Comprehensive, visionary, and goal-oriented direction in management, with growth concepts for Fortune 500 firms. Measurable success in start-ups and effectively turning around underperforming business units in diverse environments. Strategic contributions to a Forbes "Best of the Web" business entity's ongoing success after envisioning and implementing the development of a multi-channel profile for a noted ecommerce business. Management experience in Japan/Asia, overseeing international market growth initiative. Specializing in developing and implementing expansion and market penetration strategies. Measurable, proven track record of success in business analysis, tactical strategic planning, negotiations and gross profit improvement initiatives which greatly accelerate sales and bottom-line profits. Successfully generating new ideas and initiating change in classic and complex business environments, including in blending overseas and domestic teams.
Jan 2009 - Present
Strategic & innovative solutions in product development, branding, product-launch and online marketing for elite portfolio of B2B clients.
Mar 2009 - 2010
President & Chief Brand Officer
Contributing founder of this data and technology company that builds sustainable data architecture to support an ongoing flow of health care quality data. Structured views of quality measures, delivered via intuitive, web-based tools, allow health care stakeholders to “see” their data.
This SaaS solution, which delivers physician-accepted, actionable data at the individual patient-level, allows the care team to focus on improving outcomes, not extracting data.
Feb 2007 - Nov 2008
Vice President - Merchandising & Product Development
Grossing $950 million in annual sales, this multi-channel retailer specializes in outdoor lifestyle apparel and equipment.
• Increased net income 244% in 4Q 2008
• Reduced lead times for product development by 25% (4 months)
• Reorganized division to reduce costs by 20%
• Introduced line of sun protective apparel with sales of $1 million in first 6 months
• Launched the Three Forks Ranch brand of products in stores and online
Aug 2001 - Feb 2007
Navigant Consult Inc
This strategic Marketing and Planning consultancy identified and guided direction in positioning, online marketing and target audience connection tactics. As founder and owner, drove all aspects of operations, including business development & marketing, client relationship management, service production, staff management and financial oversight.
• Developed “research for pay” business model for a client that increased new client conversion 40%
• Created a blog for client GUILD.com resulting in an 18% increase in traffic to website
• Repositioned client’s business to thrive in New Orleans post Hurricane Katrina
• Negotiated strategic partnership on behalf of client with Swedish-based music web business
• Increased traffic over 50% to client (property mgmt) with SEO campaign and new website design
Jun 2005 - May 2006
Vice President of Strategic Planning
SWAY Connection Marketing
Jan 2004 - Jun 2005
John Roach Projects
2000 - 2002
Vice President Merchandising
Reshaped an e-commerce start-up into a multi-channel retail business. Initiated the design and development of website launch. Strengthened a well-defined and executed business plan to nearly $30 million in venture funding. Introduced the concept of the “Artful Home” to consumers. Identified the scope of site design, merchandising, usability, navigation and customer service. Implemented processes of merchandising and creative to insure the web site integrated into corporate marketing strategies. Drove total company P & L.
• Achieved recognition by Forbes magazine as “Best of the Web’ annually since 2000
• Surpassed conversion metric of shoppers to buyers at 4% against a goal of 1%
• Reduced abandoned shopping carts, a measurable indicator of web site usability, from 90% to 10%
• Managed the launch of catalogs to market the web site via direct mail and to capture non internet buyers in
• Improved sales 50% to slightly over $1 million in first year
1983 - 1999
Merchant & GMM
Succeeded, with founder and team, in the firm’s recognized aggressive growth and market expansion, leading to its public stock offering Leadership of cross functional teams and full P & L responsibility of multiple business units. Led the product development, merchandising, marketing and fulfillment of the company’s high-profile outerwear division, to expand the company’s reach and media penetration as well as market expansion.
• Created the business plan and marketing strategy for internal start-up division – Lands’ End Travel
• Accomplished product launches
o Lighthouse and Square Rigger Wheeled luggage - $6 million in 6 months
o Squall line of performance outerwear and accessories – grew to $30 million annually
o Polar Tec fabric infant and toddler sleepwear - $5 million in first year
• Expanded business unit from 1% penetration to 12% in 9 years
• Reshaped and strengthened failing luggage manufacturing division with $11 million in overstockoverstock and sales increase of 36% to $15 million in 18 months