Participation in the following organizations: American Marketing Association, Software & Information Industry Association, The Association of American Publishers, The CMO Club
Senior Marketing & Business Development Executive, with a solid track record of success in devising profit-driven business strategies and product solutions for the educational publishing, e-learning and digital media markets.Proven results launching new ventures, diversifying existing businesses, leading operational turn-arounds and driving top- and bottom-line results.Proven leader known for the ability to: communicate vision, develop and implement creative solutions, establish and promote mutually beneficial business relationships, and advance strategic initiatives to successful closure.
2006 - Feb 2008
SVP, Strategic Marketing
Gale, a part of Cengage Learning
- Brought in to lead new strategic e-marketing, marketing communications and interactive services for a $300 million information services company.
- With a staff of 35 and a $10+ million budget, executed marketing strategies to drive industry leading revenue growth, the majority coming from digital content initiatives.
- Championed the transition of marketing programs to address migration of print reference to online learning platforms and solutions resulting in double digit growth within major franchise properties.
- Key player on the corporate branding council responsible for the re-branding of Thomson Learning to Cengage Learning upon completion of the sale of the Company in July 2007.
- Executed game-changing innovation in:open web/end-user programs, go-to-market programs for new product launches, pricing, demand-generation, customer lifecycle management, customer advocacy and market intelligence.
2005 - 2006
- Spearheaded marketing for Professional & Education, a $300 million health science publisher.
- Managed staff of 75 and a $25+ million departmental budget.
- Leader in the business development and distribution of our content outside of traditional channels (representative companies: Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Amazon).
- Deployed new programs in: product innovation, customer intimacy, and e-commerce.
- Led strategic planning for print to digital migration that included the Company's two key strategy and operational benchmarks (World-wide Product Plan, Business Development Plan).
2000 - 2005
VP, Business Development & Corporate Licensing
ProQuest Information & Learning
- Key contributor to business plan development, funding, and launch of XanEdu Inc., resulting in a $20 million higher education e-publishing start-up venture of ProQuest.
- Executed business development including: strategy development, opportunity targeting, ROI analysis, contract negotiations, content acquisitions and implementation of closed deals.
- Closed strategic partnerships for marketing, distribution, technology, and content resulting in $5 million in less than 3 yrs.Representative companies included: Pearson, John Wiley & Sons, Barnes & Noble, Blackboard, Microsoft, Amazon, AOL, and Harvard.
- Closed 3 acquisitions and participated in the ongoing deal review process as a member of the corporate Merger & Acquisition team.
- Managed P&L for the corporate licensing group including key customers such as Factiva, LexisNexis, Dialog, and MarketWatch.
1998 - 2000
Executive Leadership & Strategic Advisor
O'Donnell & Associates
1998 to 2000
- Led business development at leading publishing strategy and services firm in the information industry.
- Championed consulting practice focused on establishing business models and strategy for companies launching or transitioning to an e-business. Clients included leading publishing, education, training, and digital media companies.
- Closed strategic partnerships in cooperation with client senior management as part of the firm's outsourcing services practice. Partnerships included distribution, e-commerce, content and technology solutions.
2000 to Present
- Engaged in advisory role to aid in driving new business, strengthening leading market position and positioning the firm for long-term, sustainable growth.
1996 - 1998
- Directed P&L for editorial, production, and marketing activities at a $20 million start-up, e- publishing company focused on education and training for the corporate market.
- Increased sales from $900k in FY96 to over $10 million in FY97; continued to build revenues organically and via acquistions to over $20 million within 2 years.
- Executive Officer and member of IPO planning and implementation team.
- Established all sales and marketing budgets, strategies, and processes.
- Established brand awareness in an emerging market.
- Successfully integrated exisiting information products into new digitized delivery platforms.
1992 - 1996
Marketing and Publishing Leader
- Directed all marketing functions across all product lines and imprints of a $150 million college textbook publisher.
- Provided a strategic, customer-driven focus to the publishing programs, while driving sales and profitability.
- Established and managed the $15+ million company-wide marketing budget.
- General Manager of The Dryden Press, a $35 million Business imprint of Harcourt.
- Turned the division from negative margins to profitability in 1995.
- Maintained $35 million revenues despite releasing $5 million of unprofitable product.
- Significantly decreased amortized costs, and managed a $4.5 million budget savings.
- Held position of VP, Marketing.Key accomplishments: re-established brand identity post-acquisition, implemented a strategic marketing model which thoroughly involved the customer in product development and launched innovative new products integrating technology solutions with traditional textbook content.
1985 - 1992
Sales, Marketing, Editorial
Macmillan, Pearson Education
Held sales, marketing, and editorial positions at Macmillan and Pearson Education