Director, New Product Development & FR Technologies
New Product Development, New Product Design, Material Development, Project Management, Innovation Processes, Team Building, FR Systems & Troubleshooting in Mattress Design
- Reorganized team to increase functional effectiveness and enhance the development of direct reports within the organization.Decentralized the responsibility for specification development and brand specific development projects, which improved throughput.
- Mentored team members in cross-functional interactions and career development activities.
- Led research effort on the PosturePedic PurEmbrace latex mattress line, the first Sealy line to incorporate two-piece borders and inside seams on top surface of the mattress.In addition, project launch was moved up 6 months.
- Provided technical leadership on TrueForm product line, which led to a technology that enabled the first substantiated claim of pressure reduction in viscoelastic (memory foam) mattresses, made against the market leader.Developed methodology that allowed substantiated claims.
- Co-developed methodology to quantify pressure distribution in bedding systems which enabled 2009 Sealy PosturePedic line to make a competitive claim of designs to reduce tossing & turning due to pressure points.
- Contributed key design ideas that led to the distinctive appearance of the 2009 Stearns & Foster line and the 2008 PurEmbrace line.
- Headed troubleshooting of fire resistant systems of mattress prototypes without direct control of testing resources; many recommended design changes enabled prototypes to quickly pass regulatory fire resistance testing and move to commercialization.
- Spearheaded the writing and approval of all specifications for foams, nonwovens, purchased laminated constructions, and purchased sewn constructions; resulting in improved documentation of purchased materials, and a streamlining of the process required to get from vision to specification.Also enhanced the relationship with suppliers to facilitate the process.
- Membership on the following cross-functional teams: Stearns & Foster, PosturePedic, Promotional Bedding, Specialty Bedding and Skunk Works Projects.Recognized technology leader for Customer Service, Sales, Marketing, Operations, Suppliers and Retailers.Key R&E liaison with the Marketing Merchandising Team.
- Led a cross-functional team that identified drivers of mattress returns.Recommended improvements in design & manufacturing processes resulted in $7 million in cost savings in first year of implementation, and a cumulative savings, to date, of $45 million.