- South Africa, ZA
- [email protected]
As a Voice Services and Systems Engineer working for a IT and Telecom solutions company I'm responsible for the installation, configuration and support of voice systems (Kamailio and Asterisk) and other services running off Linux platforms. Our Voice platform is just starting, thus I spend 20% of my time helping developers VOIP UI while I do the asterisk dialplan and SIP proxying. Below are my day to day routines
Installation and configuration of Linux related services
Enriching our automation platform, trying to make deployment and HA as humanless as possible. We use puppet and Chef, chef is mainly for our cloud platforms
Documentation of configs, business continuity etc
Liaise with MTN africa for our aggregation platform support.
Security audits and reporting.
This position requires ingenuity to get the job done with help of Open Source and following industry standards.
Monitoring with Nagios
Database Management, Cassandra, Mongo and MariaDB
Open Source Contribution – currently working on a bacula project
My role also includes what used to do at Wesbank below.
The job role includes, but not limited to clustering, load-balancing, virtualization and high-availability techniques. This role involves working in a cutting-edge Linux, VMware, and Open Source-heavy environment. Roughly 70% of the time will be spent on architecture, engineering and new builds with the remaining 30% spent on maintenance and support. Specific responsibilities include all typical duties of a Senior Engineer including, planning, builds, capacity-planning, scripting, automation, and backups. The position is also focus on change control procedures to plan/test/implement Infrastructure changes in coordination with business owners.
I also provide technical analysis and design consulting support for major business applications.
Troubleshooting OS and hardware problems for local and remote servers.
Worked in HA environment, maintaining over 450 Redhat Linux servers SLA for a large telco company (Vodacom SA)
Was responsible for effective installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure
Participated in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure
Performing technical liaison between Platforms team, operations co-ordinator, and internal organizations
Research and recommend innovative and automated approaches for system administration tasks
Investigate and troubleshoot issues, including logging of defects, performing preliminary root-cause analysis and identifying course of action
Repair and recover from hardware or software failures, including coordinating and communicating with impacted constituencies.
Configure and/or add new services as necessary
Maintain operational, configuration and/or other procedures
Contribute to and maintain system standards
Maintain data centre/server room environmental and monitoring equipment
Ensure secure operation of all servers and services through the use of security and encryption tools, staff training and documentation
Installation, configuration and maintainence of oracle DB infrastructure, RACs. (10g and 11g) Running Linux infrastructure
Supporting over 150 virtualized and clustered environments running on vmware esx. I'm also leading a team that is trying the Redhat Virtualization platform.
Business information systems