Through a variety professional experiences, a comprehensive and well-rounded education, professional development, and professional affiliations, I posess outstanding skills and background knowledge that make me an strong educational leader.Community involvement and a balanced lifestyle make me an equally effective role model.
As a teacher professional it is my responsibility to prepare teacher candidates for a highly competitive world:
- To create a learning environment where students develop a deep understanding of their content area and how it applies to their futures.
- To provide every student the chance to explore and enjoy the learning process through differentiated instruction, technology integration, and opportunities to demonstrate the depth of their knowledge within theoretical and authentic realms.
- To educate students in a manner that encourages them to be lifelong learners.
Conference Presenter - Statewide Teaching and Learning Conference 2014 - "Increasing Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills Through Flipped 2.0 Teaching." Des Moines, Iowa.
Conference Presenter - Iowa Technology in Education Conference 2013 - "Using Technology to Improve Critical Thinking, Motivation, and Student Engagement in the Calculus Classroom." Des Moines, Iowa.
Conference Presenter - Iowa One-To-One Conference 2013 - "Math Can Use Technology, Too!" The evolution of student thought with technology and the flipped teaching 2.0 model. Des Moines, Iowa
Conference Presenter - Technology Integration and Intruction for the 21st Century Learner Conference - "Authentic Assessments with Technology" June 2012. Storm Lake, Iowa
"Authentic Assessments in the Classroom" January 2012. Sioux Central District In-service
"Using iPads to improve student motivation in the elementary classroom" November 2012. Sioux Central District In-Service.
"Flipping the Classroom to Increase Quadrant D Thinking"' August 2012. Sioux Central District In-service
"Technology-Based Classroom Management Tools that Increase Student Engagement" August 2012. Sioux Central District In-service
"Using Bloom's Taxonomy in the Tech-Savvy Classroom" August 2012. Sioux Central District In-service
“Using Technology to Deepen Student Learning” Ellicott School District in-service
“Presenting Curricular Concepts through Podcasting” Colorado Springs teacher in-service
“Differentiated/Mulitsensory Instruction in Diverse Classrooms” Ellicott School District in-service
“Inspiration and other Graphic Organizers: Beyond the Writing Process” Colorado Springs teacher in-service
Mar 2014 - Present
Assistant Professor, Director of Graduate Studies in Education
My responsibilities include the supervision, evaluation, and coordination of professors, logistics, and facilities for the graduate program in education.
Masters level candidates - Learning, Instruction, and Motivation (GEDU512), Assessment and Evaluation of Classroom Learning (GEDU518)
Undergraduate level - Development of the School-Age Child (EDCO240)
Aug 2011 - 2014
Technology Integration Specialist
My responsibilities at Sioux Central Community School District are the education of K-12 staff and students on the effective use of technology-infused practices and authentic learning tasks to increase critical thinking skills and increase student engagement in the classroom. I work with teachers to ensure they can use, demonstrate, and feel comfortable creating a positive, motivating learning experience in a 1:1 laptop environment. I observe classroom teachers and offer constructive tips on how a lesson could be presented better or in a more rigorous way in a 1:1 laptop environment. An emphasis is place not only on effective use of technology, but also on when it is or is not appropriate for meeting learning objectives and student needs.
I am responsible for 50% of the professional development in my district. With the collaboration of the administration, I introduce new technology, tools, and strategies that evidence an increase in student learning and critical thinking skills in the classroom.
I present annually at the Iowa Technology in Education Conference and Iowa 1:1 Conference on how to increase critical thinking, motivation, and student ownership of academics in the 1:1 laptop and Flipped Teaching classroom environments.
I have presented at the Technology Integration and Instruction for the 21st Century Conference concerning authentic assessment in the high school classroom.
I oversee the Elementary iPad initiative and collaborate with teachers to ensure they have the proper instruction needed to use technology resources to maximize student learning. In addition to this, it is my responsibility to ensure students have the proper learning resources available on the iPads and/or laptops. I frequently co-teach with elementary teachers to bolster content with technology strategies.
Aug 2009 - May 2011
Secondary Science Teacher
Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8
- Provide a depth of instruction in high school chemistry, honors chemistry, and college chemistry, as well as general integrated science courses through a variety of instructional modes including daily technology integration and weekly laboratory instruction in order to achieve Quadrant D learning.
- Facilitate cross-curricular activities to incorporate high levels of writing and mathematics in life-like situations
- Lead ACT preparation courses annually for all Juniors and self-identified seniors
- Consult and co-teach with building level Exceptional Student Services teachers as a specialist ,within the science department, for supporting student success in the classroom when moderate to profound disabilities are of concern
- Served on district K-12 science curriculum alignment team
- Served on CSAP assessment-to-standards alignment committee
- Assist with marching band and pep band activities
- Class sponsor
Aug 2007 - Aug 2009
Secondary Science Teacher
Ellicott School District 22
- Provide traditional, technology-based, and project-based instruction in Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Physical Science.
- Assess student performance through benchmarking and curriculum based assessments.
- Facilitate cross-curricular learning activities in math and writing.
- Serve as a consultant in the District RtI model
- Oversee District compliance of hazardous materials handling
- Provide professional development in technology integration
- Head Coach: middle school football
Aug 2002 - Jul 2007
Secondary Science Teacher
- Provide differentiated instruction in Science to students grades 6-12, including Middle School Integrated Science, Earth Science, Physical Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Forensic Science
- Serve on school leadership team
- Band director for grades 6-12
- Grant writing for arts and athletics funding resulting in $30,000 in funding for developing and growing new music and football programs
- Athletics coach in middle and high school football, high school boys’ basketball, and track field events.
- Class sponsor
Dec 2011 - Feb 2016
Ph.D. in Education Specialization - Learning, Instruction, and Innovation
Dissertation: Examining student perceptions of high school mathematics students in a flipped learning classroom
Sep 2006 - Feb 2008
Thesis: Using mulitsensory instruction and project based learning to improve student motivation and critical thinking skills.
Aug 2002 - Aug 2004
Teaching Endorsement Courses
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Aug 1991 - May 1995
B.S. Biology, minor in Chemistry
Thesis:The use of Amino-guanidine to reduce the effects oflead poisoning in rats.
2008: Selected by Colorado Department of Education to serve on the CSAP alignment team for Science CSAPs across targeted grade levels.
2003: Teacher of the Year, Secondary Science, Troop to Teachers
Jun 2012 - Jun 2018
Master Teacher License - Secondary Science
Iowa Department of Education
Certified Instructor - Zapping the ACT
ZAPS Learning Company
Secondary Science Teacher Professional License
Colorado Department of Education
Understanding by Design - Curriculum Development
Educational Assessments & Performance Data
Laboratory Safety Training & Certification
Hazardous Materials Handling & Transportation
- Moderator for the Flipped Learning Network Ning
- Technology Integration
- Current Events in Science and the World
- Alternative Energy
- Hunting, Fishing, and the Outdoors
- Cycling, Snowboarding, and Skiing
- Family Activities
International Society for Technology in Education - ISTE
National Science Teachers Association - NSTA
Iowa Technology in Education Conference - ITEC