implemented a responsive scoremobile.com/iphone marketing site using middleman, that worked on multiple devices such as the iPhone, iPad, and Desktop.
- Pair Programmed with Rida Al Barazi to refactor the Pressly code base, which resulted in increased test coverage, modularity, and code quality.
- Implemented a Pressly internal administration tool in Ruby on Rails. This allowed stakeholders to manage issues, feeds, and refresh content.
Apr 2010 - Jul 2010
Senior Platform Engineer
- Designed and developed video analytics for the mDialog video delivery platform, a Ruby on Rails application.
Dec 2006 - Feb 2008
IT Software Developer
- Eliminated a multiple step process by coordinating with finance to build an ASP.NET web application to determine exchange rates.
- Introduced test-driven development and continuous integration into the development process.
- Automated report creation for company exchange rates using Microsoft Reporting Services, which was previously done using Excel.
- Integrated a change request management system with the K2.NET workflow engine through web services.
- Automated project deployments for IT by introducing WIX.
- Maintained an ASP.NET application which was integrated with two systems to create drawing packages for customers.
- Implemented web services to automate administration procedures within SharePoint Portal Server 2003.
- Responsible for the deployment of a Linux server with a Subversion repository to store all of the development team’s source code.
- Worked on porting a legacy C supplier drawing exchange system to C#.
- Increased team communication by starting a Wiki which outlined development processes, projects and tool information.
Nov 2005 - Nov 2006
Jr. .NET Developer
- Implemented essential modules required for custom Line of Business (LOB) solution releases.
- Translated business requirements from various domain experts into technical specifications.
- Designed and implemented a VB.NET application which automated business operations based on input from an Excel file.
- Provided support to end users by writing technical user guide documents and coordinating with regards to software issues.
- Coded, tested and implemented software fixes for errors found in custom applications.
- Designed a request submission web application in ASP.NET and C# utilizing AJAX.
- Created business critical reports using Microsoft Reporting Services.
- Designed and implemented a test case management system using an n-tier object oriented design.