Director of Planning
City of Waxahachie, TX
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead a staff of talented planning and GIS professionals to provide customers with a one-stop destination for all of the key functions related to the City’s development review process.
• Oversee the department’s $450,000 budget and the city’s impact fee program.
• Help the city envision its future and find a proper balance between new or re-development and essential services, environmental protection, and innovative change.
• Maintain a sound understanding of applicable planning, zoning, State, and Federal laws; related to but not limited to: annexation, exactions, property owner rights, eminent domain, and land use.
• Added stability to the department after the loss of the previous 9-year tenured Planning Director, as well as the prior City Planner and GIS Technician.
- Hired three new employees within one year to fully staff the department.
- Guided the department through full employee turnover and a drain of institutional knowledge.
• Overhauled application submittal, review, and approval procedures to streamline the entire development process, which was praised by residents, developers, colleagues, and City leaders.
• In fiscal year 2016, increased departmental efficiency in order to effectively process a 75 percent increase in applications with only a 30 percent increase in staffing.
• Implemented an interactive, online mapping service that cut staff research time by more than 80 percent and provided a valuable tool for Waxahachie residents and developers.