Four years of measurable experience in Broadcast/Journalism, Public Relations and Marketing, Communications and Special Event Planning across several industries. Outstanding qualifications include creative idealization, writing, video production, research and relationship building.
USOvation Award, for Outreach Programs 2010
USO Kudos Award, for Outstanding Contribution to the USO Blog, 2010
Thomas Jefferson Best Newscast Award for Nimitz Presents..., 2007
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Professional Designation, 2005
Prudential Spirit of Community Award, for Top Male Community Service Student, 2001
Maroon & Gold Scholar, for Academic and Community Achievements, 1998-2001
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising--Alumni Advisory Board member
Community Service--Wounded Warrior Project, USO, Fashion Ed, March of Dimes,
Event Planning--Freelance Event Implementation
Fashion Styling--Photo Shoots, Fashion Shows, TV Commercials, Movies
Traveling--Panamá, México, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, UAE, Australia among others
Nov 2009 - May 2011
Duty Manager / Public Affairs Coordinator
- Center Operations: Maintained and ensured all 10 center activity areas were operational and including: gaming areas, phone rooms, check-in counter, computer rooms, bistro, and all program related areas. Managed distribution of 300 materials (DVD’s, Video Games etc.) to visitors. Interacted and provided superior customer service to over 35,000 NATO troops a month.
- Event Coordination: Successfully planned over 36 events affecting over 100,000 troops. Coordinated seven USO Celebrity Tours with over 18 celebrities with USO Headquarters Entertainment Department. Responsible for monthly center related activities and events such as cookouts, movie nights, sporting events, and game nights.
- Public Affairs Duties: Served as primary liaison for USO Kandahar local coverage by devising specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests including; writing 12 news releases used for external release; trained and provided advice to three company officials for press conferences and media interviews based on USO HQ directives and speaking points; maintained strong media relations with local and outside media including Unit Public Affairs, Armed Forces Network other national and international media and bloggers. Developed written materials, including 40+ story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, presentations and speeches with guidance from USO World Headquarters Communications Department. Took over 5,000 photos--Over 500 used for various outlets including: official USO website, blog, Facebook and USO Kandahar Facebook. Responsible for maintaining USO Kandahar Social Media--Increasing Facebook traffic by 90%
- Center Maintenance: Ensured the center was clean and presentable at all times including: stocking and replenishing bistro area, cleaning of all stations and facilities, and proper cleaning of all equipment.
- Administrative Duties: Conducted yearly inventory and program related supplies. Monitored phones and answered all incoming questions. Tracked and monitored equipment usage by visitors. Collected and distributed over 100K lbs. of mail a year. Prepared correspondence such as 36 programs announcements and over 200 volunteer recognition letters and 100 daily United Through Reading packages
- Volunteer Opportunities: Served as Volunteer Coordinator managing over 215 volunteers. Supervised over 10 USO center volunteers during operational hours. Affected the lives of over 50 US Wounded Warriors by volunteering with the Wounded Warrior Project. Volunteered at two Wounded Warrior Units, passed out hundreds of Wounded Warrior kits, visited with dozens of Wounded Warriors in hospital.
- Special Project Oversight, Art of War--Barrier Paintings in the Middle East.
Aug 2007 - Nov 2009
Spanish Teacher (Substitute)
Mountain Ridge High School
- Instructional Duties: Taught intermediate (2nd year) verbal and written Spanish. Implemented State Standards and District Curriculum. Selected at least three appropriate instructional goals daily. Designed and implemented coherent instruction. Weekly assessed student learning. Provided differentiated instruction for students of all abilities. Used effective motivational techniques such as Total Physical Response. Provided useful and timely feedback to students. Maintained the overall highest test scores for Spanish 1-2 students and the second highest test scores for Spanish 3-4 students out of all other Spanish classes.
- Classroom Management: Effectively managed over 173 students on a daily basis. Provided classroom procedures. Managed student behavior including implementing disciplinary measures. Provided excellent customer service to parents and guardians in an efficient time frame of 48hrs. Updated teacher website daily.
- Supervisory Duties: Supervised and evaluated three assigned paraprofessionals or teacher aides. Supervised 173 students. Supervised over 12 parent volunteers or chaperons.
Jun 2006 - Jul 2008
Anchor/Reporter Public Affairs Specialist
- Television Studio Duties: Anchored & Produced weekly live newscast—Nimitz Presents… Shot and edited over 48 video news packages. Over 12 packages used on Daily News Updates, three stories used by external media, raw footage used by external media. Conceptualized and managed Command Information Channel, SITE-TV Channel 8. Managed three movies channels. Produced over 10 training videos. Filmed and edited monthly Captain's Call Address. Provided live support for weekly BINGO broadcast.
- Public Affairs Duties: Handled visual, audio and written communications for internal and public audiences, choosing the best media to deliver information. Responded to dozens of reporters, and provided intuitive advice to four top-level Navy decision makers. Briefed military personnel before they met with the public and news media. Scheduled and conducted news conferences. Supervised the writing and delivery of 40 press releases and reports. Wrote compelling and accurate news copy for Nimitz News, Naval Media Center, Daily News Update and All Hands Television.
- Sailor Duties: General Quarters Locker member--Emergency First Response Unit. Provided guided ship tours to public and distinguished visitors. Escorted over 100 embedded and visiting media. Stood watch while in port. Maintained "excelling" standards in Physical Readiness Test. Maintained "Must Promote" on all performance evaluations.
- Volunteer Opportunities: USO Volunteer while in ports working with over 10,000 troops. Worked Moral Welfare and Recreation Counter providing customer service to more then 5,000 sailors and marines.
Jul 2004 - Jun 2005
Associates of Art
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
The Visual Communications Program offers students a diversified, creative business background in visual presentation, exhibit/trade show design, retail and special event display, and store planning, with an emphasis on the fashion and entertainment industries. Students benefit from exposure to practical and theoretical visual merchandising techniques. Courses include presentation design, color theory, concept visualization, merchandise trend analysis, and computer graphics.
Aug 1998 - May 2001
Bachelor of Arts
Arizona State University
Students in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication get the best of the old and new journalism worlds: They learn the values and principles that have long formed the core of the journalism profession, and they master highly specialized, practical skills needed to succeed in today’s digital world.
Aug 1998 - May 2001
Bachelor of Arts
Arizona State University
Students in the B.A. in Spanish program have the opportunity to gain oral, reading, speaking and written proficiency in the language. The literature and culture emphasis provides an in-depth understanding of the themes of Spanish and Latin American culture and literature and the contemporary issues throughout the Spanish-speaking world.