new media, technology/media convergence, media and entertainment industry experience, high-impact problem-solving, strategic communications, design thinking, business and corporate strategy, marketing, Generation Y, strong MS Office skills (esp. Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop
The Harvard Crimson, "Harvard in the Time of New Media" [November 21, 2008]
The Harvard Crimson, "HRTV to Spark 'Love at Harvard'" [October 27, 2008]
New York Daily News, "Side Dish" [April 10, 2008]
Lazy Circles Blog, "Derek Flanzraich for President" [April 9, 2008]
The Harvard Crimson, "Candidates Give Face Time to 'On Harvard Time'" [December 5, 2007]
The Harvard Crimson, "Hate the Policy, Not the Program" [June 3, 2008]
The Harvard Crimson, "Why We Didn't Care Any More" [December 13, 2007]
The Harvard Crimson, "Ignore the Elephant In the Room" [October 18, 2007]
College senior looking forward to pursing my passion for both leadership/entrepreneurship and media/entertainment with an opportunity where my insatiably curious, team-oriented, intellectually restless, innovative, problem-solving, and dedicated approach can make a meaningful difference.
Nov 2008 - Present
- Rebuilt and revived the 35-student television group into a vibrant 210-member network.
- Developed 6 new television programs
- Convinced 4 existing independent shows to re-join
- Established a new process for selecting, funding, and training shows
- Created a new brand strategy (including launch of website: http://www.hutvnetwork.com)
- Negotiated partnerships with major organizations on campus.
Jan 2007 - Present
Founder, Executive Producer Emeritus
- Conceived, founded, and developed a 50-student organization that produces the weekly comedy news program that has become what The Harvard Crimson calls Harvard’s “most popular show.”
- Raised $30,000-worth of equipment from the University and local sponsors
- Constructed a fully-equipped TV studio from an abandoned house library
- Established biannual comedy show, over 1,100 people in attendance
- Built average per-episode viewership to 3,000, roughly half of the undergraduate population
- Interviewed Karl Rove, watched by over 36,000 online viewers.
- Authored and published “Creating a Harvard Student Organization That Lasts” in Harvard’s annual Leadership Institute Magazine.
Jul 2009 - Aug 2009
Portfolio Management Intern
Jun 2009 - Jul 2009
Film Finance & Production Intern
Jun 2008 - Aug 2008
Digital Entertainment Strategy & Operations Intern
- Ranked #1 out of over 600 interns; awarded NBCU’s Intern Excellence Award.
- Created and presented a consumer study on Generation Y social networking and media consumption habits to senior digital entertainment management, has shaped the company’s overall strategy.
- Developed and executed an online product integration plan for a digital original series
- Started “The Digital Daily,” a morning email report on developments in new media, still created and distributed.
2006 - Present
Bachelor of Arts degree in Government expected 2010