Devon is a unique leader in that he is technically perceptive and understands the unique management of our IT department. He adapts his communications style to each player in the team, which allows for flexibility and maximum performance from each. This focus has directed us out of the malaise and confusion under which he assumed management a short time ago.
Broad technical expertise resulting from over 20 years of in-depth experience in both Information Technology and Engineering. Accomplished leader with a focus on open and honest communication, mentorship, and the identification of individual strengths. Effective communicator with a recognized ability to work across both departmental and cultural boundaries. Talented innovator with a long track record of using technology and process improvement to significantly enhance the production of my teams and co-workers.
Standardization of Tools and Process
Own and operate a professional services company, specializing in IT Architecture, Microsoft SharePoint, Process Improvement, and business coaching for Technology Managers.
• Perform IT infrastructure assessments (including servers, workstations, networks, and applications) for strategic and/or troubleshooting purposes
• Assist in the creation and/or re-visioning of IT Strategic Plans, including such items as budgeting projections, workstation deployments, application rollouts, server and workstation virtualization, data storage backups, and disaster recovery
• Analyze common procedures and tool usage in order to increase efficiency and employee effectiveness through process improvement, automation, and training
• Assist companies with their Microsoft SharePoint deployments. Perform services such as Implementation Planning, Installation and Customization, Data Migration, and the training of administrators and end users.
• Train technology managers how to improve productivity through the use of Balanced Scorecards, Management Dashboards, StrengthsFinder, and a collection of strategies borrowed from Getting Things Done, Zen to Done, Franklin Covey, and the One Minute Manager series
Director of Engineering
Brought in as a management consultant to assess the Engineering department's product development processes, team dynamics, and infrastructure needs. Filled in as the acting Director of Engineering for the last 8 months of my consulting engagement.
• Assessed the Proof of Concept, Product Development, and Product Support processes using Capability Maturity Model, Stage-Gate, and Critical Chain Project Management methodologies as best practices.
• Used StrengthsFinder, Myers-Briggs, Situational Leadership II Model, GTD-Q, and the Q12 Questionnaire to identify employee strengths, personality preferences, leadership styles, productivity profiles, and to measure employee engagement.
• Established a set of metrics for tracking the Engineering department based on Balanced Scorecard methodology.
• Created a real time Engineering dashboard using SharePoint for the reporting and PowerShell for data collection.
• Performed the Project Management, Software Development, and Vendor Management duties for the Power Pilot product. • Oversaw product development and worked on several key strategic initiatives resulting from my assessments
• Assessed the IT Infrastructure and developed a strategic plan to lower support costs while significantly increasing reliability.
Senior Manager of Global IT Operations
Directed a large team, located in 5 different countries, while overseeing the corporate global infrastructure, including Servers (Windows, Linux, and UNIX), Networks (MPLS and VPN), Data Centers (Internal and Vendor Hosted), Monitoring and Messaging. Managed a majority of the company’s key infrastructure vendors and served as the chief troubleshooter during major outages. • Identified and implemented several key new technologies including Riverbed WAN Optimization, Altiris Global Inventory Management, FAX-by-email, NetFlow/Network Packet Analysis, Network Mapping, and Server/Network Monitoring
• Reduced a 24/7 four person data center operation down to a 8/5 one person operation for a considerable reduction in overhead
• Replaced an outsourcing vendor with 2 internal employees for a vastly improved response time at significant cost savings
• Restored the availability of all production servers at second largest company facility within 48 hours of closure due to flooding
• Introduced a heavy emphasis on automation through scripting, focusing primarily on the use of PowerShell
Engineering Tools Manager
Managed a team of engineering support staff across multiple sites globally. Helped lead the effort to standardize on a common set of tools and processes among the several different engineering teams worldwide. Served as a primary liaison between the IT and Engineering departments.
• Oversaw the global rollout of ClearCase, ClearQuest, and the automated build system created in my previous role
• Designed and began implementation of a global software componentization strategy
• Spent several months overseas, handling the logistics of moving development sites from Europe to Asia
• Implemented a global monitoring solution for critical Engineering Servers
Software Configuration Management Lead
Hired to completely redesign a Windows CE software build system, as well as to administer a Rational ClearCase system the company had just purchased. Served as an embedded IT support person in Engineering, as well as an unofficial liaison to the corporate IT department.
• Designed a fully automated build system which allowed developers to both request and monitor software builds via a web site
• Built an intranet portal for the Engineering department which was later adopted by the IT and HR departments as well
• Reduced the number of failed software builds by over 1000% through process improvement and developer training
• Reduced the amount of time needed for each build of Windows CE from 4+ hours to 2 hours
• Reduced the amount of time needed to incorporate a new release of Windows CE by an average of 2 months
• Consolidated several defect tracking tools and schemas into a single defect tracking system for the entire company
• Introduced and successfully championed several new technology products across the company such as VMware, SharePoint, ClearQuest, GoToMeeting, and Mind Manager
Sno-Isle Skills Center
• Student of the Quarter, Software Development program - January 1989
• Student of the Quarter, Sno-Isle Skills Center - February 1989
Business Value Planning Services (BVPS) provider
Business Systems Requirements Analysis
The Inteq Group
Rational Software Corporation
Business Process Management
The Inteq Group
Project Management Essentials
The Inteq Group
Innovation and Creativity
Aug 2004Nov 2004
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Franklin Covey Personal Coaching
Business Strategy Balanced Scorecard Strategy Maps Corporate Mission, Vision, and Values Strategic Organizational Change Product Roadmaps IT Strategy Employee Engagement Q12 Assessment Multipliers Drive Project Management Critical Chain Critical Path Personal Productivity Getting Things Done 7 Habits of Successful People Conflict Resolution Dealing With People You Can't Stand Team Assessments StrengthsFinder Myers-Briggs DISC Situational Leadership Model
Roles Software Development Software Test Configuration Management Project Management Platforms DOS Windows Windows Mobile Linux (Desktop, Embedded) UNIX Programing Languages C, C++ Pascal Visual Basic, Basic 8086 Assembly Scripting Languages PowerShell Python Perl VBScript, VBA Batch Scripts Born Shell, Korn Shell
Roles Infrastructure Management (Servers, Storage, Networks, Data Centers) End User Support Service Delivery Project Management Clients Windows (7 / Vista / XP / 2000) Linux (RedHat / Ubuntu / Debian / SUSE) Servers Windows Server (2008 R2 / 2008 / 2003 R2 / 2003 / NT4) Linux (RedHat, Debian) UNIX( HP-UX, IBM AIX, Solaris) Virtualization VMware Hyper-V Mobile Phones Windows Mobile Android iPhone
StrengthsFinder 2.0 - Relator, Learner, Belief, Restorative, Developer
People who are especially talented in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.
People who are especially talented in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.
People who are especially talented in the Belief theme have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for their life.
People who are especially talented in the Restorative theme are adept at dealing with problems. They are good at figuring out what is wrong and resolving it.
People who are especially talented in the Developer theme recognize and cultivate the potential in others. They spot the signs of each small improvement and derive satisfaction from these improvements.
Myers Briggs Type Indicator- ENTP ("The Visionary")
For ENTPs the driving quality in their lives is their attention to the outer world of possibilities; they are excited by continuous involvement in anything new, whether it be new ideas, new people, or new activities. They look for patterns and meaning in the world, and they often have a deep need to analyze, to understand, and to know the nature of things. ENTPs are typically energetic, enthusiastic people who lead spontaneous and adaptable lives.
IBM Rational Software Development Conference - May 23, 2005Come learn how Intermec created a state-of-the-art build system by combing the ease of Microsoft Sharepoint, the flexibility of VMware ESX Server, and the power of IBM Rational Unified Change Management. This session includes a discussion on constructing Web services around IBM Rational Suite products and a live demonstration of our build system.