Having graduated with an Electronic and Software Engineering degree, and recently completed a Masters Postgraduate in Sonic Art, I attain that the skills learnt have given me the experience to cover a wide range of suitable qualifications.
- Engineering has allowed me to expand skills in analogue and digital wiring with signal system abilities attributed to radio data, digital coding analysis and microcontroller development techniques. Embedded hardware, DSP development and FPGA ASIC design can also be included within this engineering knowledge.
- Work experience has also given me a shop-floor understanding of fault finding at system, device and circuit board level and maintenance skills such as soldering, knowledge of components, wiring.....
- Work experience with Qualitrol's 'Instruments division' has allowed me to learn and test network and remote interfaces that relies on TCP/IP, RS-232, fiber and twisted pair communications.
- I have awareness of current safety legislation requirements relating to IT and engineering such as 'BS EN ISO 9001:2000 and Danaher Integrity and Compliance. I am also familiar with the importance of practicing excellent timekeeping and customer service skills, which allow one to learn to develop quickly within high pressured, motivated, team-building environments.
- Working with Queens University in the varied course of Sonic Arts, I have had the opportunity to accredit skills in Electroacoustic Composition, Acoustics, Sound Installation Art, Sound Software Design and Interactive Controllers, (NIME, IRCAM) and Computer algorithm music. I therefore feel comfortable in environments that rely on audio-visual and studio technologies, systems and equipment.
Within these two converging areas, I feel one can practice the ability to develop new standards of excellence that further allow one to work with many different peers within one field.
Audio-Visual engineering systems
- As of most recent, the head of the sound & light department for the Great Moscow / Euro Circus in Australia and Special Effects at Holiday on ice, Stage Entertainment, and LX 2 for Thriller Live, Michael Jackson tribute
- My engineering thesis, was research into the field of '1-Bit audio algorithms with playback using PIC micro-controllers.'
- I have designed, produced and held a sound & art installation in Queens’s university student union for members of the public in May 2009. It was related to an indoor soccer game and Max-Msp audio playback techniques.
- The MA students of the Sonic Arts research center held a concert in September 2009, show-casing their final study development. I presented two live pieces of music for guitar, mandolin and tape for a live audience.
- I have also played with a local hometown music band between the years of 2006/2007.
This education has gained me experience in maintenance of a wide range of broadcast and production technologies, systems and equipment including: mixers, linear and non-linear edit systems, camera systems, audio and video recorders, studios, analogue and digital distribution and IP content networks, routers, communications systems, video and audio servers, automated scheduling, etc.
University Software Packages:
Matlab - Software design for development of a diagnostic tool for an Electrocardiogram ECG graphical interface.
Mplab - Assembly language for the development of microcontroller systems. For example, 'One bit Audio using PICs'
C++ - Final year within a team environment, we designed an object orientated 'Who wants to be a millionaire' game.
Microsoft Visual Basic - Basic knowledge for design of a windows based, 'Virtual Oscilloscope'.
FPGA Design - Digital ASM based Alarm Clock using ASICs, CLPDs and Quartus compatible for the EB136 Hardware.
Max-Msp - Virtual Studio technology ; 'Polyphonic Synthesizer ' with MAX-MSP and Cubase studio
- Sound installation 'Max Football Pro' ; Interactive indoor soccer game, with live audio MAX-MSP playback techniques.
Cubase Studio, Pro-tools, Logic Pro - Used for composition, recording and mixing throughout my personal musical career. Used for academic and university projects also.
Sibelius - Music notation software used for my masters dissertation to present'Electroacoustic composition for computer and instrument'
Arduino - open-source software environment used for developing an interactive controller for a guitar and midi designed instrument