Identifying and seeking administrator opportunity with a respected, innovative, and growing health service provider responding to current issues and concerns facing companies, institutions, and healthcare systems.
Apr 2014 - Present
3P Focus Healthcare
Elite Toxicology: Working with founder in start-up, marketing, and securing investors.Defense Consulting Services: Advice and support procurement of government contracts.
Aug 2013 - Apr 2014
Director of Professional Practice
Direct administrative and clinical services for Family Medicine Clinic and Residency Program with 10 faculty and 23 residents. Establish standards for the practice and monitor the quality of patient care. Lead and direct the work of billing, front office, and clinical support activities.
- Led planning, equipping and staffing to move four clinics for expansion and growth in Westover Hills while maintaining clinic operation in downtown San Antonio.
- Identified $750,000 furniture/IT infrastructure requirements to equip and furnish 70,000 sq. /ft. space from construction complete to occupancy for operations and patient care.
Apr 2010 - Sep 2012
Consultant (Hospital Administrator)
Advise and assist hospital services in a wide range of organizational, business and financial operations. Specific emphasis on TRICARE Operations and Administration programs and operations. Support and improve senior level decision-making by providing technical expertise, administrative support and recommendations impacting plans and operations, managed care, and regulatory compliance. Review healthcare delivery plans serving 9,200 beneficiaries who generate 41,000 patient visits annually and operates $14M annual budget.
- Point for $2M TRICARE Overseas Program implementation of International SOS and transition to contractual care and Preferred Provider Network for 9,200 enrollees.
- Turnaround of failing Service Treatment Record program improved performance from 27% (Apr-Jun) to 93% (Jul-Sep).
- Led Health Services Inspection/Joint Commission performance improvement and oversight of inspection preparedness. RESULT: “Outstanding” Health Services Inspection and zero Joint Commission findings
Jun 2007 - Dec 2009
Plans announced June 2006 for the organizational restructuring and recruitment for Carilion Clinic. In April 2007, infrastructure was developed to support transformation of Carilion Clinic to a physician-led, patient-centered clinic model best exemplified by the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic. Carilion Clinic has more than 500 physicians in a multi-specialty group practice and eight not-for-profit hospitals, specializing in patient-centered care, medical education and clinical research.
Develop and sustain a cohesive, highly functioning leadership team within multiple, diverse and complex practices. Provide leadership to support high quality patient-centered care, competent and engaged staff, and the achievement of fiscal, scorecard and process improvement goals and objectives. Develop new plans and strategies for optimal health care processes and services.
- Led 65 nursing and administrative staff in developing processes to provide integrated pediatric outpatient care in Southwest Virginia.
- Supported a team of 30 physicians delivering multispecialty, interdisciplinary care in General Pediatrics and seven subspecialties in the hospital and clinic setting as well as satellite locations in Lexington, Martinsville, Radford, Danville and Lynchburg.
- Extensive efforts in physician recruitment, market planning and strategic development expanded medical staff, improved productivity and increased revenue.
Oct 2005 - Mar 2007
Improve efficiency and effectiveness of Department operations through management principles and practices, application of analytical techniques and evaluative methods, including personnel, budget and institutional policy. Develop methods and procedures for administrative operations; establish goals and objectives for clinical, research, and teaching functions. Monitor compliance with regulations regarding professional billing, grants and contract management; supervise the billing function at the Cancer Therapy and Research Center. Assist the Chair with personnel activities pertaining to faculty, classified, and professional personnel.
- Engineered rapid turnaround of department finances and staffing; established expectations and promoted team attitude.
- Recruited and developed staff; implemented procedures and strategic plan.
- Developed performance feedback, goals and objectives to improve staff performance.
- Accomplished fiscal closeout and residency program review; addressed graduate medical education and clinical coding and billing deficits; close fiscal year budget deficit.
Jan 1990 - Sep 2005
Health Services Administrator
Led award-winning departments and programs in ambulatory services, regional hospitals, and headquarters operations. Developed and executed $3-$7M start-up and operational budgets.
- Selected civilians and contracts to double staff in 10-months, including recruitment and selection of 128 subject matter experts. Purchased $950K to equip and outfit mission.
- Negotiated contract with provider group and hospital; saved $81K in annual travel costs.
- Air Force-directed review of customer satisfaction; earned Team Excellence Award.
- Supervised installation and training of Composite Health Care System software; automated registration and tracking of appointment scheduling for ambulatory clinic.
- Analyzed patient referrals; recognized potential physical therapy savings. Negotiated discount with host nation provider, saving 15% in heavily used specialty referral.
- Designed customer feedback program. Solved medical claims issues; data-driven strategy yielded improvements. Earned TRICARE annual customer satisfaction award.