Technology and services executive with a strong background in Global Technical Support, Professional Services, Service Marketing, Service Readiness, Sustaining Engineering, Field Support and MIS/IT. I have assisted a number of top organizations including Salesforce.com, Nokia, NetApp, SONY, Hitachi, IBM/ FileNet, McKesson, Wind River and Quest Software optimize and redesign their service delivery, eService and Social support models to increase customer retention, loyalty and profitability.My focus is on helping organizations update and improve the effectiveness of their service capabilities by building new service strategies, service models, process and infrastructure. I have directly managed over 200+ support professionals in direct reporting roles and over 1000 service professionals in advisory roles in pre-ipo start-ups all the way up to Fortune 100 corporations.Some of my key skills include; - The ability to think "outside the box" to design cost effective services that help differentiate the products and company involved. - A knack for finding the key bottom line issues and items needed for meaningful improvements - Ability to effectively interface with "C" level executives as well as individual contributors- Skilled at building optimized, repeatable processes that focus on delivering customer value
Some key accomplishments include:
• Redesigned and reorganized the services organization for a $2B technology organizations resulting in a significant reduction in cost per case, case age and improved customer satisfaction for key accounts.• Designed eSupport Service Models utilizing key process and technologies around support communities/forums, chat, Support Portals, etc. that drove down costs and improved customer satisfaction.• Conducted strategic and operational assessments of global services organizations and evaluation of enterprise wide processes, people, metrics and information systems.• Outsourcing and Off-shoring support models that balanced cost reduction, support quality and customer satisfaction requirements.• Professional Services Engagement models that decreased cost/time float, increased customer satisfaction and cross-organizational communications.• Innovative support models and metrics to meet new market demands and help differentiate vendor products through services• Roadmaps and execution plans for improving service effectiveness across and the global service chain for the Americas, EMEA and APAC.
“Don brought his experience to a small and growing software company that needed organization and professionalism in all aspects of software delivery; including product management, development, qa, services, and support. This influence allowed the company to grow and ultimately go public on the Nasdaq.” April 14, 2008
Ty Bordner, Director, Engineering, Vastera reported to Don at Vastera
“Don has a great grasp of the intersection of business and IT. During the period of webMethods' greatest growth, and in advance of having a CIO, we brought Don in to select and implement our business systems. He did a great job, and was instrumental in helping us grow into our revenue run-rate.” April 9, 2008
Phillip Merrick, Chairman and CEO, webMethods managed Don at webMethods
“Don is a seasoned professional who has extensive expertise in the technology services arena. Don has worked on some of our largest consulting projects, including global assessments, reengineering of service operations and design of enterprise level service offerings for industry leading technology companies. I highly recommend Don based on his expertise and the fact that he is a pleasure to work with. His straight forward, no nonsense approach is always appreciated by both his peers and clients.” April 7, 2008
Greg Coleman, Vice President Strategic Programs, Service Strategies Corporationworked directly with Don at Service Strategies
2001 - Present
Sr. Consultant, Strategic Services
Sr. Consultant focused on improving the effectiveness of global services organizations by building new service models and services infrastructure across Global Technical Support, Professional Services, Service Marketing, Sales, Service Readiness, Sustaining Engineering and Field Support for key vendors, e.g. NetApp, FileNet, Quest Software, Wind River, Salesforce.com, Nokia and McKesson. Duties include creating proposals, managing engagements, conducting strategic assessments, stakeholder interviews, solution development, executive committee recommendations, road-maps and strategic plan development and executive presentations.Some key topics include: SMB support, eService models, Professional Services, Strategic and Premier Support Programs & Service Segmentation, IT systems, SLA and Metric Development, Revenue Generation, Cost Reduction, Outsourcing and Offshoring, Services Sales Models, Cross Organizational Collaboration and Partner Support Models.
2000 - 2001
Led IT system implementations supporting the needs of the professional services businesses and the design and build out of customer specific technology solutions targeted to XML B2B solutions based on webMethods technology.• Designed the technical architecture for hosted collaborative B2B solutions and managed delivery of the platform built on Solaris, Oracle, BEA webLogic, webMethods Integration Server, OpenText, Netegrity, LDAP and Java J2EE• Implemented internal IT systems including Oracle Financials, Centra e-Learning, Portera Professional Services Automation systems and Knowledge Management.• Ramped up from 5 to 150 professional consultants company wide.
1999 - 2000
CIO/Consultant to CEO
Commissioned by CEO to select, design and implement enterprise wide systems to support sales, services, R&D and the company’s aggressive growth, acquisition and IPO plans.• Analyzed business requirements, designed hardware and software architecture and implemented Siebel Call Center/SFA across multiple organizations, partners and geographies. • Designed and implemented enterprise-wide Knowledge Management and Document Management Systems. These systems made major improvements in knowledge sharing, customer management and sales tracking throughout the company and its external partners and customers.
1997 - 1999
Executive Vice President, Operations
Recruited to upgrade the service and support infrastructure, grow service revenue, build partner programs and manage the Customer Services, Training, QA, Professional Services and MIS/IT functions.
• Significantly grew services revenue from under $1M to a $12M+ run rate, which accounted for over 50% of total company revenue.• Personally developed and closed key service partnerships with Andersen Consulting, KPMG and AnswerThink.• Drove successful product implementations generating key reference accounts.
• Implemented processes for Professional Services, Product Management, Partner Certification, Product Release and Implementation driving repeatability and continuous improvement. • Designed and implemented the company’s first CRM and SFA systems, providing a scalable platform for growth. • Proactively moved customers through to a new product platform and instituted a product quality improvement initiative to alleviate customer issues with the new products. • Delivered and supported enterprise products on multi-platform(Solaris, HP-UX, AIX and NT), multi-DBMS(Oracle, Sybase and SQL Server) environments interfacing with SAP, PeopleSoft, JDE, i2 and other Supply Chain and ERP products.
1985 - 1996
Sr. VP, Services
Intersolv / Merant
Member of the Executive Management Team of this enterprise software solutions provider. Owned P&L for worldwide services and established an enterprise level, award-winning services organization that supported over 15,000 customer sites and over 400,000 users. • Drove Worldwide Services revenue from less than $1M to over $50M+, representing 35% of total corporate revenue with a staff of over 200 support professionals in 4 major service centers.• Built company’s first Professional Services organization growing it from zero to over one hundred consultants.
• Managed and organized key annual user conferences and events.
• Implemented real-time direct call support model and innovative online customer support tools.
• Merged multiple product lines, service points and multiple acquisitions into a single customer centric services organization.• Managed all internal IT and MIS systems. Implemented Vantive CRM and Saratoga SFA, Knowledge bases, customer support web sites and other support systems.• Implemented corporate wide quality and product management processes, improving product quality, shortening cycle times and improving customer satisfaction.