A proven global marketing leader with over 25 years of experience successfully listening to the voice of the customer, managing international business, cross functional teams, and diverse channels.Expertise marketing products to the Beverage, Medical, Pharmaceutical, Electronics, Environmental, and Chemical industries. Practical experience navigating through a matrix organization to launch new businesses, evaluate acquisition opportunities, develop strategic alliances, develop new products and optimize global supply chains.A unique blend of strategic and tactical skills, consistently delivering growth with energy and commitment.
Jan 2007 - Jun 2009
Global Business Development
Responsible for the global Hospitality business and Special Products in the Americas representing a 200+M€ portfolio.
- Delivered double digit growth in the global Hospitality business following alignment of a global strategy
- Successfully launched Hospitality businesses in Canada and Brazil through development of research based customer insights, local infrastructure, supply chain, and a compelling market offer.
- Led the Latin American Special Products and Chemicals business to achieve 10+% sustained growth through introduction of new products, improved product sourcing, refined marketing communication, and identification of internal synergies.
- Increased operating margin by 15% through North America Supply Chain optimization.
- Developed US market entry strategy for a "Green" fumigant delivering a $15M+ opportunity
- Leveraged US fumigant activity to identify and cultivate opportunities in Brazil and Chile.
- Participated on several US acquisition evaluation teams.
Jan 2003 - Jan 2007
Global Director Beverage Dispense Technology
Technical Marketing Authority for the 150+M€ Global Hospitality Business (a new role)
- Chaired an international team of beverage and industrial gas experts (Fountain Technical Committee - International Society of Beverage Technologists, ISBT) to establish a global guideline for beverage grade carbon dioxide used in restaurants, and other outlets serving fountain products. Triggered a cultural change in the perception of quality.
- Leveraged BOC technology to launch a new draught beer product with a leading Brazilian Brewer resulting in premium pricing. The program led to increased market share and improved customer intimacy.
- Developed internal KPIs and measures to ensure customer satisfaction and protect profitability.
- Led development of a web based best operating practice tool, enabling streamlined market evaluation and reducing staffing and training costs.
- Led a $15M Hospitality market entry initiative and strategy in Asia, resulting in improved customer relationships.
- Progressed Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) compliance in response to the market's demand.
- Simplified internal communications and global compliance related to product quality, facilitating reduced cost audits and providing for value added price increases up to 30%.
Jan 1999 - Jan 2003
Global Business Director, Scientific Products
Led the International Marketing of Special Products in the Americas, Europe, and Asia/Pacific. Initiated network activities and strategic alignment to improve global presence and effectiveness.
- Directed a €70M business delivering near 10% sustained revenue growth.
- Drove consensus for a revised global strategy based on market research performed in 11 countries, resulting in a segmented global offer.
- Refined local business strategies ensuring global alignment. Presented technical seminars to global key customers and organized international peer meetings to improve global perception.
- Negotiated a global supply agreement for laboratory gas generators, expanding the portfolio.
- Initiated and launched a Pharmaceutical segment specific offer, integrating multiple divisions of the organization, resulting in increased share and reduced costs.
- Developed a market entry strategy for Japan, and initiated research into market entry options in Taiwan, S. Korea and S. China.
- Grew sales of Specialty Gases via the US distributor channel by 7% following 3 years of declining sales (prior to implementing the program).
1996 - 1999
Global Director Electronic Systems
Led the management of outsourced suppliers of complimentary equipment to our Electronic Gas offer.
- Led the $50M/year Global Electronic Special Gas System's business, consistently exceeding revenue and profit targets.
- Completed contract negotiations for the outsourced supply of gas cabinets, which had been unresolved for the prior period of 2.5 years.
- Initiated and successfully implemented a joint development program with a Korean manufacturing partner to create a low cost, high quality entrant into the competitive gas cabinet market.
- Repositioned, segmented and simplified the product line to improve customer satisfaction, enable ease of ordering and reduce production errors.
- Established and implemented a global service support system. Developed and delivered a practical training program, involving shared BOC resources in the US, Europe and Asia, resulting in improved customer satisfaction.
- Eliminated $15M of working capital, in 4 months, by analyzing and implementing improvements to the billing and inventory systems.
- Developed infrastructure to facilitate profitable growth and metrics to enable data driven decision- making.
- Successfully negotiated a supply agreement with a key competitor to eliminate legacy quality issues.
1981 - 1996
Product Manager Specialty Gas
Liquid Carbonic Corporation
Progressed from an entry level engineering position to National Product Manager for Specialty Gases and Chemical Sterilants.
Product Manager, Specialty Gases-Chicago, IL
Manager Specialty Gas Development-Chicago, IL
Specialty Gas Plant Manager-Geismar, LA
Specialty Gas Plant Engineer-Harrison, NJ
- Managed a $10M domestic specialty products business. Launched 3 new products per year.
- Linked customer needs to development activities and production capabilities enabling growth and increased profitability. Leading change agent in cultural evolution to a differentiated product strategy.
- Developed and delivered training seminars to create technical awareness and facilitate relationship selling of differentiated products.
- Successfully repositioned the supply of commodity chemical sterilants to a valued added product line for the healthcare and pharmaceutical markets.
- Identified, developed and executed global strategic alliances with key Healthcare partners to accelerate the growth of new sterilant products.
- Profit and loss responsibility for a $3M per year specialty gas production laboratory serving Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida.
- Designed and managed construction of multiple facilities including a specialty gas development laboratory and a specialty gas production laboratory.