I am a passionate learner who is eager to share what I learn with others. My wide work experiences emphasize my strong work ethic, drive to try new experiences and explore new ideas, and excellent skills in leadership, communication, and collaboration. I greatly enjoy working with students and colleagues, and consider myself very lucky to have found a dynamic and challenging vocation in education.
I am searching for middle-level or secondary-level Biology teaching positions in the Capital Region of New York where I can share my passion and expertise in the sciences, curriculum design, and technology integration with an energetic, solution-driven, and innovative school community.
Rutgers Dean’s List 2003, 2005
UNLV Dean’s List 2006 – 2009
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society 2008
Dorothea Brinker Scholarship Award 2008
UNLV Rebel Achievements Nomination: Best Role Model Award 2008
Sep 2009 - Aug 2010
College of Saint Rose
Note: Please click on hypertext-links to view artifact samples.
Relevant coursework in Curriculum and Instruction:
- Multicultural Education: Year-long literacy project on diversity issues.
- Curriculum and Design: Research on curriculum trends and sample constructivist unit plans.
- Education Research: Research proposal on effect of online social networking on standardization.
- Research Seminar: Teacher action research project on low teacher technology use in technology-rich schools.
- Informal Student-based Assessment: Curriculum assessment analysis.
- Advanced Instructional Design PreK-12: Concept-based writing and differentiation.
Relevant coursework in Instructional Technology:
- Foundations of Educational Theory: Research on definition of educational technology.
- Laboratory Methods for Educational Technology: Policies, collaborative webquests on keyboarding, and use of wikispaces to create subject samplers and scavenger hunts.
- Hardware,Operating and Networking Systems for Teachers: Knowledge-base on hardware, software, operating systems, and networking systems.
- Project-based Learning in Technology: Collaborative online projects on social networking, professional learning networks, educational gaming, simulations, and digital storytelling.
Jan 2009 - May 2009
Student Teacher (Grade 6)
John C. Fremont Professional Development Middle School
- Taught in an urban Life Science classroom comprised 171 students with 50% classified with limited English proficiency and high-incidence disabilities.
- Collaborated with 2 cooperative teachers to design differentiated unit plans paired with student-based assessments.
- Incorporated cooperative learning with technology-assisted multimedia projects on classification and taxonomy.
- Organized a 3-week multidisciplinary kite-building spring project for 100+ students with team department and support staff.
- Attended 14 IEP meetings including 3 renewals and 1 Manifesto.
- Conducted 2 parent-teacher conferences with team department.
- Attended monthly seminars on High Quality Sheltered Instruction, English Language Learner instruction, and Title 1 grant writing.
Mar 2007 - Jan 2009
Field Biologist Intern Level IV
Southern Nevada Water Authority
Assisted in conservation projects with federal agencies to monitor over 10 endangered wildlife, fish, and aquatic invertebrate species in Nevada and Utah.
Monitored endangered species, such as desert tortoise and Moapa dace, on 1200-acre Warm Springs Natural Area with 4-member field team.
Converted paper-based library with 1440 internal documents to computer-based system.
- Published 5 white papers on state activity with listed endangered species.
- Drafted wildlife fact-sheets and field-guides for field team.
Supervised 5 teams of Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and local college students in 2 annual Las Vegas Green Up events.
Sep 2008 - Dec 2008
Practicum 2 Teacher (Grade 6)
Roy W. Martin International Baccalaureate Middle School
- Assisted in a Life Science class with 55+ students in science and technology magnet program.
- Demonstrated 8 constructivist lessons on the nature of science and human body systems.
- Designed bulletin boards, graded assignments, and arranged seating charts.
- Attended biweekly GEAR UP workshops.
Aug 2007 - Aug 2008
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
- Facilitated 2 annual workshops,1 weekend program, and over 15 daily outreach programs on leadership education and development for on-campus college students.
- Designed and facilitated a yoga and leadership workshop, Namaste Leadership.
- Presented a peer workshop on creating career portfolios.
- Supervised team of 12 during weekly rotational meetings and team of 8 for a national conference.
- Submitted proposal that led to presentation of an experiential methods-based workshop in national collegiate leadership conference at the University of Arizona, attended by 50 colleges from 22 states.
Jan 2008 - May 2008
Practicum 1 Teacher (Grade 9)
Foothill High School
- Assisted in 2 remedial and 2 gifted and talented Biology classes with over 140 students.
- Presented 4 technology-based interactive lessons on taxonomy, classification, genetics and biomes.
- Developed a science fair rubric and evaluated 140+ science fair projects.
Sep 2005 - Aug 2006
Writing Consultant and Biology Tutor
- Supervised 18 college freshmen in weekly Biology 101 reviews.
- Critiqued and advised 5 students on writing techniques.
- Evaluated student progress through 1:1 meetings and online journals.