- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Interactive Peer Group
- Twelve National and International Film, Television and Multimedia Awards
- Advisory Board, The Sports Video Group, Industry Technology Association
Entrepreneurial General Manager, Web 2.0 Strategist and Business Development Executive
- Multimillion dollar track record of growing and reshaping businesses
- National and international market creation for digital media products and services
- Production, distribution, and syndication of digital media across all platforms
- Skilled at building teams and leveraging organizational resources to launch products and build businesses
- Business plan development and venture capital fundraising
Oct 2010 - Present
Snr. Strategic Platform Advisor - Entertainment and Communications Sector
Platform Services Adviser, Microsoft David manages West Coast entertainment and communications customer relationships for the Microsoft Developer and Platform Evangelism (DPE) Team. In this role, he collaborates across the Microsoft organization to incubate, develop and execute next generation strategic platform and product initiatives with the entertainment industry
Jul 2001 - Aug 2010
VP Media and Technology Practice
David Catzel & Associates
Management and Business Strategy Consultant
Identify and solve strategic and operational challenges, while serving in an interim executive role. For example:
Barnes & Noble – Interim Chief Innovation Officer, Sterling Publishing. NY, NY
·Developed and implemented digital transition strategy for the non-fiction and children’s publishing arm of Barnes and Noble
The Wonderfactory - Interim Snr. Director of Business Development, New York, NY
·Lead the business development team for this Web agency with an innovative ad models focus. Blue chip roster of clients including WebMD.com, Martha Stewart,.om, Newsweek.com, HuffingtonPost.com, FoodNetwork.com, Washington Post among many others. Recent deals initiated and consummated include eTrade, Fox and ESPN
ESPN Consumer Products - Interim Senior Director, Business Development -- New York, NY
·Developed and implemented a branded consumer electronics product line with personalized, portable digital media download strategy. Negotiated a multimillion dollar licensee design and distribution agreement
Full Turn Media - V.P. Business Development -- New York, NY
·Secured and managed syndication and licensing deals with major portals and mobile providers for the company’s illumistream video brand covering the medical & healthcare, diet & nutrition, fitness & exercise, and beauty genres.
Obvious Technology - Acting COO -- Paris, France
·Raised funding, streamlined operations, negotiated strategic alliances for this French IP Technology Company.
Entriq, LTD - Interim VP, Business Development, MediaZone -- Santa Clara, CA
·Developed strategy and identified and negotiated key content deals in the sports, entertainment, and personal development categories for a provider of turnkey broadband solutions to niche content owners
Transmedia Communications - Interim Vice President, Business Development -- Geneva, Switzerland
·Negotiated multimillion dollar strategic content deals for a European IP Broadband content syndicator.
Jan 2008 - Feb 2009
VP Business Development & Digital Strategy
Develop and execute strategy to expand total available market for the company's services
Identify and secure deals for content development, audience acquisition, platform extension and building value for a sports social network connecting student athletes and experts.
Negotiated a channel partner relationship with one of largest high school athletic director associations reaching over 1,000 schools, estimated value $10M over five years
Nov 2000 - Jun 2001
VP Business Development
Business development component of a 5 person team that created Convera, with a $150M Intel equity investment , integration of a number of Intel business units and acquisition of Excalibur, for its search and media asset management technology. The company provided broadcasters and sports leagues with an open architecture solution for indexing, management, storage, distribution, and syndication of text and digital video assets. The company was restructured in 2001 and now sells vertical search products and solutions.
Led an international cross-divisional sales and technology team to secure long-term multimillion dollar contracts with entertainment and sports properties for this digital media products and services company.
- Secured international channel partner for immediate broadband, iTV and wireless customers to establish the service.
- Initiated key relationships with major league sports franchises
Jan 1999 - Nov 2000
Director Strategic Investments - Sports and Entertainment
Managed technology, infrastructure, and content investments for the sports and entertainment sector of Intel Capital, the $400 million investment arm of Intel Corporation.Identified and supported equity investments in promising young companies enabling the creation and distribution of rich media experiences to the home, with a primary focus on sports.
- Led cross-divisional team including product group, marketing, advertising, and treasury to close $42 million in equity deals; managed and grew the resulting international portfolio of sports technology and content companies including CBS SportsLine, SportVision, Quokka Sports, Rivals.com and Orad Technology
- Developed and enacted investment strategy based on early identification of significant market trends in the investment sectors which increased category deal throughput by 100%.
Mar 1996 - Dec 1998
Manager, Entertainment Industry Broadband Program, Intel Content Group
Developed thecompany's ‘new uses for new users strategy’ to expand the market for Intel processors by implementing programs with the major entertainment conglomerates to enrich the Web with technology and content distributed across broadband, DTV/iTV/IPTV and other emerging platforms.
- Managed Intel marketing, technology, and venture capital investment programs to secure long term deals between Intel-supported technology providers and major studios including Universal and MGM.
- Identified and managed strategic relationships between key technology providers and the major studios and broadcast partners, particularly in the online games, advertising and e-commerce areas
- Initiated and deployed a broadband digital sports strategy including developer relations, alliances, venture capital, and marketing programs to position the company as a leader in digital sports and generate over $100M in revenue in under two years.
- Negotiated strategic engagements with movie studio and broadcast partners to secure $32 million in content, marketing and promotional deals including a $5 million, five year iTV deal with NBC and converged media initiatives and with ABC Television and DirecTV for a satellite-based interactive television pilot.
Jan 1991 - Feb 1996
VP Sales and Marketing, GM IBM Business Partner Unit
Directed international sales and marketing group for North Communications and its IBM “InfoMedia” interactive transactional network products and services businessto secure major international government contracts.
- Developed and implemented public access programs for state, federal, and local government through kiosks in supermarkets and shopping centers, which provided easy citizen access while reducing costs to the government.
- Collaborated with IBM to package an InfoMedia suite of kiosk software and hardware products.
- Key accounts included the state-wide Info/California project, in conjunction with 12 State agencies and the Governor's office; Info/New York, a city-wide public access network; Info/Texas, a statewide touchscreen system unifying 6 state agencies and the Governor's office in a public-private partnership; and many others. Samples of this work can be seen online at http://www.mediasense.com/northcommunications/
Nov 1989 - Feb 1990
Director, Corporate Sponsorship (1990), Technical Director, Luminaire Entertainment MarketPlace, (1989)
- Developed and pitched a multi-million dollar, multi-year sponsorship package to Fortune 500 companies for the Luminaire Entertainment Marketplace.
- Led cross-divisional design team in conceptualizing and developing technical specifications and budget for a $15 million technical and media package for George Lucas’ Luminaire Entertainment Marketplace project.
Feb 1983 - Dec 1988
Built and managed the largest music video production company in the world, known to the labels for its television commercial discipline and creativity, and by artists for its stable of celebrity directors and award winning style.
- Secure extended contracts from the labels by identifying underperforming line items in their marketing budgets
- Generated artist interest (including Diana Ross, Kansas, Alabama, The Judds and John Mellenkamp) by developing and promoting a stable celebrity directors and film industry professionals
2006 - 2007
Continuing Executive Education
Continuing Education Courses for Senior Media and Entertainment Executives
Branding in Media and Entertainment: IME with the Kellogg School of Management.
Managing Technological Change in Media and Entertainment: IME with IESE Business School, University of Navarre, Spain.
Jan 1974 - Apr 1979
Bachelor of Commerce
University of the Witwatersrand
Primary course focus in business economics and marketing with computer studies in assembler languages Cobal and Fortran