- Volunteer Coordinator at MSVU frosh week - 2010
- Co-President of MSVU PR Society - 2010
- Nominated for Student Union Leadership award - 2010
- Volunteer with the MSVU Haunted House - October 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Luminaries Chair for the Metro Universities Relay for Life - 2009
- Actively involved in solo and organized sports and races
- Completed first half marathon and second sprint distance triathlon - 2010
- Volunteer with the CIBC Run for the Cure - October 2009
- Member of school council, leadership, and graduation committee - 2005-2008
I was excited to see your posting for a Communications Assistant through Mount Saint Vincent University's co-operative education office. My co-workers from my first two co-op terms with the Calgary Board of Education and Harbinger Communications would tell you that I am enthusiastic, creative and passionate about writing - qualities that I feel make me an ideal candidate for the job.
In my time at the CBE I honed my writing skills, preparing speeches for CBE officials to be read at media events and writing feature pieces that were uploaded directly to the CBE's corporate website.
During my work term at Harbinger I delved into media relations, where I wrote and delivered pitches and worked closely with members of the media to secure coverage for a number of clients. I was also involved in the planning and execution of several media events, through which I was able to further develop my attention to detail and time-management skills.
I believe I fit your description of a mature, motivated team player. I see every challenge as a learning opportunity, and am eager to work in a fast-paced and dynamic organizations like NSBI.
Jan 2011 - May 2011
Marketing and Communications Assistant
- Prepared key messages, wrote pitches and secured coverage for a variety of media relations programs
- Assisted in coordinating events including catering, floral arrangements, and guest and media attendance
- Designed, built and distributed media kits
- Monitored media for client program coverage
May 2010 - Sep 2010
Calgary Board of Education
- Conducted interviews and wrote profile and feature pieces for external corporate website
- Assisted in planning a major run/walk event including equipment rental, participant registration, volunteer coordination, and route selection
- Developed key messages in response to media inquiries
- Prepared speeches for the Chief Superintendent of Schools, the Board Chair and Area Directors
- Coordinated school events, groundbreaking ceremonies and school openings
- Designed a Back to School publication that was distributed to all CBE students
May 2009 - Sep 2009
Research and Writing Assistant
Weaselhead Trail Interpretive Signs
- Developed communications plan including key messages related to sustainability and growth and implemented components of the plan
- Re-wrote and managed content for 18 interpretive trail signs while adhering to the City of Calgary style guide
- Researched park user statistics, gained insight to related publics, and made recommendations for signage