An experienced Product Management and Marketing Professional with an engaging and enthusiastic vigor for bridging the gap between technology and business – generating $104.5 Million in sales and $26.3 Million in gross profit through his cradle-to-grave lifecycle management style for a microprocessor and DSP based proprietary module product line that reduced cost, reduced product time-to-market and simplified product upgrades for telecommunication and embedded computing suppliers. A proven marketing and sales leader with a record of growing revenues and profits, creating cross functional teams that bridge organizational boundaries through a consensus management style and creating strong customer relationships.
2011 - Present
REMI Networks is a consulting firm specializing in the implementation of Smart Grid software architecture to deploy the NAESB REQ 21 Energy Services Provider Interface (ESPI) and Open Automatic Data Exchange (OpenADE) standards.
FOUNDER - CTO
- Active participant in the weekly OpenESPI and OpenADE Task Force conference calls contributing to the development of an open source ESPI Data Custodian and Third Party platform and the development of a test and certification software specification.
- Chairs the OpenESPI OAuth Sub-committee which architects the integration of the OAuth 2.0 specification and the ESPI 1.0 Standard defining the proper usage of OAuth 2.0 for each of the defined ESPI use cases.
Mar 2009 - May 2010
Saddleback Valley Systems is a startup providing flexible, easy to use Home Area Network (HAN) solutions based on smart processors and open source software.
FOUNDER - HEAD OF ENGINEERING/PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Conceptualized and validated basic logic design of Home Area Network (HAN) products ensuring achievability of targeted product cost and feasibility of design and manufacturability.
- Monitored competitive product announcements to ensure product features provided potential customers with greater benefits at a significant cost savings.
- Met with utilities to understand their approach for supporting Home Area Network (HAN) products ensuring Saddleback Valley Systems’ sales and marketing plans complied with utility industry smart grid implementation and roll out plans.
- Monitored standard committees to ensure Home Area Network (HAN) products would obtain certification for compliance to the rapidly changing Smart Grid interface standards.
Jun 1998 - Jan 2009
Viking Modular Solutions, Sanmina-SCI Corporation, focuses on delivering innovative, high-quality memory and communication modules primarily in the server, storage, telecommunications and embedded markets. This includes the design, manufacture and support of memory and communication module solutions using DRAM, Flash and Microprocessors.
PRODUCT MARKETING MANAGER, PROCESSOR PRODUCTS
- Generated $104.5 Million in sales and $26.3 Million in gross profit by creating and managing all product lifecycle and marketing activities for a proprietary microprocessor and DSP based module product line sold to telecommunication and embedded computing OEM customers.
- Generated an additional $7.3 Million in revenue and $2.8 Million in gross profit by expanding DSP module design to include microprocessor based modules resulting in penetration of embedded processor market.
- Increased the microprocessor and DSP product line gross margin from 13.38% to 46.34% by working with the purchasing department to reduce material cost and by increasing the unit average sales price.
- Annually achieved 30% or higher gross margin for the microprocessor and DSP product line by controlling all product line pricing through responses to RFQs submitted by worldwide sales team.
- Created all (50+) product requirement definitions for microprocessor and DSP based module products, which required an analysis of various microprocessor and DSP implementation interface specifications.
- Ensured new product designs met customer requirements by working closely with engineering, sales, purchasing and manufacturing cross-functional team.
- Increased effective direct sales force from 10 to 500 through partnerships with microprocessor and DSP suppliers ensuring their sales teams and senior management understood the benefits of modular design.
- Assisted in closure of new designs at key OEM customer accounts by traveling extensively to support worldwide sales team as technical expert in customer meetings.
- Obtained senior management support of microprocessor and DSP product line growth through internal and external product evangelism.
Jan 1994 - Mar 1998
Adaptec is a leading provider of innovative data storage hardware and software solutions. Today, Adaptec remains strong in the data storage I/O market, delivering ASICs, host-bus adapters, value-oriented and high-performance SATA/SAS and SCSI RAID controllers, and storage software for IP storage area networks.
MANAGER, INTEL STRATEGIC RELATIONS
- Obtained increased sales opportunities by establishing strategic quarterly meetings with Intel and Adaptec executives and business units to discuss future technology directions and roadmaps ensuring Adaptec's product development cycles met the needs of Adaptec's OEM customers.
- Obtained increased sales opportunities by convincing Intel to include Adaptec (a non-OEM customer) in the 440LX chipset OEM Validation partner program ensuring all Adaptec products were compatible with the Intel 440LX chipset prior to its mass production.
SENIOR PROGRAM MARKETING MANAGER
- Obtained increased sales opportunities by creating a strategic relations program focused on hard drive, CD-ROM, and CD-Recordable suppliers that identified, developed and strengthened Adaptec's relationships.
PRODUCT MARKETING MANAGER
- Obtained increased sales opportunities by managing all product marketing activities for assigned SCSI products including sales training, product evangelism, strategic relations, product specification, product packaging and documentation.
OEM APPLICATIONS ENGINEER
- Obtained increased sales opportunities by providing customer support to assigned major OEM accounts which included providing evaluation units, responding to technical questions, providing technical sales support and creating OEM kits.
1993 - 1993
MVA Software, Inc.
MVA Software, a value added reseller of medical/dental billing and accounting systems, sold, customized, trained and maintained front office systems for physicians and clinics in southern California.PARTNER
- Customized, installed and supported Pacific Medsoft's "Practice Manager" medical/dental accounting system at various client sites. The software package was written using Microsoft's FoxPro database language and used either Novell or LANtastic local area network software to support from 4 to 20 workstations.
1988 - 1992
Control Data Corporation, Communication Systems Division
The Communication Systems Division of Control Data, manufactured, sold and supported a line of widearea network front-end processors that were used by the Bell regional operating companies. These products seamlessly connected terminals in Bell business offices with mainframes throughout the corporation network to access host-based installation, maintenance, billing and accounting applications.SENIOR SYSTEMS SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
- Provided customer support for Control Data's Extended Network Architecture Device Interface (XDI) product at Pacific Bell, US West, Bell South Services, Bell Atlantic and Bellcore. This support was both remote and on-site to resolve XDI software problems or new XDI equipment installations.
- Developed a procedure that allowed software problems to be resolved with minimal change to the existing operational software which increased customer software quality confidence for problem corrections and resulted in several customers ordering new XDI systems.
1980 - 1988
ISC Systems Corporation
ISC Systems Corporation manufactured, sold, customized and provided turnkey teller systems to the Savings and Loan industry.CONSULTANT SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- Prepared technical customer presentations to support major account sales.
- Provided customer account management, which included project leadership, design and implementation of wide area network communication interfaces and transaction processing flows and analysis and resolution of communication problems.
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER/TEAM LEADER
- Managed a staff of software engineers including hiring, training and supervision.
- The software team developed and maintained customized transaction processing systems for thirty-six (36) ISC customers located in California, Texas and Hawaii.
- Developed and maintained customized transaction processing systems for twelve (12) ISC customers using the GESCO service bureau teller and CRT mainframe based transaction systems.