Trying to keep fit. Learning to play musical instruments and collecting them. Developing a personallearning network and keeping a blog about my Arabic learning ara-bic-pen.blogspot.com
Developing as a primary and early years specialist while continuing to develop teacher training, and teacher development competencies.
Currently working for the British Council Singapore's Teacher Development Centre.
Nearly ten years of varied, developmental teaching, training, leading and examining on three continents.
Successfully completed MA TESOL & Teacher Education. Working on carving journal articles from dissertation currently.
• Awarded Trinity TESOL Certificate (2003) & Cambridge Diploma in ELT (2006) Young Learner extension certificate (2009).• Skilled at customizing courses, course writing, client relationship management, and product / project development.• Led numerous workshops at conferences:IATEFL BESIG, ISTEK, ATEL,VRT, BETA, RATE and in-house for British Council.
Jun 2011 - Present
Pre-sessional tutor & teacher trainer
Worked with a group of Chinese English teachers.
- Advanced Language knowledge
- British Cultural Studies
- Teaching and Learning Languages
Pre-sessional Course Tutor
Working with undergraduate and post-graduate humanities students, preparing them for Anglo-Amercian Academia and their lives in Manchester more generally. Focus on skills development within an EAP paradigm. Here is a link to our class blog www.manchesterps5.blogspot.com
Aug 2012 - Present
Teacher Development Centre
Working in a team of teacher trainers. Trained to be a CELTA assistant course tutor.
Leading public courses on Pronunciation, Text Types, Kindergarten teaching, Grammar and more for teachers, assistants, parents and tutors.
Working on projects, like the whole school approach to effective communication, for the Ministry of Education, districts, and schools.
Oct 2011 - Jul 2012
Freelance Teacher Trainer
Researching, writing and delivering workshops for Palestinian Ministry of Education, UNRWA and university ELT trainees on:
- spelling & punctuation,
- giving motivating feedback on writing,
- informal assessment,
- doing listening
I delivered three off the shelf British Council Classroom Language courses to pre-service teachers at Hebron University.
I completed a research report about pre-service teacher education in Palestine.
I worked with a variety of teachers on less formal teacher development activities (helping with research, lesson & course planning, editing a newsletter for Palestinian ELTs)
May 2011 - Jul 2011
Reading for academic purposes tutor
Working with 7 Iraqi students who planned to enter US colleges in the coming academic year. Focus areas included academic reading:
- developing students' critical reading skills
- extending students using genre analysis
Jun 2011 - Jun 2011
Writing Skills Workshop Leader
Successfully ran a customized one day writing skills workshop for twelve Agha Khan employees and volunteers.
Sep 2010 - Mar 2011
Lecturer - Effective Writing
- Developed my teaching of writing by bringing new insights on culture, motivation, feedback, error correction linked to my MA project, presentation here (download version has audio).
- Used new tools, moodle and etherpad in my classroom blend.
- Taught EAP to foundation level students entering a University context.
Sep 2007 - Sep 2010
Corporate Training Manager
- Generated GBP45K of income (2009-10) and had input on academic affairs.
- Gained qualifications: CELTYL extension, IMA (interactive marketing award), began MA.
- Designed, wrote and successfully delivered online courses using screencasting.
- Line managed and supported trainers, hourly paid teachers, & mentored state school teachers.
- Led workshops on assessment for state school teachers
- Ran collegial training sessions on teaching 'culture', integrating technology, and pronunciation.
- Published a book chapter on work in this period
Jul 2005 - Jul 2007
Teacher of English
• Led teacher training sessions for colleagues on using blogs and on pronunciation andspeaking for Thai state school FL teachers.• Began experimenting with using blogs in ELT providing a new medium and audience for learners.• Completed DELTA & IELTS examiner training.
Feb 2002 - Jun 2005
Teacher of English / Social Programme Manager / Summer operations manager
ISIS Greenwich School of English, London, Jan 2002 - June 2005Teacher of English / Social Programme Manager / Summer operations Manager (FT)• Led on logistics and extra-curricular activities for large groups.• Developed my teaching over a wide variety of levels and ages in multilingual classes, includingtime on secondment to a US summer camp teaching 1:1 to VIP non-native speaker youngsters.
Oct 2000 - Jun 2001
Student Activities Organiser
Youth work role in challenging south London environment.
Led training sessions on computer skills, and driving theory.
Attended training about young men and sexuality provided by the FPA.Organised a number of events, including college talent shows.