• MEETING CHALLENGING TARGETS: Engaging 36,000 employees to acquire 10m customers for Barclays Africa (then, Absa Bank) at the beginning of the global economic downturn and during Group-wide downsizing. Target achieved in 2009.
• TALENT RETENTION: Increasing talent retention by 45% when I led HR Communications during Barclay’s acquisition of Absa and the move of the former’s African operations from Dubai to Johannesburg (culture change). • Increasing Productivity: Transitioning Africa’s largest power utility (Eskom) from operating with a parastatal approach (low productivity) to embracing a Quality Management system across its African, South American, European & Asian footprint. ISO 9001:2008 Certification achieved in 2012.
• SUPPORTING EXPANSION & CHANGE: Successfully supportingthe expansion of Africa’s largest mobile phone provider (MTN Group) into Africa, the Middle East, Cyprus and India where I managed in-country communication resources.
• SUPPORTING EXPANSION & CHANGE: Gaining the buy-in of employees for the expansion of Italy’s largest mobile phone provider (Telecom Italia) across Africa and the Middle East.
• MOBILISING EXECUTIVES & EMPLOYEES: Gaining widespread Executive and employee buy-in for CSR initiatives such as 67 Minutes for Nelson Mandela Day, Early Childhood Development Awards & Make A Difference Day (Barclays Africa).
• WINNING AWARDS: Volunteering to manage other communication roles that weren’t covered due to budget & staff cuts, including Sustainability, CSR, Corporate Affairs & Innovation (Barclays Africa). Securing the Most Innovative Bank in Africa award by identifying the competition as an opportunity to position the bank and leading the submission process.
• HIGH-SCALE PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Leading the task team for the hosting of the Ninth United Nations Conference on Trade & Development & related exhibition: 5,000 international delegates.