Senior Engineering Manager at Talabat / Delivery Hero
- Dubai, UAE
- +971 56 47 59 000
Leading multiple teams across two tribes:
- Talabat Website (5 engineers): Working as a cross tribe team that collaborates with domain owners to bring value using the Talabat Website. Leveraging the modern web infrastructure we have built.
- Advertising Experience (2 teams, 10 engineers): Build advertising capabilities to help the vendors reach relevant customers with ads, banners, and offers while preserving a great user experience for our customers.
Also, continuing to mentor new managers in our M0 track (Individual contributor to Manager training).
I am responsible for :
- The web platform: Stabilizing and modernizing the web platform. Increasing productivity of the team.
- Smart Lunch: premium and affordable lunch subscription.
- Other initiatives that are not public yet.
I am also part of the tech hiring committee and help, with other managers, to improve the tech culture at Talabat.
I manage two teams (10 positions, only 9 filled so far) and work with 2 product managers.
I also drive some initiatives to test and introduce new technologies to the tech stack that could significantly improve our productivity.
I am responsible for:
- The Property Finder B2C presence on the Web in the 7 countries we operate in (U.A.E., Bahrain, Egypt, Qatar, K.S.A., Lebanon, Morocco).
- The Property Finder mobile products under the brand Property Finder: B2C Mobile App and the Lead App.
- The Property Finder Off-plan products: B2C and B2B.
This position is a people manager position as much as a technical role:
- Working in collaboration with a product owner and product-focused marketing and sales team to prioritize projects and initiatives.
- Be responsible for the technical planning for every project.
- Be accountable for the execution of the project (sprints planning, retrospectives).
- Organize security hackathons and champion certain security initiatives in collaboration with other leads.
- Manage two teams of 5 and 12 people (and some ad-hoc teams for temporary initiatives):
- Web team: 3 back-end developers, 6 front-end developers, 2 QA.
- Mobile: 2 IOS developers, 2 Android developers, and 1 QA.
- Mentoring team members, working on performance improvement in the short, mid and long-term.
- Improve and maintain every team member's well-being.
Technologies: LAMP Stack, Symfony 4, ElasticSearch, Redis, Akamai, Nginx, Ansible, Docker, RabbitMQ, NodeJS, ReactJS, PreactJS, Redux, Golang.
Methodologies: OKR, Scrum
I was part of the B2B team working on contract management, property upload, user management, etc
Technologies: LAMP Stack, Zend Framework, Elasticsearch, Memcached, Apache2, Docker, RabbitMQ, Ansible
Technologies: LAMP stack, Symfony 2, Silex, ElasticSearch, Memcached, HAProxy, NodeJS, Docker
Working on the www.junkmail.co.za (Junkmail Digital Media was our customer) project
- Maintaining and adding new functionnalities to website
- Developping the REST API
- Performing Code Review and Quality control of other dev's code before deploying it.
- Maintaining and monitoring Cron Jobs
Technologies LAMP stack, Symfony2, ElasticSearch, Memcached, RabbitMQ, Nginx, NodeJS
I joined the team in a time of crisis, the project was around for 2 years and was still too unstable to be launched.
I had to take care of building a data migration tool (around 2 billion records in MySQL).
Then I joined the core developer team, and I brought my knowledge of Symfony to speed up the project and help to launch the new version of the www.junkmail.co.za (one of the top 3 classified websites in South Africa) on November 2015.
Technologies LAMP stack, Symfony 2, ElasticSearch, Memcached, RabbitMQ, Nginx
Daniweb-expert is a startup that needed an experienced developer to guide the company in launch process of their main project pata-kazi.com (a job portal).
Technologies: LAMP stack
I worked mainly on two important projects for the country (DRC), the Katanga business Meeting (biggest economic forum in DRC), Eshop RDC (first eCommerce in DRC):
Technologies: LAMP stack, Silex, PrestaShop (e-commerce solution)
- Network administration.
- User troubleshooting.
- Small software development.
This was for me a great occasion to grow my knowledge in network and maintance.
- Network management company
- User troubleshooting.
- Equipment maintenance.
- Modification of open source software for adaptation.(web based file sharing system)
Technologies: LAMP stack, C#, Java
Technologies: LAMP stack, Docker, NodeJS, MongoDB, NATS.io, Apache Cordova, CakePHP, Symfony 2, Silex, C#, Java, Memcached
Helping in career plan, coaching, reviews & feedbacks, maintaining accountability, motivation.
Ensuring the communication flows, being able to guide people that do things you are not good at, creating a common understanding of the end goal.
Presentations, negotiation, conflict resolution, story telling, managing expectations.
Collecting requirements, identifying needed resources, planning, execution and go to market with stakeholders.
with frameworks: Symfony, Silex, Zend. Also without framework.
JQuery, AngularJS, ReactJs, PreactJS and Vanilla
My first choice quick prototyping and if the server needs a state.
preferably using a cloud provider (GCP, AWS or Digital Ocean)
For cloud and server provisioning, project automation. Useful if you want to have a great disaster recovery plan.
More professional experience with these two. Next on the list: AWS.
Git, MVC, OOP, Micro-services, CSS, Bootstrap, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, Firebase, Rancher, Longhorn, React Native, etc