Derek R. Drury
Derek R. Drury
3a The Pines, Huby, Yorkshire LS17 OHA
Telephone:01423-734717 Mobile: 07825459775
Director of IS, Board Member, Managing Director, Executive Team Member, Programme Director
Business focused and commercially aware with significant experience in senior executive and board roles, delivering major business change and utilising IT to enable business strategy and achieve significant cost saving / business benefit.
- Controlling portfolio investment in excess of £15m
- Achieving cost savings in excess of £5m pa
- Managing teams in excess of 50+ professionals
- Business focused utilising IT to enable business areas to achieve their strategic goals.
- Experienced in business strategy definition, change management, business continuity and disaster recovery
- Experience of retail systems in several diverse business areas, new technology deployment, financial control / budgeting and team management / leadership.
- Practical application of strategic level Project and Programme management
Director of IS (Commercial): The Co-operative Group Manchester July 2007- Jan 2009
Reporting to the CIO, responsible for IT Business Systems in 10 diverse business areas (turnover > £2bn) including Pharmacy, Travel, Funerals, Legal Services and responsible for the management of business investment of £15m+ pa comprising multiple project / programme deliveries.
- Completed major IT integration programme across the various business areas following extensive company merger in mid-2007.
- Led the strategic 3 year plan for future development for the whole of IS
- Built and led 4 highly effective, pro-active business teams (50+ professionals) to manage projects / programmes across the division
- Delivered cost reductions on integration of over £5m pa across the business areas
- Delivered business benefits of £3m pa on business system change programmes.
- Delivered significant system upgrades and related business change in several key areas in partnership with in-house development teams, offshore partners and 3rd. party suppliers.
- A member of the Exec of Pharmacy Division – Providing strategic input and project support for major new National Distribution Centre and for a new Joint Venture drug manufacturing plant in China.
- Manage key suppliers to leverage capability and value.
Director of IS (SRD): The Co-operative Group Manchester Feb 2006 – July 2007
Reporting to CIO and Deputy CEO responsible for IT Business systems across the Specialist Retail Division (SRD) with a business portfolio investment of £10m+ pa. and responsible for all aspects of IS management, including 3 year business plans and budgets, project delivery and service.
- Delivered a major e-commerce re-platform development for the Travel business utilising offshore and 3rd party resources which delivered significant sales growth (22% LfL) and enabled ‘own label’ package holidays.
- Controlled all major business change programmes within the Pharmacy and Travel business areas (i.e. not only system change projects) using SPM methodology and through the provision of high quality 'fit for purpose' Programme Office support.
- Led and managed a team of 40+; significantly improved their engagement in business agenda as measured by the annual staff survey.
- Successfully delivered branch network and kit upgrades across 2000+ retail sites resulting in significantly improved communication and speed of access.
- Responsible for Business Continuity in all divisional business areas.
- Delivered major service improvements via a Service Management Team utilising ITIL. Significant improvements in call waiting and abandoned rates were achieved whilst maintaining a consistent level of resource.
Head of IS: Co-operative Pharmacy Jan 2003 – Feb 2006
- Responsible for all aspects of IS management, including 3 year business plans and budgets, project delivery and service.
- Introduced Electronic Transfer of Prescriptions (ETP) into the business. Co-op Pharmacy were involved in the early specification of the Government N3 system and worked with both Government and software suppliers to become the first pharmacies in the UK to transfer prescriptions electronically. Following this we were the first group to be fully enabled for ETP and to utilise a corporate gateway onto the national network.
- Introduction of robotics into Pharmacy dispensing improving dispensing times by 25% thus providing opportunities for increased revenue.
- Managed programme to implement Broadband network across the whole of the Pharmacy estate of 350 branches.
- Successfully implemented a £7.5m investment in EPOS across 350 branches nationwide for control of the counter sales across the estate.
Information Systems Development Manager: National Co-operative Chemists Nov 1999 – Jan 2003
- Responsible for all HO and Branch systems
- Led a small development team to implement major change in all branch and HO systems
- Successfully re-platformed HO MIS system enhancing business information collection and reporting
- Successfully introduced e-mail and internet systems across the business, providing paperless invoicing and invoice matching and reducing HO costs by £1.5m p.a.
- Successfully implemented new branch Patient Medical Record Systems across 250 branches nation wide.
EARLIER CAREER INCLUDESDirector and Superintendent Pharmacist: Leeds Co-operative Society Nov. 1992 - Nov 1999
Managing Director: Greens Chemist, Coventry Dec.1988 – Nov 1992
Deputy Managing Director, Greens Chemist. 1985/88
Director, Greens Chemist. 1980/85
Branch Manager, Greens Chemist, Coventry. 1979/80
Pharmacy Manager, Boots Chemist, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. 1976/78
Key Skills, Business Experience & Capabilities
IT & Business Strategy Development and Definition
ITIL Best Practice Methods
Capital and Revenue Budgeting and financial control
Prince 2 awareness
Financial Planning and Budgetary Control
Business Process re-engineering
Risk Management and Mitigation
Vendor and Supplier Management
Business change management
Highly developed team leadership skills
Service and Support Management
Contract negotiation for Services And Support with Third party suppliers and consultancies
Diverse business system knowledge including
EPOS, Travel, Warehouse, Vehicle routing/tracking CRM, Pharmacy systems.
Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society.
Member of Institute of Co-operative Directors
1964-1970 King Henry VIII Grammar School, Coventry. Obtained 6 O-levels and 3 A-levels.
1971-1973 Aston University, Birmingham Qualified B.Sc. (Hons) in Pharmacy.
Ethnic Origin: British Status: Married Driving Licence: Full