- Listening to artists' demos and arrange live auditions for musicians.
- Attending shows at local clubs, bars, and other venues to listen for new acts, and study artists' websites or social networking profiles to listen to music clips.
- Research artists who are nearing the end of contracts with other labels.
- Responsible for arranging contracts with new talent and establishing relationships with existing artists.
- Find producers and recording studios for artists and create a recording budget for new projects.