Director Application Development
$130MM not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies more than 15,000 health care organizations in the United States. Internationally recognized as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization's commitment to meeting certain performance standards.
(1999 - 10/2008)
Reporting to Vice President, Information Technology and responsible for staff of 25-30 professionals, $2MM consulting and $15MM expense budget. Accountabilities included managing organization's application portfolio of over 20 major applications that supported technology needs for staff of 1,000 in Finance, HRMS, Business Development, Marketing, Communications and Business Operations. Included CRM (customer relationship management) and Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing applications to support 15,000 external clients. Selected accomplishments include:
- Led transition of application portfolio software from client/server to web enabled. This streamlined customer input and access and provided additional customer value with more timely and relevant information for no additional customer fees.
- Spearheaded technology infrastructure changes required to automate new line of business in a cost effective fashion. Resulted in ability to scale technology expense in line with business revenues.
- Guided the implementation of Business Intelligence projects that decreased financial reporting risks and increased business access to data used to better understand customer trends.
- Introduced application development methodologies and metrics that moved IT higher on the Software Development Methodology Capability maturity model resulting in faster delivery of applications, with higher quality and less risk to the business.
- Ensured IT team talent was hired, trained, coached, recognized and provided with on the job opportunities to continue professional development resulting in high performing teams and negligible turnover the last five years.
- Established key consulting vendor partnerships that enabled knowledge transfer to internal staff and reduced consulting costs.
Director Technical Services (1997 - 1999)
Reporting to Vice President Information Technology and responsible for staff of 30 professionals. Managed $2MM capital infrastructure budget and $5MM operating expense budget. Supported 1,000 end users across the country. Accountable for Network Infrastructure, Security, Telecommunications, Database Management, Help Desk, End User Training and Computer Operations. Selected accomplishments include:
- Insured adequate assessment, planning, budgeting, testing and implementation for Y2K upgrades and replacements were accomplished without any system outage and that systems were more dependable on an ongoing basis.
- Spearheaded rapid internet, extranet and intranet implementation and growth resulting in being able to inexpensively expand communications and engage customer more directly throughout the customer life cycle.
- Directed operating system, office suite and phone system upgrades. Provided testing and training to insure that upgrades caused a minimum of business disruption and leveraged improved productivity of staff.
Manager Information Resources (1994 - 1997)
Reporting to Director Technical Services and responsible for six Database Analysts and supporting IT staff of 100. Accountable for enterprise wide data modeling, database design, performance optimization, security controls, software and hardware installation and upgrades, and coaching development team in query design. Selected accomplishments include:
- Architected core business data model and databases that resulted in highly reliable and reusable database infrastructure.
- Supported startup, development and delivery of 15+ major initiatives during a rapid modernization and growth cycle. This resulted in key automation of core business processes that lowered the survey process length, increased standardization of business process and contained operational costs.
Database Administrator (1993 - 1994)
Reporting to Director Technical Services and responsible for the start up of the database management function. Accountable for supporting and mentoring staff of 30. Selected accomplishments include:
- Established Database IT standards, policies, procedures and methodology resulting in new applications delivery and ongoing maintenance activities that were highly dependable and repeatable processes.
- Participated in first pilot application development project to transition to a client/server environment. Resulted in a dramatically faster collection and higher quality of information from health care organizations seeking accreditation.