Senior Unix Systems Administrator
The Operations team manages several hundred Linux, Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, and XenServer instances, in multiple geographical locations.
The technologies I use and maintain on a daily basis include:
- Applications: Confluence, Jenkins, Jira, Methode, Movable Type, OAS, OpenGrok, RT, Stormpost, Wordpress
- Application Servers: Django, Tomcat, Zope
- Caching: Memcache, Varnish
- Configuration Management: Ansible, Puppet
- Databases: MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server
- Directory Services: AD, LDAP, NIS, Radius
- DNS: Bind 9, Dynect, Microsoft DNS
- Email: Ironport email appliances, procmail, postfix, sendmail
- Integrity Monitoring: Osiris
- Languages: Awk, Bash, C, Groovy, Java, Perl, Python, sh, Tcl
- Load Balancing: Bigip, NetContinuum
- Monitoring: Cacti, InterMapper, net-snmp
- NFS: NetApp, F5 Acopia, EMC Isilon
- Web Servers: Apache, Lighttpd, Nginx
- Version control: CVS, Git, RCS, Subversion
- Virtualization: EC2, Solaris zones, Xen
Notable projects during this time include:
- Primarily responsible for continuous uptime of all Active Directory, Apache, Confluence, Django, DNS, Jenkins, Jira, Methode, MT, OAS, Postfix, Tomcat, Varnish, and Zope services, which includes participating in a rotating 24/7 on-call schedule.
- Converted entire infrastructure from hand-configured physical machines to Xen guests, configured automatically with Puppet and Ansible.
- Automated application deployment and configuration for Apache, Tomcat, and Django, using Jenkins, Ansible, and Subversion.
- Automated hundreds of routine daily processes to facilitate publishing both the Boston Globe newspaper and the Boston.com and BostonGlobe.com web sites.
- Implemented thousands of custom SNMP probes, enabling full monitoring of applications and services.
- Implemented non-trivial custom front-end content rules using Bigip irules.
- Built tools to facilitate continuous application testing and deployment, and instituted software development best practices, which included migrating the organization from CVS to Subversion, comprehensive unit testing, continuous builds using Jenkins, and hands-off deployments to a QA tier for testing.
- Built email-to-a-friend backend service that does spam and content filtering, black- and white-listing based on user preferences, throttling, reporting, and IP-based reputation filtering using Senderbase, while ensuring CAN-SPAM compliance.
- Built weather search application using MySQL stored procedures and custom tables optimized for the data set and historical search data.