- Sochi (Russia) 2014 Olympic Bid campaign - Consultant (edited and proofread their Bid Book)
- New York City 2012 Olympic Bid campaign - member of Communications sub-committee
- Organized and implemented MBA seminar on sports marketing at College of William & Mary, School of Business
- Lecturer at Masters level sports marketing programs at Yale, College of William & Mary and New York University
- Speaker at trade shows (International Events Group and National Sports Forum)
- National Sports Marketing Network - Founding member of Board of Advisors
Senior executive and consultant with an extensive track record in designing and executing successful strategic and tactical branding programs. Background includes: corporate sponsorship, corporate communications, marketing research, special events, rebranding, business development and program evaluation. Special ability to hire, manage and motivate marketing teams that produce innovative and measurable results. Industry experience includes: sports, entertainment, publishing, financial services and travel.
- Strategic planning and valuation
- Team building and agency management
- Branding and reputation management
- Client relations and business development
- Product development and program evaluation
- Market research and competitive analysis
Apr 2008 - Present
Doug Pirnie Consulting
Provide corporations, rights holders and agencies with strategic counseling on business development, activation programs and sponsorship valuations. Develop Return on Investment (ROI) and Return on Opportunity ROO) calculations; prepare responses to RFP's, and develop and make sales/marketing presentations.
Apr 2007 - Apr 2008
Advised the founders of PRISM, a division of JWT, on a variety of business development activities for high-profile clients. PRISM is JWT's sponsorship and sports marketing agency. Responsibilities included strategy development, client servicing, writing proposals and presentations and responding to Requests for Proposal (RFPs).
- Created and implemented programs to value stadium and arena naming rights and refined Return on Objective (ROO) and Return on Investment (ROI) sponsorship calculations for clients including Miami Dolphins, Xerox, Coca-Cola Bottling Co, Rolex, Ferrari and PGA of America.
- Coached PRISM executives on making winning presentations. Created talking points, drafted outlines and Q&A documents. Wrote proposals that won client renewals and new business.
Nov 1976 - Dec 2006
Sr. Vice President
Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing Services
Created and managed IMG's first sales and marketing services department responsible for branding and positioning IMG and its clients worldwide. Key member of senior sales and marketing team that grew the company to over $1 billion in annual sales. Supervised activities of five direct reports and a team of five design and production professionals.
Strategic Branding, Lifestyle Marketing and Business Development
- Designed and implemented branding programs that strengthened the Coors and Polaroid brands (rodeo), Seagram (polo), Discover Card (figure skating), Kodak (the Olympics), Ocean Spray (Universal Studios) and March of Dimes (fund-raising).
- Led development of new service, a VIP hospitality capability that generated high ROI for clients including AT&T, Seagram, Home Depot, United Airlines, WorldCom and DHL.
- Key member of global business development team that marketed and closed high-profile special projects for clients such as Universal Studios ($130M in sponsorship revenue); the United States Olympic Committee ($180M); Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ($40M); and The GRAMMYs ($12M).
- Conceived, wrote and developed successful sales presentations for new business development; wrote industry and client competitive analyses for consulting division clients.
Marketing Research, Demographics and Program Evaluation
- Designed and implemented evaluation program and metrics to enable clients to measure the added value of special events and other marketing programs.
- Designed and executed audience research programs for clients based on real-time feedback at sports events and festivals.
- Introduced state-of-the-art tools, including Internet-based media tracking systems, to analyze public affairs issues facing clients.
Vice President, IMG Consulting
- Part of client services team working with over 50 corporate clients.
- Created, negotiated for and implemented activation programs locally and nationally.
- Developed sponsorship evaluation procedures and implemented them for over 20 clients.
1973 - 1976
Golf Digest/Tennis Magazines
- Provided sales and market research support to staff of over 10 sales people.
- Edited and published golf industry trade magazine distributed to over 10,000 club managers nationally.
1969 - 1972
Director of Press Information
- Wrote and distributed news releases on magazine's editorial content and business developments.
- Prepared radio scripts and conducted interviews with athletes/coaches.
- Served as contact point for media queries.